Gibson Brands Forums

Prophesy GX Open String Buzz can't be fixed

PilotGav

I just purchased my new Les Paul Prophesy GX (AWESOME GUITAR.

I noticed there was a bit of open string buzz when I moved from 11's to 10's and took it in to get set up. The guy I use is excellent, and I've trusted him for years.

He told me that there wasn't much he could do with the open string buzz because the neck is TOO straight. He loosened the truss rod as much as he realistically could, but it didn't make much difference.

Has anyone else seen this issue before? Is it inherent to the GX, or did I just get a bad one?

Gavin

Although uncommon, it is possible that the nut is too low. I had this problem with my Ocean TB75 bass. It has a brass nut so I ended up shimming it. Not exactly the "proper" method, but it worked and since I shimmed with metal, I lost no sustain.

Although uncommon, it is possible that the nut is too low.

[thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

If it buzzes open, but not at the first fret, second, third...,

then yes - your nut's too low. Or the groove(s) in the nut are cut

too low. How many strings does this happen on?

How far away from your Dealer are you? (GUITAR dealer!) looking at

option of exchange for git with no problems....

Congrats on the NEW GIT - let's get the bugs worked out! [thumbup]

Another thought...sometimes it takes a day or so for the neck to gain relief after the truss is adjusted. This is also uncommon, and I have never personally experienced it, but it is possible. It seems odd that your tech loosened the truss all the way and the neck is still straight. The neck should be visibly bowed at this point.

With a double acting truss-rod there's really no such thing a loosening, only the slack period between the contraction and expansion modes, it's difficult to believe that it's too straight, I adjust all my necks so they're straight as it's possible to get them while unstringed, then winding the strings on creates a natural relief of approx 0.015" - 0.020" which suits me perfectly.

To check the nut height, fret the 'E' (6th) string at the 3rd fret, there should be a small gap (thickness of a business card or smaller) between the top of the first fret and the bottom of the string, try the same on the 'e' (1st) string and the results should be similar. You can check the other strings too if you wish, point is there should be an ever so small air gap between the top of the frets and the bottom of the strings, If there's no gap then the nut has been cut too low.

Archived