Gibson Brands Forums

Reliable Stand for Multiple Guitars

jchabalk

Hi there - i figured you guys would know the best of anybody. I've been looking for a stand for multiple guitars. Right now i use those individual "on-stand stands." They work fine but are pretty flimsy and i'm now out of space.

I've been looking for a stand that will hold multiple guitars. Right now i need to have 2 acoustics and 2 electrics, but something with slightly more capacity might work also.

I've seen those things that are sold at the Guitar Center, there are a few options there, and they may work fine. So far the one that appeals to me the most is the Fender 7-guitar stand:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-7-Guitar-Case-Stand-454508-i1142292.gc

I like this one as it's fabric that makes contact with the guitars rather than that crappy PVC foam padding that the Guitar Center ones have. I've been looking around all over an can't find the dimensions of that Fender Case/Stand thing (i need both "open" and "closed" as i have a limited amount of space.

Do you guys know of something similar that would have enough space for what i want to store? I figure there's got to be something out there that's well-built and protects the guitars well. I think that because of the deluge of low-end stands they're really difficult to find online.

Any suggestions? And/Or does anyone have a fender 7 guitar case and can provide me with the dimensions?

Welcome to the forum.

I use the Quik-Loc guitar stands. They come in 3, 5, or 7 guitar models. I have two of the 7 models and two of the 5 models. They are a little hard to find in the States (made overseas), but IMHO, they're a great stand. They do have the PVC protective contact areas, but are advertised to be safe for guitar finishes. I don't take any chances though, and cover all of mine with cotton diapers. Here's one link for a company that sells them.

http://musiclandexpress.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=47

I leave mine out all the time. However, they do fold for easy storage, if the need arises.

I use Hercules wall hangers. I find the wall hangers much more safe - especially in smaller rooms - and the guitars breathe very well when fully exposed in a climate controlled room.

If a portable stand is required, the Hercules are indeed exceptional, but there are also folding multi-stands you can build or have built out of plywood that work very well. For a gig situation, a road case with a clamshell top is ideal for multiple guitars as the case and stand are a single unit.

If you check out some online photos from guitar manufacturers, you will see a basic rack made from 1x3s in almost every factory. This type of stand can be built with common tools and is very effective at providing a secure storage center for your instruments.

Think ahead as well. Are you going to add to the collection? How many will the stand need to hold at that point?

thanks guys! this is great information. I'm definitely interested in the Hercules stands. Can you tell me - do the guitars sit fully upright in it, or do they lean to one side? I was thinking about the wall hangers, i live in san francisco and the earthquakes make me paranoid about hangers (in reality they're probably as safe as a floor stand).

I've got a relatively tight space i'm trying to work within :-k

thanks guys! this is great information. I'm definitely interested in the Hercules stands. Can you tell me - do the guitars sit fully upright in it' date=' or do they lean to one side? I was thinking about the wall hangers, i live in san francisco and the earthquakes make me paranoid about hangers (in reality they're probably as safe as a floor stand).

I've got a relatively tight space i'm trying to work within :-k[/quote']

They pretty much sit upright. They actually lean back slightly. Also, just keep in mind how many guitars you may eventually want your stand (s) to hold. For the price of two Hercules Triple stands, you can probably get one Quik-Loc 7 stand model cheaper and it will hold more guitars than the two Hercules triple stands.

With wall hangers, you also have to watch where you install them. You don't want them on any outside wall.

imNSho, "reliable" and "Guitar Stand" do not belong in the same sentence.

They're like factory issue, bolted in the trunk, car jacks. Like my daddy says, "Don't never trust 'em. They're a necessary evil but dont' never trust 'em."

Even the 'best' stand made won't keep some nickle nubbin, or drummer, or little kid, or pet, or yourself, from hookin' em with a stray belt loop and dumpin' the whole works on the floor.

They're okay for parkin' you guit tar while you thumb through a music book or change a CD, but never turn your back on them.

They're a necessary evil for on stage use if you and other guit tar players use multiple guit tars at a gig. But, spot them where they are out of the lanes of movement so nobody goes back by them unless it's the guit tar players.

