Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Guitars are like lightsabres

Duende

musings...

In the gym today and in a geeky meditation (while on the cross trainer), I was thinking of Star Wars and the concept of the blaster being like the electric guitar! After all, It is the more macho weapon, just like the electric guitar is considered more manly and flashy, also it is instantaneous - in that you fire a blaster (or play a distorted power chord) and people (laymen) think "wow!" ...

also the majority think of the blaster/ and electric guitar as the definition of both what a real weapon and/or a guitar is.

Then I thought of the lightsabre and how it is more like the acoustic guitar! Yes, it isn't asa 'known' so well as the blaster, also many people who use blasters think it is superior over the lighsabre, like many electric guitarists (especially of the shred variety), but to get what you want from both an acoustic guitar and lighsabre takes more patience...but when you really utilise what it can do, you have not just one instrument but a whole orchestra. Hence me thinking of the acoustic as a lightsabre!

please someone say they understand the lightsabre and acoustic analogy!

Matt

[blink]

OK, I see your point.

But the next time you're at the gym, wouldn't it be better to concentrate on the hot chicks in their skin tight sport outfits?

I guess you could imagine them being Princess Lea...

[biggrin]

LMAO

(as Yoda) Mmmm tight their asses!!

I was expecting you to say that generally, people become more attached or bound to acoustics, particularly one favorite, and lightsabers are matched to one Jedi/Sith? With electrics, there is a less personal bond? Or am I just being a sensitive little fingerpicker?

musings...

In the gym today and in a geeky meditation (while on the cross trainer), I was thinking of Star Wars and the concept of the blaster being like the electric guitar! After all, It is the more macho weapon, just like the electric guitar is considered more manly and flashy, also it is instantaneous - in that you fire a blaster (or play a distorted power chord) and people (laymen) think "wow!" ...

also the majority think of the blaster/ and electric guitar as the definition of both what a real weapon and/or a guitar is.

Then I thought of the lightsabre and how it is more like the acoustic guitar! Yes, it isn't asa 'known' so well as the blaster, also many people who use blasters think it is superior over the lighsabre, like many electric guitarists (especially of the shred variety), but to get what you want from both an acoustic guitar and lighsabre takes more patience...but when you really utilise what it can do, you have not just one instrument but a whole orchestra. Hence me thinking of the acoustic as a lightsabre!

please someone say they understand the lightsabre and acoustic analogy!

Matt

This scores a perfect 10 on the Geek Meter but I loved it anyway!

This scores a perfect 10 on the Geek Meter but I loved it anyway!

it gets worse...I said to a guitarist recently about my best acoustic that it was like the Falcon..."She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid"

Matt

it gets worse...I said to a guitarist recently about my best acoustic that it was like the Falcon..."She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid"

Matt

or more like. "you flew here on THAT thing? you're braver than I thought".

Which could be reference to your blues on the classical.

You and your damn Jedi mind tricks.

Matt

Haha. If you start hearing your guitar telling you to go to the Dagobah System, contact a mental health professional immediately.

Haha! Despite the geek warning, there's already 140 views and 15 replies. What does that say about us? [biggrin]

I have never seen Star Wars so can't speak to that analogy, but the idea that electric guitars are more masculine and acoustic feminine, that makes sense to me. Electric guitars possess incredible power that they achieve through volume and effects. Combine that with a skilled player and they can take your breath away. We stand in awe of them, we respect them and what they can do. Acoustic guitars do not have the same volume to work with and so must rely on more delicate notes, beautiful harmonies and overtones, breaks, and emotion. But their beauty is just as powerful, in a different way.

okay, okay, so buying in to this scenario, does that mean that a stack of Marshall amps is like the Death Star? Is Keith Richards Darth Vader, and Paul McCartney Obi Wan? Heavy metal fans storm troopers? It's just all too much, and i'm going to be thinking about this off and on all night! Great post.

Haha! Despite the geek warning, there's already 140 views and 15 replies. What does that say about us? [biggrin]

I have never seen Star Wars so can't speak to that analogy, but the idea that electric guitars are more masculine and acoustic feminine, that makes sense to me. Electric guitars possess incredible power that they achieve through volume and effects. Combine that with a skilled player and they can take your breath away. We stand in awe of them, we respect them and what they can do. Acoustic guitars do not have the same volume to work with and so must rely on more delicate notes, beautiful harmonies and overtones, breaks, and emotion. But their beauty is just as powerful, in a different way.

Have not seen star wars? you should see it. It is the Gibson of movies.

If we are going to say that electric is one gender and accoustic is another, you may have it backwards.

Electrics have much better looks than accoustics, and electrics accesorize more (like make-up) as well as attract more attention. Accoustics are more like what you see is what you get, and visually there is only so much you can do with them.

Volume: who says men are the loudest?

Between electric and accoustic, if accoustic requires more work and coaxing to get anything good out of them, than we are gonna have to say that the accoustic is the guy.

Volume: who says men are the loudest?

Answer: Women! [biggrin] Women may talk more (say more words) but are they louder? I think more men are boisterous (read, electric guitars with special effects) than women. [biggrin]

I think we're entering dangerous territory here. [biggrin][flapper]

Between electric and accoustic, if accoustic requires more work and coaxing to get anything good out of them, than we are gonna have to say that the accoustic is the guy.

But men can be quite expressive with a guitar and not so expressive with a woman. At least that's been my experience [biggrin]

And yes, I really should see Star Wars one of these days.

Han Solo

"Ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster"

Matt

Ancient acoustics are no match for a good Les Paul

Han Solo

"I have seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything that made me believe that there's one all powerful force controlling everything"

(The Matt paraphrasing programme again)

"I've played a lot of stuff unplugged, but I never played anything that makes me think there's one all powerful acoustic music genre that controls everything"

Han Solo

"Ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster"

Matt

Ancient acoustics are no match for a good Les Paul

Han Solo

"I have seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything that made me believe that there's one all powerful force controlling everything"

(The Matt paraphrasing programme again)

"I've played a lot of stuff unplugged, but I never played anything that makes me think there's one all powerful acoustic music genre that controls everything"

Read the very last line in my signature.... It somehow applies here...

I believe all guitars are like women, they're both shapely, beautiful to look at and music to my ears. The only difference is: One I like to fool around and play with and the other plays me like a fool.

I believe all guitars are like women, they're both shapely, beautiful to look at and music to my ears. The only difference is: One I like to fool around and play with and the other plays me like a fool.

eusa_pray.gif

This thread reminds me of a poem I first read, and then memorized, while in college. It really is lovely, read aloud--try it. ( I have been known to recite it on stage when, in fact, someone is actually doing the nasty tuning song...)

The Guitarist Tunes Up (Frances Darwin Cornford)

With what attentive courtesy he bent

Over his instrument;

Not as a lordly conquerer who could

Command both wire and wood,

But as a man with a loved woman might,

Inquiring with delight

What slight, essential things she had to say

Before they started, he and she, to play.

Archived