Gibson Brands Forums

I need your help again (Big Muff)

Silenced Fred

Fred can you post a pick of your pedal with the bottom plate off? It might be working like this but it shouldn't be working like this. There is a reason why and the circuit is not just going to change ins and outs on its own. If for some reason the polarity of the battery being reversed is allowing this to happen then it is not a good thing as now your ground is sending voltage and your hot is acting like ground essentially reversing the circuit voltage path which is not good. Just like you wouldn't want electricity being sent through the 3rd lug of your amplifier power cable. If the only thing that was removed and replaced was the battery clip and you are absolutely positive it was hooked back up correctly. There is a chance that the leads inside the battery clip head are crossed. This isn't that uncommon especially on the cheap little clips with the vinyl cover that most pedals use. Regardless pedals are designed to use DC meaning direct current meaning that it should only flow in one direction or you can burn up components especially polarized capacitors. That's why you have to be careful that the polarity on a "Wall wart" power supply matches the polarity of the pedal.

The only possible way that this could be working without detriment to your pedal as well as other potential risks to your other pedals is if the input jack and the output jack were swapped in the wrong holes if they were removed and put back in. Usually the Input jack will be a TRS ( Tip, Ring, Sleeve ) connector (Tip is hot signal, ring is a circuit interrupter to disconnect the battery when it is unplugged and the sleeve is the Ground) where your output should just be a ring/sleeve connector but could also be a TRS without the ring connector hooked up.

Just thought you should consider this.

Andy

Fred can you post a pick of your pedal with the bottom plate off? It might be working like this but it shouldn't be working like this. There is a reason why and the circuit is not just going to change ins and outs on its own. If for some reason the polarity of the battery being reversed is allowing this to happen then it is not a good thing as now your ground is sending voltage and your hot is acting like ground essentially reversing the circuit voltage path which is not good. Just like you wouldn't want electricity being sent through the 3rd lug of your amplifier power cable. If the only thing that was removed and replaced was the battery clip and you are absolutely positive it was hooked back up correctly. There is a chance that the leads inside the battery clip head are crossed. This isn't that uncommon especially on the cheap little clips with the vinyl cover that most pedals use. Regardless pedals are designed to use DC meaning direct current meaning that it should only flow in one direction or you can burn up components especially polarized capacitors. That's why you have to be careful that the polarity on a "Wall wart" power supply matches the polarity of the pedal.

The only possible way that this could be working without detriment to your pedal as well as other potential risks to your other pedals is if the input jack and the output jack were swapped in the wrong holes if they were removed and put back in. Usually the Input jack will be a TRS ( Tip, Ring, Sleeve ) connector (Tip is hot signal, ring is a circuit interrupter to disconnect the battery when it is unplugged and the sleeve is the Ground) where your output should just be a ring/sleeve connector but could also be a TRS without the ring connector hooked up.

Just thought you should consider this.

Andy

Yeah... I was going to look into it later. I was just glad it actually worked and it wasn't something broken.

I'll take pictures when I get home from class

It sounded just like a regular black Russian Muff in that video. It sounds like the guy put the input and output backwards but I don't know why he would even take them out when all he was repairing was the battery clip.

Maybe he thought he had to to open the enclosure or something? It is kindof a funky enclosure.

It sounded just like a regular black Russian Muff in that video. It sounds like the guy put the input and output backwards but I don't know why he would even take them out when all he was repairing was the battery clip.

Maybe he thought he had to to open the enclosure or something? It is kindof a funky enclosure.

Maybe he did flip it, I'll have to look

Archived