Gibson Brands Forums

Damn it man!

es336td

GP051009001.jpg

This is my 1968 Gibson ES-335TD. I bought it in 1972 (with help from my grandmother) for $350. It is my favorite in the collection. I am playing with a classic rock band and bring it to any gig where the environment I feel is safe and I know I'll be able to keep my eye on it; it just has that sound! In mid February, I was playing it and noticed it continually went out of tune. I slid my hand down the neck to play an E or something and to my shock and horror, this is what greeted me...

JessicaNeckFracture002.jpg

I took it to my local luthier and he fixed it so I could barely see the crack! I played it last Saturday night and it sounded great! As we were packing up, the sound crew had run cables and my stands were on or around the cables. When a crew member pulled a cable, the guitar fell face first on the floor and cracked again. I couldn't tell if it was the same place or not. The crew member is a good friend and he feels damn bad about it. He's taking it back to the luthier today. I have no doubt he'll fix it again with no trouble. Did I mention I really love this guitar? ;D

My question is...

1. Are the cases they call California Girls (tan on the outside/pink on the inside) available anywhere? Is there a better case? I believe the first crack was caused by it falling over on its face in the case. Whiplash, I guess.

2. Are there any stands out there that are fairly tip proof? I use Quik Loc stands that just support the body... not a good choice. I know the best thing is to put her away when I'm not playing, but I have to switch guitars during the night for open tunings and the like and that would definitely slow down the show.

Thanx!

L

Sorry about the headstock breaks. Man it just takes your breath away when it happens. Its worse if you actually see it happen. I hope it gets repaired.

1. I would look into a SKB ATA case. I don't know if they make one specifically for a 335 but maybe the open case would work. I have seen a Les Paul in the LP version and a salesman jumping up and down on it in the neck area with no damage. Here's a link (not that I am recommending or not recommending Musician's Friend)

SKB case

809891.jpg

2. Maybe a case-stand would be more stable. There are many versions out there and would not be that hard to build one yourself. I would not stand them straight up like in this photo though. Maybe more angled. The 7 guitar case may be good for holding 3 guitars on the side of the stage and putting room between the guitars.

case-stand

261306.jpg

Yes, the cases with the pink lining are available (not new), check eBay. And a case-stand would indeed be much more safe and tip-proof. Here's the bad part.......it likely will not matter what case your Gibson is in, if it falls over the headstock can still snap off. The tension of the strings, combined with the way the wood grain runs on a Gibson neck at the headstock, combined with the amount of material removed for the truss rod access all combines to make one very weak area. Any sudden blow, in or out of a case, can snap the headstock. :( It has happened to so many......just gotta be as careful as you can. Most people don't gig with a vintage axe that has survived this long without this kind of damage. I hope it gets repaired quickly so you can get her singing again!

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest a Hercules stand... When you set the guitar on the stand the weight of the guitar causes to finger like prong to close and lock the guitar in place... These stands saved me from a broken head stock a couple of times...

GP051009001.jpg

This is my 1968 Gibson ES-335TD. I bought it in 1972 (with help from my grandmother) for $350. It is my favorite in the collection. I am playing with a classic rock band and bring it to any gig where the environment I feel is safe and I know I'll be able to keep my eye on it; it just has that sound! In mid February, I was playing it and noticed it continually went out of tune. I slid my hand down the neck to play an E or something and to my shock and horror, this is what greeted me...

JessicaNeckFracture002.jpg

I took it to my local luthier and he fixed it so I could barely see the crack! I played it last Saturday night and it sounded great! As we were packing up, the sound crew had run cables and my stands were on or around the cables. When a crew member pulled a cable, the guitar fell face first on the floor and cracked again. I couldn't tell if it was the same place or not. The crew member is a good friend and he feels damn bad about it. He's taking it back to the luthier today. I have no doubt he'll fix it again with no trouble. Did I mention I really love this guitar? ;D

My question is...

1. Are the cases they call California Girls (tan on the outside/pink on the inside) available anywhere? Is there a better case? I believe the first crack was caused by it falling over on its face in the case. Whiplash, I guess.

2. Are there any stands out there that are fairly tip proof? I use Quik Loc stands that just support the body... not a good choice. I know the best thing is to put her away when I'm not playing, but I have to switch guitars during the night for open tunings and the like and that would definitely slow down the show.

Thanx!

L

The only Stand I recommend is one I use. http://www.raptorcase.com.au/carrysafe/

You cant get better

Archived