Gibson Brands Forums

New Tune (a little different from my usual stuff)

rocketman

I actually wrote this a while ago, but I decided to redo most of it. It's a bit different than what I normally write. I was in an "in your face" kind of mood so I wanted to do a straight up funky-style of rock tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CaGo8agoBs

Here are the details. I did all guitar and bass parts. I used EZdrummer for the drums; I did some hand editing of the drum parts, which took a while but it's a lot of fun. I used my weight relieved Les Paul Standard running into a Vetta II amp direct into CUBASE 5 through PreSonus FireStudio. The bass is my new Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass.

The main guitar riff in the chorus section is in octaves. That is not overdubbed, which took me forever to get down right...lots of practicing. I added a little bass solo in this version (how could I not with that awesome bass which "pops" like a dream?!). And yes, that's me sorta rapping before the bass solo. Don't ask what I'm saying because I already forgot, except for when I say "and now it's time for a bass solo." The guitar solo is pretty much done in one take. At first I didn't like it but I can't seem to do a better one so I left it in. I used my Gibson Sonex for it because of its screaming "Dirty Fingers" pickups.

I need to add vocals which I'll do with my drummer. Feedback welcome!

Loved the real sweet crunch there... Sounded a bit like "Are you gonna go my way" few times, combined with sl00shtone [thumbup].

Maybe it was my phone, but some guitar parts jumped out much louder than others. Can easily be fixed in the mixing, but again, it could be my phone.

The drums sounded "live", which was cool.

The bass sure was popping! That was nice. Enjoyed the rocking tune, rocketman! [thumbup] [thumbup]

This is just awesome - really, really catchy - and dare I say it quite Extreme - esque too! msp_thumbup.gif I am listening to it through my imac and the balance sounds very good. There is a bit where a riff kind of jumps out, but I thought it sounded deliberate?!

By the way, the distortion tone is honey on the ears... it is just really sweet!!

I wonder how it would sound with a brass section when the guitar does the wah bits?!

Matt

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it was deliberate. I softened up the parts where vocals would come in. It'll all be remixed again later. I didn't think about putting some brass in there, but that's a great idea!

Archived