Gibson Brands Forums

A recording - Thread now a theory question - Matt?

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

I have recently set up my studio for the first time since I moved. I was going through all the old tracks in my multi-track. This is about 6 years old now and was a basic idea when it was recorded, I was really just learning how the increadibly complex Roland VST2400CD actually works.

The percussion and bass lines where created with PropellerHeads Reason. The rhythm and lead tracks were recorded with my old LP standard plugged strait into the multi-track's high gain guitar input.

It's a very mellow track, it's certainly electronic ambient and has a sad feel about it.

Because I was messing about with the multi-track not all the layers come in until about half way through.

SoundCloud

Guest FarnsBarns

BTW, it doesn't change much other then the different layers coming in one by one. As I say, it was the very early stages of a project. I am gona try to remember how it was played and turn it into a proper song.

Thanks for sharing msp_thumbup.gif ; it is the perfect emotive soundtrack to watching Tottenham so far be 4 nil down to Real Madrid!

It sounds like the lead guitar is using a volume swell affect? Nice work my friend!

Matt

ps

You're FarnsBarns on soundcloud too! msp_biggrin.gif

Guest FarnsBarns

I am now!

My first name's Charlie, there was a radio comedian in the 40's (I think) called Charlie Farnsbarns. My parents used to call me FarnsBarns when I was a kid. Then I got to about 10 and didn't like it. Then I became a teenager and rather liked being known as Barns, then I grew up and stopped it, then the internet came along and it started again!

Re: Volume swell, Of course it does, I'd forgotten and not thought about it, it must have been recorded through my Zoom modeller and into the multi-track then!

Guest FarnsBarns

Man that is so cool!!!!

George Harrison would be proud!!!! You have that Rubber Soul Indian vibe nailed [thumbup][thumbup]

Thanks Duane.

I'll post some more recent recordings once I get an SM57 from somewhere to mic up my amp. I hate that guitar into mixer sound.

Nice tune / music........I had one of those Rolands....Had tons of music on it; it was stolen along with many CD masters......

I'm now using a Korg D3200.........nice machine......Been doing lots of recordings and collabs.......

At some point I'll let you here some demos via a private link.........

Guest FarnsBarns

Nice tune / music........I had one of those Rolands....Had tons of music on it; it was stolen along with many CD masters......

I'm now using a Korg D3200.........nice machine......Been doing lots of recordings and collabs.......

At some point I'll let you here some demos via a private link.........

I look forward to it! Don't forget now!

Great work, Barns (or Charlie?).

I could really imagine it being used as the soundtrack for a film such as 'Subway'. All cool electronic zooms and fades for an indie visual treat movie-wise.

[thumbup]

P.

Guest FarnsBarns

Well, I remembered the chords. I knew the first chord was an odd Am but couldn't remember where I found it, it just came to me and as soon as I started it all came back.

Who can give this Am it's proper name?

e/1¦----0---

B/2¦----0---

G/3¦----5---

D/4¦----7---

A/5¦----0---

E/6¦----x---

Or A,C,E, and then a B?

A is the root. (open A/5 string and another an octave higher at the 7th fret on the D/4.)

C is the minor 3rd. (G/3 5th fret)

E is the fifth (open e/1)

B is a 2nd/9th (open B/2)

It's that B that's got me. What does that make it? It's only half a tone from the minor 3rd and in the same octave as the third and one of the roots. Seems weird and wrong, sounds great.

Please note, all the above was worked out with an image of a neck in my head and counting notes, if you find a mistake, do say so.

Any way, is there a name for a minor chord with a 2nd in it or can I be imortalized by the invention of the 'Barns chord? Like Hendrix' mixed third E#9 being known as the Hendrix Chord.

Don't sit down and play it coz you owe me 50p per strum [lol]

Archived