Gibson Brands Forums

Concerned

ne14t?

I dont know if this is a common problem, its not a huge issue for me but I am curious. The explorer has a master tone knob and two individual volume knobs, I got really depressed with the L&M store I WAS dealing with after there most knowledgeable guitar tech said that my explorer did not have individual volume knobs it was one master volume and two tone knobs, I hung up and sadly will not go back after that, because It IS two volume and a master tone. I normally play with the volume on both cranked to 10 but the other day I rolled the neck volume off to zero with both pickups selected and it cut out both of them, you can hear it ring out a little bit when you hit zero (maybe 2 sec) and then it dies off completely. Now I was under the impression that they controlled one pickup not both. I called another L&M location and the guy there said it could be one of two things

1) Gibson mucked up on the wiring

2) Gibson wires the Explorer, Les Paul and SG in this fashion

This guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about to a certain extent, but I couldnt see Gibson sending it out with wrong wiring. I could see it however being wired like this, weirder things have been done. Anyone shed some light on this? I am starting to think it might be time to do some rewiring on this beast tap the pups and change over master volume and two tone.

I dont know if this is a common problem, its not a huge issue for me but I am curious. The explorer has a master tone knob and two individual volume knobs, I got really depressed with the L&M store I WAS dealing with after there most knowledgeable guitar tech said that my explorer did not have individual volume knobs it was one master volume and two tone knobs, I hung up and sadly will not go back after that, because It IS two volume and a master tone. I normally play with the volume on both cranked to 10 but the other day I rolled the neck volume off to zero with both pickups selected and it cut out both of them, you can hear it ring out a little bit when you hit zero (maybe 2 sec) and then it dies off completely. Now I was under the impression that they controlled one pickup not both. I called another L&M location and the guy there said it could be one of two things

1) Gibson mucked up on the wiring

2) Gibson wires the Explorer, Les Paul and SG in this fashion

This guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about to a certain extent, but I couldnt see Gibson sending it out with wrong wiring. I could see it however being wired like this, weirder things have been done. Anyone shed some light on this? I am starting to think it might be time to do some rewiring on this beast tap the pups and change over master volume and two tone.

Are they stupid...? My explorer as well...TWO volumes and ONE tone knob...

Your tone knob should not cut out the signal....its should make it sound REAL muddy at 0...but not cut out...

Guest FarnsBarns

Certainly every Les Paul I've played was wired like that. One volume always kills both pups at zero.

That is normal, same thing on other Gibsons.

The volumes are not wired 100% independently.

I re-wired my Explorer with 1 Volume and 2 Tone pots, I used a 500K super pot from RSguitarworks for the volume and it is great. Makes the guitar brighter and clearer.

Guitars108.jpg

Actually, if you have both pups selected with the 3 way (middle position), as has been said, rolling off one volume will kill the other.

But not true if you select one. I use this fact for a kill switch all the time. Set one to zero and the other to whatever. When you switch to the zeroed pup, no sound. Switch back to the volume up pup and the sound is back.

Another vote for that being normal. Roll one volume to zero and both go out when the switch is set for both pups.

I wonder what would happen if you took the guitar to the salesman who told you how it was wired and kindly asked him to make it right? Perhaps, just maybe, he is correct and you are wrong and Gibson DOES wire every Explorer wrong.

Bad idea.

Archived