Gibson Brands Forums

My Guitar Self Destructed in Storage!

Gary Moore Tribute

AN ACTUAL UPDATE!

I'm amazed to say that "Gibson" in Denmark have accepted that it is a "Warrenty" Issue with the volute and it has now been sent back

Now I need to wait AGAIN! to find out

If they fix it (My least favoured value wise & for playability)

or as I would prefer that its replaced or even possibly they offer me a choice of another model

Now another 1-2 month wait! [cursing]

You lucked out, man. I've never heard of a broken headstock being treated as a warranty issue. Its kind of typical on Epiphones and Gibsons. Congrats on it though. You are one of the lucky ones. [biggrin]

• 1 month later...

Well Another update of sorts...

Gibson contacted Dawsons and have accepted it was a Warrenty issue and are supplying a NEW COPY!

I don't know if it will be another Silverburst or one of the other types (Red, Ebony or maybe even a white one (God I would scream if it was!))

Anyway in the mean time I have decided to do the prep work and buy the "Gibson" Upgrade

$(KGrHqUOKkUE1GKH!7SdBNgeZ6!hv!~~0_1.JPG

SG Type Toggle switch

IMG_0180.jpg

Burstbucker 1 & 2 Pickups and G0 Gibson Pots with capacitors

(The "Gibson" Silverburst was limited to 400 units!)

Gonna be lovely when she's done [biggrin]

I'm certainly not an expert but I've seen several similar repairs come through my boss's shop - He told me that this is a characteristic problem with SG's throughout the years and is a combination of the thin neck profile and, as others have pointed out in this thread, a lack of a supporting Vollute. One should never lay the instrument flat where the tip of the headstock( I know you didn't - just a tip for other owners) rests on a surface and causes strain at the headstock/neck juncture.

As to repair - The spline system is great for breaks where wood is missing from the joint and definitely adds strength. I've also seen them repaired by gluing the pieces ( Bob uses structural epoxy) and clamping. So far I've not seen one come back for further attention.

At any rate I'm sorry for your trouble and I hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction whether through repair or replacement - It's a bit like seeing one of your children with a broken arm, isn't it?

Best of luuck!

Bob

I'm certainly not an expert but I've seen several similar repairs come through my boss's shop - He told me that this is a characteristic problem with SG's throughout the years and is a combination of the thin neck profile and, as others have pointed out in this thread, a lack of a supporting Vollute. One should never lay the instrument flat where the tip of the headstock( I know you didn't - just a tip for other owners) rests on a surface and causes strain at the headstock/neck juncture.

The neck being made of mahogany is a factor as well. It is much weaker than maple, as you know. I still feel that the case had a role in this. If the neck support is just a little too high, it can cause stress to the neck and possibly snap it. Its is probably a good idea to look at the neck/head area as the case is being closed to see if it is stressing the neck.

Well its arrived!!!

HRoGD :rolleyes: (Happy Return of Guitar Day)

It was made in Febuary this year! (1102...)

Gonna need to set it up tho (The bridge pickup is FAR to high and the bridge itself needs a little correction)

About time, you must be so happy to have finally received a replacement, what colour is that, not silverburst is it ?

Its silverburst again but, yeah it took FOREVER!

I'm not sure tho if I should sell to buy a nighthawk, what would you surgest?

Well I have to admit, a NightHawk is an interesting prospect, difficult decision, I suppose it depends on how much you bond with the new G400.

The reason I asked about the colour is it seems like it has a greenish tint to it.

Its silverburst again but, yeah it took FOREVER!

I'm not sure tho if I should sell to buy a nighthawk, what would you surgest?

well I'm in agreement with Rastus, play the replacement silverburst and see if you bond with it before deciding.

Archived