Gibson Brands Forums

Best way to get a 'Gibson' style LP

Paulocon

Sorry you didn't get the gist of what I was saying...simply agreeing with the fella who said that no two LPs were alike. I just added that because all guitars are different is the reason why I like to play any I can get my hands on...because of the sound.

The fella is Milod btw, and I just added to your comments as you did to Milod's, are your comments meant to be the final say on any given line of thought, grow up man.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I had my Les Paul Classic, the only thing I did electrically was change out the stock pickups for a set of old Gibson "T-top" pickups out of a '70's SG, that transformed the guitar sonically...was a completely different guitar after that...sounded SO much better. Then just small cosmetic things, changed out the stock bridge for a Gotoh, diecast tailpiece for a TP6, took the trusscover and flipped it over to the white side, gogld witch-hat knobs with chrome centers, mother-of-toilet pickguard that I could never decide to keep it on or off (anyone here knows the guitar will confirm that). I miss that guitar.

See I have a totally opposite view. I love the Gibson 496R and 500T pickups that come with a Gibson Les Paul Classic. In fact I changed the 490R and 498T pickups in my Gibson Les Paul Custom to the 496R and 500T pickups. My friend bought a old late 80s/ early 90s Samick artist LP copy and I gave him the 490R and 498T pickups that came in my LP Custom when I got it.

It's all a matter of what tone you want. Go on youTube and lookup Les Pauls with the different Les Paul pickups in them. The videos of course won't do the tone justice but will kinda give you an idea of what everything sounds like. Then go get an Epiphone Les Paul and install the Gibson pickups you like in it. It won't give you that 100% Gibson Les Paul tone but it will get you close to it. Also look at the new 2011 Gibson Les Paul Melody Makers that are limited edition for 2011. They come with one Gibson 498T bridge pickup. There only 1200 being made in what Gibson calls a "Melody Maker" style (i.e. there will be SG, LP, Explorer, and I'm not sure what other style). They are made here in the USA and are only $539 and come with a Gibson USA Gigbag.

I would highly recommend this guitar to someone like myself who can't justify dropping a ton of cash for a guitar. Were I a professionally gigging musician, then yeah....but I'm not. I'm a school teacher. This, to me, is the closest thing one can get to a Gibson Les Paul without breaking the bank.

And rock out to you for that my friend. I'm a non-gigging guitarist myself, i suggest to the OP get the best guitar you can and just enjoy it. Sometimes it's just that simple.

The fella is Milod btw, and I just added to your comments as you did to Milod's, are your comments meant to be the final say on any given line of thought, grow up man.

Well sir, I'm aware of what the gentleman's name is, I was simply just approaching my post with a sense of casualness. I apparently breached your rules of posting in forums. Sorry about that.

Secondly, I was merely agreeing with Milod by posting my opinion. I didn't call him out concerning the wording of his post the way you did me. The only time my comments are meant to be the final say is with my daughter.

Grow up? Never.

Be mature and civil? I'll try my best.

I'd like nothing more than to be able to have intelligent conversations here with fellow guitar enthusiasts about the instruments we love and why we love them. I hate that apparently you and I have gotten off on the wrong foot, as you seem like a knowledgeable person who has a lot to offer conversationally.

Hopefully this will be the last exchange you and I will have to have concerning this unpleasantness, and we can use the space here for what it intended. If not, then I guess I'll just have to experience the Gibson forums with one less new friend.

Have a great day.

And rock out to you for that my friend. I'm a non-gigging guitarist myself, i suggest to the OP get the best guitar you can and just enjoy it. Sometimes it's just that simple.

lol...that's actually my wife's company line on the matter...she and I both know that if I had the scratch, I'd drop it in a second for a Gibby. But don't get me wrong...I'm not one of those who went home with the ugly woman and is trying to convince myself that she's a "10". I am REALLY glad I bought the Tribute Epi LP. Even if down the road I acquire a Gibby LP, I'm still going to keep the Epi.

I've owned The following Gibsons:

1978 Les Paul Custom

1979 Les Paul Custom

1979 The Paul

Loved 'em, had to sell when I joined Military.

I now own 2 Epi LPs (and a couple of others):

2006 Epi LP Classic (Amber Quilt Top), 498T/490R Gibson pups, Gibson Deluxe Tulip Tuners

2008 Epi LP Studio (Worn Brown), 498T/490R Gibson pups, Gibson Deluxe Tulip Tuners

Honestly, I'm totally satisfied with the EPIs, and I DO get together and Gig

on a Regular Basis. I just did a wee Guitar upgrade or two.

It's amazing how often these debates come up. [biggrin][biggrin][biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejbz4RVh0oU

I have an Epi LP and after a new bridge, APH-1 b & n, TUSQ nut, a new CTS neck tone pot, a bit of fret work i prefer to use that guitar than my Gibson. The gibson even after different pups still sound different but very attractive. The only thing im concered about would be buying another EPI LP and it never sounding like my first EPi but hey like it has been said before no 2 guitars are EVER the same, even if one of them cost 4 times as much :)

Archived