Gibson Brands Forums

PAYPAL protection?

Spot

Hi guys, I'm looking to possibly buy a guitar from a US Vintage dealer outside EBAY and was after some advice....

The dealer in question does not deal on EBAY and is offering to go via PAYPAL if I have any concerns. I thought PAYPAL only offered protection for Buyers on an EBAY purchase???

Anyone have any experience with this?

[confused]

Hi guys, I'm looking to possibly buy a guitar from a US Vintage dealer outside EBAY and was after some advice....

The dealer in question does not deal on EBAY and is offering to go via PAYPAL if I have any concerns. I thought PAYPAL only offered protection for Buyers on an EBAY purchase???

Anyone have any experience with this?

[confused]

Might be wise to use your credit through PayPal rather than your bank account. The seller will never know the difference and you will then have the fraud protection of your credit card as a backup. Just a thought.

Paypal is owned by Ebay; paypal used to offer a 5k guarantee although when Ebay purchased them that went away except for Ebay purchases. I would do the credit card and paypal just in case also. Make sure you check this company out via google and BBB before you get that guitar.

:huh:

....See this what I original thought, however if you read the Paypal web site as follows:-

PayPal Purchase Protection

Protection

We're here to help you shop with confidence, no matter where you are on the Web. That's why we created PayPal Purchase Protection. It means you may be protected when something goes wrong with an order, or if someone uses your account without permission.

You're Protected if:

1. Your order never arrives

All you have to do is log in to your account and open a dispute to get the refund process started. And if you made the purchase on eBay, start here instead.

2. Your order arrives, but it's significantly different than it was described

There are a variety of scenarios that meet this condition, for instance:

1. You received a completely different item.

Example: You purchased a book, but received a DVD.

2. The item's condition was misrepresented.

Example: The listing said new but the item had clearly been used.

3. The item is missing parts or features, and this was not disclosed.

Example: The listing said batteries included - but they weren't.

4. You purchased a specific quantity of an item - but received the wrong amount.

Example: You purchased five pairs of fuzzy dice, but only received four.

5. The item was damaged en route to its destination.

Example: You bought a beautiful antique lamp - and it arrived in pieces.

6. You received a counterfeit version of the item.

Example: You purchased a Rolex but received a Faux-Lex.

The process here is the same as above - log in to your account and open a dispute to get the ball rolling.

3. You were charged for something you didn't purchase, and you report it immediately

This may mean someone has used your PayPal account without authorization. As long as you report it within 60 days, PayPal will launch an investigation and you will be covered by our $0 Liability for Eligible Unauthorized Transactions programme....

So it actually looks like you can file a claim outside the BAY:-

QUESTION:- I didn't receive an item or it was not as described when it arrived, what can I do?

You can open a dispute in the ‘Resolution Centre’ of your PayPal account within 45 days of payment in the event that:

• You don’t receive the item

• You receive an item but it is significantly different than the description

To file a dispute on a transaction:

Go to the Resolution Centre > Report a problem > Choose Item dispute > Follow the onscreen steps

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction. If you're unhappy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. PayPal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

I think PayPal is a separate entity from EBay. PayPal is widely used for internet purchase on many sites.

But be aware PayPal is not absolute protection from someone charging your account. My son has/had a PayPal account, attached to his debit card, and therefore his household bank account.

He hadn't used PayPal in almost a year, when a $500 charge showed up against his household account for a Satellite phone purchase. [scared]

He went a couple 'rounds' with PayPal trying to get the money back in his account. They kept 'investigating.' It was getting 'long towards the bill paying time of the month, so he went to his bank, a Credit Union actually. He explained his dilemma. They said, "No problem Mr. K. We'll have the money back in your account by tomorrow." And, they did. [thumbup]

My guess is that the CR processes many transactions sending PayPal money every day. All they have to do is put a hold on $500 worth until PayPal gets done 'investigating.'

My wife and I have established a special bank account, attached to PayPal, which is only used for internet purchases. It has a modest balance in it and is separate and distinct form our household account. Should this account get tapped, there WILL BE NO AUTOMATIC TRANSFERS from our household account. This is discretionary money and minimizes our personal, financial risk. Should it get hacked, we can still pay the mortgage.

Archived