Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V no serial #

curios

Looking for input as to why there is no serial # on flying V. Trying to identify it.Obtained it in 1999, it had been stripped down.Mahogany neck with no volute.Short style head stock. allen wrench truss rod nut.Dot inlays.Mahogany body composed of 3 pieces of wood.No tenon.Gibson ABR-1 BR-010 bridge with posts screwed directly into body. stop tailpiece. chrome hardware. neck set in body.I was told that Gibson subcontracted with A company to make 100 flying Vs in the 70s or 80s. I think the name of this company was polaris. I have no idea of the accuracy of this story, but could it explain the lack of serial #. Thank you in advance for your input.

the allen wrench truss rod makes me think its an epiphone? and lack of serial number could be its was on a sticker or printed on with paint and not stamped into the wood. can you post some pics would be easier to tell by looking at the guitar.

the allen wrench truss rod makes me think its an epiphone? and lack of serial number could be its was on a sticker or printed on with paint and not stamped into the wood. can you post some pics would be easier to tell by looking at the guitar.

Yeah, Gibsons dont sport that normal allen wrench truss rod. And epi's have been known to have the #'s on stickers

Trying to load pictures.Thank you for your input. It doesn't look sanded enough to remove stamped in serial #.Leaning towards sticker or painted serial #.Hardware fasteners are standard, not metric.Did Epiphone stamp or paint serial #'s? Did they use metric or standard ? Where are epiphones made? The head was originally black (I can see some black paint under truss rod cover}. I see no traces of paint anywhere on body not even in electronics compartment.Original tuners were the type with one small wood screw per tuner in back. Had large type pick guard.Came with blank white nut cover. EMG85 & EMG89.Inlays are in center, rose wood fretboard no binding.

Archived