Gibson Brands Forums

PIRACY of your music, Please READ if you are affected.

Chrisdude

I seem to be at WAR a little. But it seems to be a war which I am winning?

OK, probably all have downloaded music here which really you should not have. Peer to Peer is IMPOSSIBLE to stop.

However, one thing I am certain of are these remote storage sites. Mediafire / Rapidshare etc.

Nomatter WHERE these servers are they HAVE TO abide by what is called DMCA rules.

I was shocked to find that it took me 3 minutes to find and download our new CD, including all artwork on a completely open server.

This is blatent serving of copywrite material, so, what do you do?

ALWAYS look at there terms and conditions on copywrite infringement. They HAVE to have one. usually dmca@website.com or abuse@website .com.

Carfully read their abuse policy. Sometimes they require a simple email, sometimes they require a PDF document.

I have taken the time to upload a PDF for you to look at as an example.

dmca_mcs.pdf

In my example it obviously shows the original artwork which only myself and Al Barrow has.

You cannot produce a pdf? No problem, download and install "PDFcreator".

It acts as a printer. Create your word document (or any program you wish) and click "File" > "Print" and choose printer "PDF Creator", you now have a PDF of your document.

An example of the email I have used which is sometimes enough is as follows.

Hello,

My name is Chris Johnson, guitarist / producer and one third owner of the following link.

I ask on behalf of the band that the following link please be removed from your website.

http://www.mediafire.com/dieyouwanker

I understand that you cannot be made responsible for all uploaded content, however I request immediate removal of this link please. Our record company(Z-Records) and legal team have been informed, I also request the uploader to be dealt with in accordance with your terms and conditions.

Chris Johnson

Guitarist and Public Relations for Holy Rage

Remember, and this will make you feel all fuzzy. ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS add to whichever document you use "I also request the uploader to be dealt with in accordance with your terms and conditions."

Also you must add your name and address, You may be ignored otherwise.

It works!

Just one very last thing, I know this sounds a little silly, but if you find a link to your music on a forum FOLLOW the link, the forum is not the host, a remote server is and it is the remote server that needs to be targeted.

I sincerely hope this helps a few of you.

If this can be made a Sticky somewhere on this site then please do it to help fellow musicians.

Good on you man! Illegally downloading sucks, and I hate it. I have shared CDs with friends, so I guess its the same thing though.

I plan on releasing all of my music on casette tapes to at least slow those bastards down [biggrin]

Glad to hear you are fighting it and my best wishes to you in hopes that something comes to fruition

Good on you Chrisdude!

Your CD is awesome! (My wife purchased me one the old fashioned way.... Ebay from Austria :D)

Here's another useful link:

https://www.riaa.com/reportpiracy.php

Thank you, I am honoured.

However, and I hate to say this, riaa is great, but beleive me when I say remote servers they cannot touch. The server owners are not responsible for uploaded content. Yup makes you angry huh?

However, they still have to abide by international law, so all you do is tell them directly.

Cheers Dave / Fred, people just do not realise how much this hurts.

I will add this to my new tutorial.

Actually, there is case law where they have done just that.... busted those who are offering the songs for free in peer to peer scenarios.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/06/riaa-jury-slaps-2-million-fine-on-jammie-thomas/

Ms. Thomas wasn't convicted for downloading, but for offering up for download, if memory serves.

Once the precedent has been set, it clears the way for further (expanded) lawsuits.

Case law sure shut down the old peer to peer sites... Kazaa, BearShare, and the ever popular Napster, who were forced to go legit.

Worth your time? Applicable to international law? Enforceable outside the US?

No idea, but it won't take much time to fill out the report on the website..... if it was MY music, I'd pursue it on every available front.

Again, good luck man!

Archived