Gibson Brands Forums

DR name plate on PR-150

Ksjudson

I just bought an Epiphone PR-150 NA at Guitar Center and noticed a small plastic plate attached to the head stock with 3 screws. The plate is engraved with "DR". Does anyone know what this means or the purpose of the plastic plate?

Darned if I know. A quick trip to Musician's Friend shows a brand new, out of the box, PR150 with a three screw truss rod plate decorated with a script, "DR".

The DR prefixed model numbered guitars have a truss rod plate reading, "Gibson".

DR, one would suspect means DReadnaught, of which, the PR150 is.

Call it a homage to Doc Watson.

Why is this a DR? Same thing.......

faded...

They are both, technically, dreadnaughts. The difference may be bracing or bling. Maybe someone from Gibson Customer Service can explain.

You could follow this thread: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Epiphone/PR-150.aspx in the Epiphone products blog. It appears to require a separate log-on ID.

According to the factory web page:

Please note: This Special Run model is available exclusively through select Epiphone dealers.

It is definitely a square-shoulder dreadnought, in any case. The meaning of the "PR" is a company secret, like Colonel Sanders' 11 secret herbs and spices.

Edit: I have a guess, though. That model is included in an Epiphone "Player Pack" - maybe that's the reason for the "P" designation.

I stopped by the local Guitar Center today and asked them the same question that I posted here.

They said the plastic plate is an access plate to the truss rod. They also said that DR means dreadnaught. I bought my PR-150 alone (i.e. it was not part of a Players Pack.

Here is another question. What is the difference (other than price) between a PR-150 and a DR-100? They sure look similar to me. I submitted this question to Gibson/Epiphone, but haven't received a response yet.

oh ya I forgot to mention the PR-150 is the best guitar under $150 I've ever tried, if it is your first guitar you got lucky and picked up a good one! I once was in a Bed Bath & Beyond waiting around while the wife was shopping and they had some First Act guitars boxed up for $99. This lady and her friend were both about to buy one each for their 12-ish year old sons. I had a close look and the action was so high enough to drive a truck under the strings. I told them to go get an Epi PR-150 for just $30 more and their sons would be more likely to stick with it, and they both said thanks and they would go get one from Guitar Center right down the street.

I stopped by the local Guitar Center today and asked them the same question that I posted here.

They said the plastic plate is an access plate to the truss rod. They also said that DR means dreadnaught. I bought my PR-150 alone (i.e. it was not part of a Players Pack.

Here is another question. What is the difference (other than price) between a PR-150 and a DR-100? They sure look similar to me. I submitted this question to Gibson/Epiphone, but haven't received a response yet.

lol we all were so caught up figureing out why it would say "DR" when it isn't technically in the "DR" line we didn't catch that you didn't know that was the truss rod cover! LOL we r smartists! [tongue]

Hello kids long time since I posted anything, but let me help you out here.In 2004 Epiphone decided to rename all the current PR models and designated them DR models yours is just a cross over.

So your guitar would now be a DR-150 NA.ship.............does the search not work still because I am sure we have discussed this before when folks were asking about the PR-350's

According to the factory web page:

Please note: This Special Run model is available exclusively through select Epiphone dealers.

The meaning of the "PR" is a company secret, like Colonel Sanders' 11 secret herbs and spices.

Edit: I have a guess, though. That model is included in an Epiphone "Player Pack" - maybe that's the reason for the "P" designation.

PR stands for "Presentation". That is all I know.

Archived