Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop ES 335

Enmitygauged

hey People I wonder if you can help me figure something out. Last Year I bought an ES-335 In Beale St Blue. Very nice guitar plays smooth and fast sounds awesome yeah yeah its great. I bought this new from a Gibson Licenced Dealer probably the most repected one in Australia. What I cant figure out is why it is a custom. Everything on it is standard except I am told the Colour, it came in a Gibson Custom hard case with the blank cover and included a Gibson Black book which states it is a custom shop guitar. Its the real thing but I have seen other Beale st blues that are not Custom shops so why is this?

serial 02058728

:-

The 335 was reclassified as custom shop, even though nothing about the guitar or who produced it had changed. They are made in Memphis and the custom shop is in Nashville - go figure. Its a change in name only; total marketing.

The color Beale Street Blue was a regular production color offered a for a while, and discontinued a few years ago. So it was made before the reclassification. Same guitar though.

Ahh thanks that explains it. One thing though you said it was made before the reclassification?? but then it wouldnt be a custom it would just be a Memphis ?? sorry perplexed and a little pissed cos I paid more for this than a cherry 335 because I was told this was a custom shop

The 335 was reclassified as custom shop' date=' even though nothing about the guitar or who produced it had changed. They are made in Memphis and the custom shop is in Nashville - go figure. Its a change in name only; total marketing.

The color Beale Street Blue was a regular production color offered a for a while, and discontinued a few years ago. So it was made before the reclassification. Same guitar though.[/quote']

What year was the reclassifacation?

When was Beale Street Blue discontinued?[biggrin]

According to Gibson, the Memphis shop is a custom shop, and any 335 or other ES/arched-top made there came from the "Custom Shop"...and have CS COAs, cases, tags, labels (though Memphis) etc. Don't think there should be a "custom shop" premium from one to another of these (non-Historic) types, as they are all now "CS", from Memphis. Maybe he hit you for being a 'limited edition' 335L? Some sites list the BS Blue as limited/discontinued, but there is a 2010 on EBay currently. Anyway - it is certainly a popular color worth having!

On custom shops...

"In 2000, Gibson kicked open the doors on the Memphis Custom Shop, appropriately just one block from the blues and barbecue joints that line Memphis, Tennessee's legendary Beale Street....Home to some of the world's preeminent luthiers, the Memphis Custom Shop specifically handcrafts Gibson's fine Electric Spanish and Archtop lines, producing models like B.B. King's Lucille, the ES-175, and the iconic ES-335..."

http://www.gibson.com/_microsite/electricspanish/customMemphis.html

and from this forum...

"If I understand correctly from responses that Admin has posted here, the Memphis factory where the ES guitars are made is under the same corporate umbrella as the Gibson Custom Shop in Nashville (where the artist one-off's and special orders and the Historic Reissues are made). Both are certainly distinct from the main production factory known as "GibsonUSA."

But from '08...

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153062

"This statement is not at all accurate! The guitars from the Memphis facility are called "Gibson Custom" NOT "Custom Shop". ONLY the 335's built in Nashville are true Custom Shop guitars. And the Nashville built guitars are the ONLY ones with the Historic Reissue appointments. Yes the Gibson Custom 335's come with an orange label inside and have a certificate but they also have the serial number on the back of the headstock which Custom Shop guitars do not have."

"Former Gibson USA ES-335 production in Memphis is now under the Gibson Custom portfolio and renamed Custom Shop ES-335 production. They are basically the same spec with the Plek finishing improvements, easily distinguished by the impressed (8 or 9 digit) serial numbers on the back of the headstock and "Made in USA". Recent production will also have an orange label in the body stating they are MEMPHIS made."

Anyway, this is all interesting...and helpful! I knew my old 335 Satin was Custom/Memphis, and but wasn't sure about my 336. Now I know the 336 is 'a true' Custom Shop / Nashville.

y'know, the more that's written on this subject the more confusing it gets. Last year I scored a new '59 Reissue 335. It has no serial number on the peghead, just a Custom Shop logo. These were supposed to be limited to 250 total production, so who the heck knows, but if Gibson's overall organization is a wacky as the 335 family has become it's time for an exorcism. Lord!

Ok So I spoke at length to the Australian Gibson Rep. He has put it much like the Les Paul Custom yes its badge Custom but its not a custom Shop. The Memphis Custom Shop make all ES-335 except reissue models. The staff even sometime change sites.

They make to the same exact standard All ES-335 are Memphis Gibson Custom not Gibson Custom Shops even though they are made in the Memphis Custom Shop. Mine was apparently a special order and not a production paint. I validated this by seeing the Stores order form.

So in short I love the guitar custom shop or not. I just wish it was less confusing. Mark them the same mark the historics/vintages as VOS and the problem goes away

I don['t remember the year, but sometimes colors are availible that are not on the website. For example, a dealer can allocate a brown 335 (flametop version only) and its not one of the colors advertised for that model. Its possible Beale Blue is that way as well, just call a good Gibson dealer (not GC) and ask them to inquire.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The 335 was reclassified as custom shop, even though nothing about the guitar or who produced it had changed. They are made in Memphis and the custom shop is in Nashville - go figure. Its a change in name only; total marketing.

That is good to know, because when I bought my 335 I wasn't aware that there was a difference. Plus, I have read threads that suggest that the Nashville "historic," $1000 higher than the Memphis counterpart, is a superior guitar. Though they may be, I played my Memphis 335 for the first time in several weeks, and marveled at the feel and tone.

Previous discussion, Memphis v Nashville 335

That is good to know, because when I bought my 335 I wasn't aware that there was a difference. Plus, I have read threads that suggest that the Nashville "historic," $1000 higher than the Memphis counterpart, is a superior guitar. Though they may be, I played my Memphis 335 for the first time in several weeks, and marveled at the feel and tone.

If you are happy with it, that's all that counts

The wild thing is that I have seen 2012 Models (not historic) without the Custom Shop logo and CS serial number on the head stock, and then other ones with it. I'm not sure if this marketing thing applies to only the non-standard colors (Beale Street Blue etc.) or what. Mine has the more figured top, and maybe that is the method behind the (marketing) madness. Anyway this new blue one is my 4th ES-335 that I have owned. Every other one has been Wine Red and totally awesome.

The wild thing is that I have seen 2012 Models (not historic) without the Custom Shop logo and CS serial number on the head stock, and then other ones with it. I'm not sure if this marketing thing applies to only the non-standard colors (Beale Street Blue etc.) or what. Mine has the more figured top, and maybe that is the method behind the (marketing) madness. Anyway this new blue one is my 4th ES-335 that I have owned. Every other one has been Wine Red and totally awesome.

I note from your handle that you're a classic ES 335 kind of guy. Here's one of my ES 335's. It's a Nashville '59 Historic, made in 2009. A-series serial number, marked only on the orange label (Nashville) inside. No headstock number, no custom shop decal. This is the way the Historics are marked.

59ES335.jpg

Archived