Duende

With what attentive courtesy he bent

Over his instrument;

Not as a lordly conquerer who could

Command both wire and wood,

But as a man with a loved woman might,

Inquiring with delight

What slight, essential things she had to say

Before they started, he and she, to play.

What a nice verse - glad I read it, thanks. . .

I have never seen Star Wars so can't speak to that analogy, but the idea that electric guitars are more masculine and acoustic feminine, that makes sense to me. Electric guitars possess incredible power that they achieve through volume and effects. Combine that with a skilled player and they can take your breath away. We stand in awe of them, we respect them and what they can do. Acoustic guitars do not have the same volume to work with and so must rely on more delicate notes, beautiful harmonies and overtones, breaks, and emotion. But their beauty is just as powerful, in a different way.

Nor did I see the Starwars movie so I'll concentrate on your elec./acou. thoughts. Yes, the electric is or can be extremely powerful in the right hands, but so can the acoustic. It happens in different ways – The ignited performance from the enormous stage sending lightnings back to sky, or the right song from f.x. a flattop at a party after most guests have gone home. Who has the stick to measure the nature of those forces. . .

At the end of the day I personally tend to place the acoustic guitar above the electric, simply because it's so down to basic, it almost rings truth – the bended, carved woods, the steel or nylon.

Maybe I regard the electric as the roaring city where everything unfolds under heated circumstances, twisted desire, and confusion hehe. And the acoustic as a smaller group of wooden shacks on some hill just outside that town, where things of higher spirits find peace to conjure.

And yes, sometimes you need that metropolitan burst so badly, , , only to once again long for the cabins below the weeping pines of bliss.

I have never seen Star Wars so can't speak to that analogy, but the idea that electric guitars are more masculine and acoustic feminine, that makes sense to me. Electric guitars possess incredible power that they achieve through volume and effects. Combine that with a skilled player and they can take your breath away. We stand in awe of them, we respect them and what they can do. Acoustic guitars do not have the same volume to work with and so must rely on more delicate notes, beautiful harmonies and overtones, breaks, and emotion. But their beauty is just as powerful, in a different way.

So what you are saying is that acoustics (female spirit) are what they are, and there isn't much you can do to change their tone other than finesse and occaisional bauble to strung from her neck. Great care must be taken not to damage the guitar, i.e. she must be handled carefully, cleaned and polished regularly and properly moisturized, lest she be cracked and cantankerous.

On the other hand electric guitars (male). Rough handling and battle scars are seen as a badge of honor. The electric guitar can be manipulated by adjusting multiple inputs to make them scream or distort in innumerable ways at the whim of the holder --- just because she can. When all other input manipulations fail there is a whammy bar which can be wiggled until he cries. But he continues to come back for more, battle scars and all. Cleanliness is optional.

Is that about it? :huh:

okay, okay, so buying in to this scenario, does that mean that a stack of Marshall amps is like the Death Star? Is Keith Richards Darth Vader, and Paul McCartney Obi Wan? Heavy metal fans storm troopers? It's just all too much, and i'm going to be thinking about this off and on all night! Great post.

I always thought that the Walrus was Paul, but there you go. If Keef is Vader and Macca is Kenobi, then now we know who bumped Paul off in the mid-sixties, don't we? I say he dunnit with his sonic blue Telecaster wot was nicked in the 1970s yer honour.

But then does that mean that Jagger is the evil Emperor? And is Lennon Han Solo? But that would imply that Yoko is Leia and that her brother is George Harrison. Hang on, so Keef is George's and Yoko's dad (as well as Johnny Depp's). And Ringo is Chewbacca. Yoda only knows what that makes Charlie Watts. But then Yoda is surely the Maharishi Yogi. Quick phone Donovan for help...

I always thought that the Walrus was Paul, but there you go. If Keef is Vader and Macca is Kenobi, then now we know who bumped Paul off in the mid-sixties, don't we? I say he dunnit with his sonic blue Telecaster wot was nicked in the 1970s yer honour.

But then does that mean that Jagger is the evil Emperor? And is Lennon Han Solo? But that would imply that Yoko is Leia and that her brother is George Harrison. Hang on, so Keef is George's and Yoko's dad (as well as Johnny Depp's). And Ringo is Chewbacca. Yoda only knows what that makes Charlie Watts. But then Yoda is surely the Maharishi Yogi. Quick phone Donovan for help...

I like it!

Jim Morrison is the best Luke Skywalker though!

Matt

Archived