Gibson Brands Forums

Fred Approved?

Rocky4

Let me start off by saying for me to like a band it doesn't have to be a minimalist setting. I know it seems that way (White Stripes, Black Keys, etc.) but I don't demand it, and it isn't even my favorite. The reason I am so engrossed with it, is because that is the music I enjoy playing the most. After band practice (well we had 15 more minutes) and the bass player stormed off for whatever reason when I suggested we actually practice instead of dicking around, and the other guitarist was absent, I jammed with my drummer during that time and it was the most fun I have had in a long time.

For me, I think the minimalist setting works best. I can fill a lot of sonic space IMO. I think more creativity spawns from that restriction and it flows better. I mean, I look at my drummer and he gets me, we have a great connection, but its a lot easier to work stuff out when there is only one other person and you can turn to him and say (I think that part should continue another two times) and he will either disagree or agree, and there aren't hurt feelings between us. He tells me if my playing is off, I tell him if he is off as well. That's just the kind of music that I want to play. I hate when people find out I play guitar, and they say "rhythm or lead?" I tell em both, and usually get into an argument about how you don't have to have such a separation, parts need to bleed over.

It has also taught me a lot about drums, using them as more of an instrument to fill up the lack of bass or to fill up spaces that I can't do just on guitar. To me, that frustration pushes me and makes me think more. What I'm doing now is more just bashing on chords instead of doing riffs or whatever the hell else I want because I have to leave room for the other guitarist.

Off of my rant now, I enjoyed that. More pop-ish than I usually listen to, but it was good.

Does Fred approve? Fred does approve [thumbup]

Archived