Gibson Brands Forums

traditional or not traditional

awel

Let's not confuse the Traditional or Traditional Plus with the Traditional Pro. I have only heard of grounding / electronics issues on the "Pro".

I think it would be hard to go wrong with the Traditional or Plus. I will be owning one shortly.

Silly question but ... what is the difference between the Traditional, Traditional Pro and Traditional Plus?

Beautiful! I've been saving my pennies for just one of these. Love the 57 PUPs and the 50s neck, and I really dig the Ice Tea finish. Your pics should inspire me to keep saving.Congratulations!

Indeed 57 pickups are very cool, I have it also on SG 61 and defintively, I love the way they sound, at the shop I have tried a 2008 std with burstbucker, but I found the burstbucker too agressive, but it is only my opinion :)

Beautiful top! I have 4 gibson basses: 2 LP Std.s, a double Cut, and an SG-RI. The workmanship on every one of them is top-notch. The only complaint I have is they all had Corian nuts, and after a few string changes & tunings - they're shot (round-wound bass strings just eat 'em up) But nuts are easy to replace, so for me it's not a big deal. I've been playing for over 40 years, and have never found a bass I like more than my Les Pauls.[thumbup]

Let's not confuse the Traditional or Traditional Plus with the Traditional Pro. I have only heard of grounding / electronics issues on the "Pro".

I think it would be hard to go wrong with the Traditional or Plus. I will be owning one shortly.

I have them both and they are both great guitars. Never had problems with either.

[thumbup]

Congrats! The top looks great on it. Yes, you do hear about problems with guitars, but most people don't go out of their way to tell about problems they never had! For me I never had any major problems and I love my Les Pauls.

Take a multimeter and check for continuity between the bridge posts and the output jack. If you have continuity it means they grounded your Les Paul correctly (they soldered a wire to the bridge tone control pot and ran it to the the bridge post). I bought one where they didn't do that and it buzzed like crazy. In fact they drilled a hole at the wrong angle and it didn't come close to the bridge posts. To add insult to injury they took a small piece of wire and balled it up and stuck it down the hole to make it look like ther was a ground wire however when I shook the guitar upside it fell right out. When I opened the control cavity up there was no ground wire run from the tone control to the bridge posts like the one I have now. At first I had a little amount of electrostatic buzz when I pulled the pot up to run the pickups in single coil operation but after replacing the stock caps with orange drops and re-soldering some of the solder joints the buzz is gone completely. I also put some copper shieldting on the back of the control cavity plate.

Archived