Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Standard Truss Rod Cover

PP_CS336

I recently got an 2011 Gibson SG Standard and did not notice that the white "SG" on the truss rod cover wasn't really engraved in until the following happened.

The recent damp, rainy weather wasn't so nice with the guitar neck. It seemed the neck absorbed a bit of that moisture and gave the action a bit of trouble.

So I brought it into the shop to have it adjusted. I didn't notice until I brought it home that it seemed that part of the "SG" on the truss rod was missing.

I thought maybe the repairman at the shop got a little something on it. I tried rubbing it clean and now the whole "SG", the white background, i.e., is

now gone. All I notice is a faint trace of where the letters once were. I showed it to someone who does engraving and he said it looked like what was once

there was just a sort of silk screened white over the black plastic, but he could definitely still see a faint image of what is supposed to be there.

Now I would think with what one pays for a Gibson guitar, especially such a model as this, that the letters would have been engraved in the plastic, like

they do with name tags. Did Gibson once do that and recently stopped? If so, why? I had a Chinese Epiphone "Les Paul Standard" and the letters on that

truss rod were engraved in. You'd think Gibson being the mother company to Epiphone now would at least keep that standard (no pun intended) on their own

guitars if Epiphone does it on a Chinese Les Paul Standard that costs much less (no pun intended here either). Any comments appreciated.

I understand what you mean. Engraved would be nicer. Mine came with a blank t-rod cover, but it is a '61 Reissue. I guess in the old days they were blank.

On the bright side; Now, you could get the engraver to make a new one for you out of any material you like and get your name engraved, or the "SG" engraved in it. I know a guy that got his name engraved.

I just checked out my 2011 SG Std. Bass. It's a silkscreen or decal also. I know what you're saying, but to me the rest of the Mother Of Pearl head makes up for the SG cover.

Oh boy.......no comment from me yet.....................I'm in good standing still.....[scared] :unsure: [crying][flapper][thumbup] ....[lol] ...

I love SGs....I smashed all of mine in my younger days....and some were stolen.........

I'm all grown up now........[confused][rolleyes] .........Need a new one, or used, one with an engraved truss cover...

I just checked out my 2011 SG Std. Bass. It's a silkscreen or decal also. I know what you're saying, but to me the rest of the Mother Of Pearl head makes up for the SG cover.

gsgbass, Yeh, I guess you're right in that respect. But you figure if Gibson is going to go that far to differentiate the SG Standard model from all the other

SG models by having the initials in the headstock they'd go the extra mile and engrave it so this wouldn't happen. On one of my Summer jobs when in college,

early '70s, I worked at USMA at West Point and part of my job was engraving name plates for the new Plebes (freshman class) that was coming in. Just like the

truss rod, the plate was black plastic over white and I engraved through the black layer to allow the white to show through. Then it's white plastic and not

white paint. America is just getting cheap anymore. What ever happened to integrity?

I used a worn brown LP Studio for my gold top project and Studio is engraved in the TRC.... I'll check my other guitars later..

daveinspain, Thanks so much for checking your guitars. It's interesting to note that you said "Studio" is engraved on your Worn Brown LP Studio.

I had an old Gibson S-1 made in the Norlin days (mid 1970's) and the "S-1" was engraved on that (not painted on). I also had a 1987 Gibson Les Paul Custom

and those words were engraved on the TRC.

I just called 1-800-4GIBSON a few minutes ago and discussed this with their representative. He told me they change the "specs" from time to time.

He asked me when my SG Standard guitar was made and I told him 2011. He's going to get a new TRC sent out to me. I told him "engraved" not

painted would be preferred. He's going to see what he can do for me. He says the complaint has been noted.

I would be interested in what they say about it as well. As I mentioned before, it's not a major thing, but I agree it's going cheap on something that's right up there with the family name so to speak. Gibson goes out of their way to advertise the head as the most recognizable guitar head in the world, with a cheap cover???

Archived