Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone here know about "smart" phones?

heymisterk

Hey All,

I am in the market for a new cellphone and am considering an Android or other smart phone.

Here is my question: I love playing Pandora (even pay for it so I don't have the commercials) on my laptop, and the idea of having it in my car is really intriguing.

So...Is it possible to get a phone that can be logged into Pandora AND plugged into my aux outlet? That sounds like a great combo. To me, it would be as good as satellite radio.

Thanks!

Jeff

Guest FarnsBarns

Now you are talking my language, I am an Android hacker and was involved in the original G1 rooting process. GET ANDROID. open source is the only way to go. At the moment I have an HTC Desire and a Desire HD. Can't beat HTC handsets! Feel free to PM me if you do get Android and would like to get root access.

Also check out xda-developers.com

Now you are talking my language, I am an Android hacker and was involved in the original G1 rooting process. GET ANDROID. open source is the only way to go. At the moment I have an HTC Desire and a Desire HD. Can't beat HTC handsets! Feel free to PM me if you do get Android and would like to get root access.

Also check out xda-developers.com

Would I be able to do what I asked in the original post?

Guest FarnsBarns

The thing is people like this develop apps for Android more readily than iPhone because Apple have a tenancy to refuse to allow an app for no good reason, then a large software house miraculously release a similar app within weeks. Google cannot do this unless the app is Malicious.

The thing is people like this develop apps for Android more readily than iPhone because Apple have a tenancy to refuse to allow an app for no good reason, then a large software house miraculously release a similar app within weeks. Google cannot do this unless the app is Malicious.

They have some catching up to do!

Guest FarnsBarns

Yep, but with Android outselling iPhone 5to1 and new apps coming out at 3to1 it won't take long!

There's a lot of technical reasons why Android is "better" than iPhone, that said iPhone is trendy and that counts for some people. For me It's the open source approach, myriad downloadable user interfaces (free), home screen widgets, Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) that means devs can manipulate hardware more easily that does it. I have an iPhone 3gs and a 4 as well (im a developer so I need them). I got Android running on my 3gs a while back, that surprised a few people!

Guest FarnsBarns

i dont own a cell phone, so no help here. i dont feel a need to be that connected [thumbup]

Very sensible, I like nothing more than to get away from phones, email and the like for a while. Being self employed I don't get to do that very often because there is no one to take up the slack.

First off, Farns, I have to warn you that when I spoke on smartphones and apple v android I got a lot of flak for it, so heads up there.

Also, Heymisterk keep in mind if you're going to be streaming internet radio over your device you'll need a very large data plan, as you'd be streaming premium audio content. The best way to determine how much you'll use is to download some form of data watcher on your P.C and leave it on while listening to the pandora radio, see how much data it consumes.

You may find, Android or iPhone or not that the data it would take to do what you want to do might not be worth it.

Cheers,

Guest FarnsBarns

First off, Farns, I have to warn you that when I spoke on smartphones and apple v android I got a lot of flak for it, so heads up there.

Thanks, I only wanted to offer technical advice to a question. I won't say this on many subjects but I am an expert in anybody's book.

I don't mind flack, everyone's entitled to express their opinion, as long as it doesn't get personal. I love debate although I won't tolerate flaming! Thankfully this forum seems to be amazingly flame free, good people!

Lots of good advice here, and I am thankful. I really like having my XM radio, but it's an aftermarket set-up and not integrated into my regular radio, which looks sloppy. Then, of course, there is the $12 a month (family XM plan) that I pay. I will have to balance the pros and cons of this one.

One thing I know: Other than NPR, I don't listen to ANY regular other radio. I have long thought commercial FM sucks.

Thanks, I only wanted to offer technical advice to a question. I won't say this on many subjects but I am an expert in anybody's book.

I don't mind flack, everyone's entitled to express their opinion, as long as it doesn't get personal. I love debate although I won't tolerate flaming! Thankfully this forum seems to be amazingly flame free, good people!

In terms of smartphones and experts that makes two of us. Though mine is more from a training perspective, than a programing one.

Guest FarnsBarns

Do you still get charged for data by usage over in the states? I'm pretty sure that everyone over hear just pays a small monthly fee for data and that's it. I know on T-mobile all Android users get unlimited data. I have a business package that specifically allows me to use my phone as a modem. With Android 2.2 and up allowing WiFi tendering, that means all my friends can connect to my phone as if it is a router.

Also, Heymisterk keep in mind if you're going to be streaming internet radio over your device you'll need a very large data plan, as you'd be streaming premium audio content. The best way to determine how much you'll use is to download some form of data watcher on your P.C and leave it on while listening to the pandora radio, see how much data it consumes.

You may find, Android or iPhone or not that the data it would take to do what you want to do might not be worth it.

Cheers,

Great point Brandon, I don't think of that because I still have a unlimited plan and I plan on hanging on to that as long as I can.

Do you still get charged for data by usage over in the states? I'm pretty sure that everyone over hear just pays a small monthly fee for data and that's it. I know on T-mobile all Android users get unlimited data. I have a business package that specifically allows me to use my phone as a modem. With Android 2.2 and up allowing WiFi tendering, that means all my friends can connect to my phone as if it is a router.

Here in Canada the typical data plan is only about 500 megabytes for a voice and data plan of about $50. We have a 1 gigabyte plan for 55$ but that's a promotion currently. Thankfully my carrier does offer a free text at 75% and 90% of your monthly data threshold, but no here in Canada we don't have unlimited data anymore.

We used to on the old CDMA network, but it was too slow to ever go over any amounts anyway.

Yes I know that with tablets and smartphones and their cellular ability to become wireless tethers are great and it's horrible that you only get up to 1 gig here usually, but we only have less than 40 million people here in Canada stretched over a vast area, we're doing what we can haha.

Archived