Gibson Brands Forums

Satin 335 or 339

TinyJimbo

I am looking to buy a Gibson ES guitar. I can spend $2000.00.

Since the ES-335 is 3k, I've been looking at both satin 335 and the 339.

I don't understand the difference between the two guitars. I am looking for vintage bluesy and Rolling Stones tones. I already have a 54 Strat to cover some of that, but it's not giving me the punch and clarity I want.

Also, what is the difference between custom Gibson and USA Gibson ? Are the custom shop Gibson, even the 339 made by hand ?

Thanks.

I don't have a Gibson 335 but I do have an Epi DOT that is the same body size. I also have a 339 with the 30/60 neck.

I like the body size and the feel of the 339 better than the 335 size body. For me the smaller body is just more comfortable to play.

Now for the sound, I love the 339. I like the way the neck fits my hands, the different tones I can get out of this guitar are unbelievable. The 339 will get you the tones you are looking for plus more. I would recommend the 339.

Read this, which should help you. Some people do not believe that the Memphis shop is the custom shop. I never really care about this at all. The bottom line for me is that both guitars are great. I like the 339 because it's smaller but still gives a great sound. I truly believe that the 339 has been Gibson's best new guitar in the last 10 years. BTW, I got my figured top 339 for $2,200 brand new. Those deals are out there if you can find them.

es339fc.jpg

Back in '07 when I purchased my natural finish 335, I compared it to three other 335s, as well as two satin 335s. For whatever reasons, the two satin 335s sounded dark & lifeless compared to the standard 335s. No kidding, they were miles apart in tone. Last year I picked up a red 339, and it's every bit as well made as my 335. Tonally, the smaller 339 body has a more compressed sound, which is simply different. Based on the guitars I've sampled, I'd recommend the 339 before the satin 335. Imho, the 339 is currently one of the best buys on the market.

I've enjoyed The Stones for ever and believe Keith Richards is a fan of the 335

And of course Eric Clapton makes great music also thereon

Both guitarists are associated with great S/C sounds too...Teles and Strats

The 339 seems to answer many players' questions about easy handling and tight versatility

But for me at least, the 335 is one of those classic designs that got so much right first time

A guitar which rewards careful tone adjustment and amp matching

Coming in at various price points

A truly 'versatile' tool.....

V

:-({|=

I don't have a Gibson 335 but I do have an Epi DOT that is the same body size. I also have a 339 with the 30/60 neck.

I like the body size and the feel of the 339 better than the 335 size body. For me the smaller body is just more comfortable to play.

Now for the sound, I love the 339. I like the way the neck fits my hands, the different tones I can get out of this guitar are unbelievable. The 339 will get you the tones you are looking for plus more. I would recommend the 339.

Read this, which should help you. Some people do not believe that the Memphis shop is the custom shop. I never really care about this at all. The bottom line for me is that both guitars are great. I like the 339 because it's smaller but still gives a great sound. I truly believe that the 339 has been Gibson's best new guitar in the last 10 years. BTW, I got my figured top 339 for $2,200 brand new. Those deals are out there if you can find them.

+1 to both. I've got a Dot that's been modded with new p/u's, wiring, pots, etc. and a 339. It's a great guitar. Here's a promo video that might help you:

http://www.gibson.com/Files/AllAccess/2007/Audio_Video/ES339_DEALERSv1/VideoPlayer.html

I am looking to buy a Gibson ES guitar. I can spend $2000.00.

Since the ES-335 is 3k, I've been looking at both satin 335 and the 339.

I don't understand the difference between the two guitars. I am looking for vintage bluesy and Rolling Stones tones. I already have a 54 Strat to cover some of that, but it's not giving me the punch and clarity I want.

Also, what is the difference between custom Gibson and USA Gibson ? Are the custom shop Gibson, even the 339 made by hand ?

Thanks.

TinyJumbo, not to rock the boat on anything else that was said, but if you could get your hands on a CS-336 (CS=Custom Shop) and try that, that's another alternative in the price range you're looking at. I got a 2008 CS-336 VS Plain-top last March for $2099.00 at one of my local music stores. This is like a hybrid between the ES-335 and the Les Paul. It has '57 Humbuckers and a great palette of sound between the two pickups and tone knobs. It's similar to the ES-339 in that it is semi-hollow, except the wood is a solid mahogany carved back with a solid carved maple cap as opposed to laminated maple as is used in the 335 and 339. So if you're looking for a guitar that can do it all that's the ticket, too, if the 339 is out of your price range. And yes, my CS-336 was made by hand. Also, this guitar will also give you vintage bluesy and Rolling Stones tones that you're looking for. I'm a huge fan of Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, as well as Eric Clapton and when I play their music I can get the tones on this guitar.

I've had my new 335 Satin for about a month now, and it's Awesome!! I was in the same position as the OP, and when I side by sided the 339 with the Satin 335, the 335 seemed to be more alive and responsive. I really like the 339, maybe I was biased because I knew that I wanted a 'real' 335 and if I didn't get it I would have buyers remorse until I did have one. I changed the pup's in my Epi-dot as well, and I was happy with the tone, but nothing can compare to an actual Gibson 335 after I had it in my hands and felt it then heard it.

My suggestion would be If you want a 335, get the 335. The Satin finish looks beautiful and plays like a dream. Again, I'm not down on the 339, it's just different and if you want a 335 then that's what you should get. It's like buying something that you want but in an indirect way (i.e. you wanna hear "Dark Side of the Moon", so you put on the Eastside Dub Allstars version. It's a great version but it's not Pink.)(Btw, not trying to raise a debate about music preference, just wanted to illustrate a point [smile] )

Archived