The link you provide seems to be about as study as they come, but I don't see how the necks are secured in their slots, if at all. Also, this one makes some compromises on studiness, and weight to make it portable. But, if the neck can be secured in such a fashion that it takes two hands to remove a guitar, as opposed to a 'quick release' and the fold out sections take more than a nudge to collapse the whole affair, then I'd say it's about as good as you can expect for an out of the case guitar stand.

Good luck.. you may need it!

Those things give me the willies!

Even the 'best' stand made won't keep some nickle nubbin' date=' or drummer, or little kid, or pet, or yourself, from hookin' em with a stray belt loop and dumpin' the whole works on the floor.

quote']

..or drummer!!! lol! 'nuff said.

they'll knock your guitar over while they're trying to sneak into practice late and/or drunk.

• 1 month later...

(reviving this thread i started a few months ago..)

i've kind of been looking around off and on lately and haven't been able to find something that fits yet. They're either too wide (i'm in an apartment and have pretty limited space where i can put these things) or don't hold my guitars (2 acoustics, 2 electrics, an extra space would be nice too eusa_whistle.gif )

Today i bought a road runner case at the guitar center for $150 that i thought would do it. I filled it with guitars at the store and it was all good. It slides right into the space i have even letting me stash my mandolin between it and the bookcase that butts up against it. The kicker though is that my acoustic doesn't fit in it ('76 Hummingbird). The heel is too high for the case and hits it. I could cut the case out and screw around with it. I could make it work but it'd never be right as the case isn't too high-quality to begin with.

I happened upon one online tonight that will probably work and wanted to see if any of you guys have one, or have used one before?

The Ultracase GSX-6 will fit right where i need it. And I can use one of the 2! empty slots to stash my mandolin! They even provide good measurements which i could never find with the other cases. They even have pictures of it with both acoustics and electrics. Again, something the other manufacturers don't have.

http://www.ultracase.com/stands.shtml

The downside is the price of course (~$500) - but i'm sure can dredge one up on the cheap given enough time and i'm not in a big rush. So anyway - if you've used one of these and could give me any pros/cons that would be great.

The only other option i can find really is a fender case of similar design. It's only slightly cheaper and doesn't appear to be of the greatest build quality. The ultracase is made in the USA and is solid!

If you have one for sale too feel free to PM me =D>

• 1 year later...

I happened upon one online tonight that will probably work and wanted to see if any of you guys have one' date=' or have used one before?

The Ultracase GSX-6[/quote']

Yup, used many. Only have one theses days (so, no, won't sell it).

These are THE stand to have. There isn't anything to do to improve the design (I've even been trying), and I would almost guarantee that TommyK could throw his drunken drummer into one and the guitars would be unscathed.

The downside is the price of course (~$500) - but i'm sure can dredge one up on the cheap given enough time and i'm not in a big rush. So anyway - if you've used one of these and could give me any pros/cons that would be great.

The price is certainly a turn-off. Especially since materials clock in around $100' date=' and after 23 years or so of building 'em, you'd think they'd have their production costs and overhead under control.

Aside from that, my only other complaint with them is weight. I've always thought they slightly heavier than they need to be. As a bar band, it's only a small pain in the butt, but if you're loading your gear in and out of a semi or box truck every night, you're much more concerned with weight as a total. But it's practically a non-issue...

Finding them used- It's HARD. The price point on these isolates the market to pretty much ONLY successful bands and working professional techs. When a given band or tech 'throws in the towel' they usually mange to sell off their gear to friends who are ALSO bands or techs. So it's not too often that one makes it to an 'open' market.

I've only seen three on Ebay over the last year and half, and a couple on craigslist (like one in Chicago and one in LA), but the craigslisters don't always ship.

And even in some of those cases, the pricing was almost as stupid as new....

So be prepared to look for quite a while, but you might actually be able to turn something up.

The only other option i can find really is a fender case of similar design. It's only slightly cheaper and doesn't appear to be of the greatest build quality. The ultracase is made in the USA and is solid!

There IS a huge quality jump. I haven't seen any of the derivative designs that you can find at GC (the Fenders, Gators, Warwicks etc) that I deem worth what they're charging, let alone a reasonable substitute for an Ultracase.

The thing is, the Ultracases are made to do two things- hold guitars and travel. From what I've seen in the stores, the knock-offs can barely do one of those.

If you're still looking, PM me. I'm sure I can offer further guidance....

sean

Archived