Gibson Brands Forums

Want new Gibson acoustic...

Johnhw

Hi all,

Recently I sold my '75 Martin D-28 in order to pay off a 335 I had onm hold and to help both my sons with there weddings...which were in the same month. So I am down to one 335 to play...but at least it's all Gibby. I need a new friend in the acoustic lineup and figured this time I would go with a Gibby too. Since my 335 is short scale I guess maybe looking into a J-45 would be nice, but the ones I have played recently, seemed rather weak to the boom my D-28 had. So....looking for some help. I have see a Sj rosewood...but pricely. Trying to find AJ's but only see some Guild copies of those (sound great for the money though). Anyway...any suggestion.

I like to both flatpick and figerstyle. Thought I try 2 Gibby's for a while and hopefully bond with them for a good long time. Thanks.

i think for a fingerpicker, the AJ would be an excellent choice. guitar centers usually have one hanging around as they aren't the 'cool' guitar of choice for many young, hip players. although, we all know that forumites know hip and cool - we are just a quiet minority thats all.

the cj-165 seems to get a lot of good reviews from the pickers here. some should chime in soon. my advice is to get out and play everything (guitars!) within a 50 mi radius of your home because its the road and not the destination, if you know what i mean. when you return home there'll be some that stick in your mind. it is always been comparison that helps me to realize what i'm actually looking for. good luck and keep us informed.

cunkhead...thanks. A lcal store here had a cj-165 in maple. Beautiful guitar...I thought about it but it got taken. Guess that particular one was not meant to be. I had heard that model sounded a bit better in rosewood, still have not seen one of those yet. Just not sure about grabbing one I have not played myself, perhaps I can travel a bit this coming weekend...good idea.

Well John, an AJ being rosewood would probably get you closer to your Martin's tone, if that's what you prefer although it is not short scale. You might want to consider a rosewood J-45. They show up on Ebay all the time. Good luck with your search.

I have an 05 AJ that has a sweet sound to it It comes with a Rare earth Humbucker sound hole pickup It's set up where you can leave it in or take it out no cables showing Gold Gotoh open back tuners asking 1600 obo let me know if any one is interested.

gman

Everyone here knows what I am going to say.... Even though it isn't short scale, (none of my three acoustics are short scale though) I love the Gibson AJ! It is so completly different from my Taylor 612C or my Handbuilt Legato Dread that it really solidifies my small collection and gives me a tone that is perfect for blending with a voice. (not mine unfortunatly as I can't sing a lick! O:) ) I am mostly a fingerstyle player but also pick and strum some and the Gibson is my best all around guitar. It takes to Drop D and DADGAD tunings extremely well and has a very distinctive growl that punches you in the gut whenever you hit the low E (or D in dropped tunings).

What amazed me after playing an AJ was how well it worked for fingerstyle. I had been a Dread snob all my life as I didn't ever find a good one for fingerstyle. The AJ changed all that and now I own 2 dreads and both are fab for fingerstyle in their own way.

You owe it to yourself to try one. I put a K & K mini western pickup in it (soundboard since UST won't work with the open ended saddle on the AJ's) and it ROCKS through my Genz Benz Shen 200 Watt amp. I usually plug in through a LR Baggs PARA DI and then into the amp. All I can say is....... SWEET.... whenever I pick my "Beast" up.

+1 on the AJ, TP. i've adopted the lonely one at my local GC in southfield. its been there for a year and i play it every time i go in. its the nicest sounding guitar in their premium room. i wonder if i could do a rescue mission on it? just walk in and take it like i was walking into a puppymill.

anybody interested in a 1970 j50, there's one there, too for $1700.

Thanks for the info. TP. I played some Gibby's last night, 2 J-45's, one in rosewood and a TV Southern Jumbo I think. Taylor's as well. a 414ce has had a spot for a while now...it's still there too. They do not have any AJ's, maybe the Guild J-50's are as close as they come there? Thing is, once you get to a certain point price wize a whole world opens up...makes decsion that much harder. Trying to stay with reasonable budget.

Gman, I answered with my e-mailaddress. let me know if you got it. Looking forward to your pics.

Archived