Gibson Brands Forums

Little Amp Head Blew My Speaker CAB

Enmitygauged

Ok so I got the MESA trans Atlantic home plugged it into the Orange 1x12 with a Vintage 30 in it. 8 ohms out put. After cranking it and then for the sake of the neighbours I dropped it down to the 5 watt setting on HI1 after about 3 minutes the volume dropped by about 70 percent and then when I turned the volume up the Speaker had a quacking sound to it. Does anyone know what could cause that. the Quack is only noticeable on the E and D strings. Also on a happy not I am thinking of getting this PRS has anyone heard anything about this particular model... its the Australian Eagle. 11000 retail on special for 7999.00 I can probably get it for around 6500.00 Humbuckers that can drop to single coil

photo27.jpg

This thread reminded me of a thread started by an esteemed member here (un-named, of course), asking what was wrong with his wah pedal....

He was offered lots of advice; Clean the pots, check the battery, check the power source, check the guitar, guitar cables,

remove and test the circut board, etc etc etc......nothing helped........An un-named genius member suggested that perhaps

he check and see if he was plugging the INPUT and OUTPUT cords correctly.......And, well.......[flapper][blink][lol]eusa_clap.gifeusa_whistle.gif[lol] ....

Walla !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Running a 8 ohm output into a 16 ohm load I would think would be safe for both the amp and the speaker. (I'm thinking most amps).

Bluemoon ans L5 are right I think about a tube. When you actually BLOW power tubes, that is the most common effect. It is usually because an element in the tube has broken or warped to the point of making intermittent contact according to voltage and frequency.

But-sometimes a blown speaker will react similer to what you describe, in that it will be certain frequencies that set it off buzzing or not working and may go in and out.

BUT- sometimes the output transformer will do the same thing very similer to both of these.

I would check to see what the specs are of the amp as far as what loads are ok with it, and see if you can't determine speaker, tube, or something else, in case you need to have the amp dealt with.

I just checked with the orange people here and the Mesa distributor all said 8-16 is fine the problem is if you run high to low eg. 16-8 the amp needs a 16 ohm load and will eventually act up. I am ran the cab off my dual Rec and my hot rod with no quack present. I then ran the hot rods 8ohm off the Mesa and it had the quack. So I'm takin the amp head in tomorrow to have them check it out.

Thanks for your help guys

I just checked with the orange people here and the Mesa distributor all said 8-16 is fine the problem is if you run high to low eg. 16-8 the amp needs a 16 ohm load and will eventually act up. I am ran the cab off my dual Rec and my hot rod with no quack present. I then ran the hot rods 8ohm off the Mesa and it had the quack. So I'm takin the amp head in tomorrow to have them check it out.

Thanks for your help guys

I had the same thing happen with my Trans-Atlantic and it was the power tubes as well. Good thing Mesa covers them for 6 months!

Archived