Gibson Brands Forums

LP's signature on Gibson label

adius

The '72 - '74 Les Paul Signature guitars have a label with Les Paul's name written on the label. I once heard that he signed those labels but have no idea if that is true. Does anyone know? If he was in the mood, he signed just about everything put in front of him.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this on the semi hollowbody thread, but I will repeat it here. I took a few pictures of my LP Sigs labels for examination. Any experts on Lester's signature please give your opinion. Also if anybody has a guitar or anything that he might have signed, please post a picture for comparison.

LPSigLabel.jpg

LPSigBassLabel.jpg

Very much appreciate your efforts. The signature in my '72 is similar to that of the pic of that in your bass but not exact. I'll try to get a shot of it if I can find my macro lens. It's looking more and more like the rumor isn't true. Seems odd they would sign the label like that but then the model numbers were hand written. msp_glare.gif

Almost looks to me like mine were done by two different people. It would be something if Les did sign them, the name of the model would make more sense if this were the case.

Whilst it's hardly conclusive proof that he DIDN'T sign those instruments I've just dug out an article on Les which has reproduced 4 bits of correspondence (one from '72 and two from '74) from the man and his signature is nothing like the ones posted.

I'll try to take a snap of them and post them here...

Threesigs.jpg

P.

I don't know what Les Paul's signature looks like, but these just look like someone in the shop filled in the model number by hand.

Doesn't look like an attempt at a signature.

I agree. Look closely, one is in backhand script and the other is not.

I don't know what Les Paul's signature looks like, but these just look like someone in the shop filled in the model number by hand.

Doesn't look like an attempt at a signature.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think this rumor is busted. Appreciate all the efforts. msp_thumbup.gif

Archived