Gibson Brands Forums

A few Cowboy Chords

EuroAussie

OK, I have one more track from our Monday night gig for you.

Its always been a bit of a dream to perform this song and we finally managed, it has been one of my all time favourites.

You'll probably know the song from the first few notes ..

This is the first time we've ever performed this track live but I think it went down well.

Excuse my dodgy backign vocals in the first half of the track. (something to work on)

Any feedback, comments and suggestions always welcome as we are still working out way into this track.

ps: try to listen to it in HD 1080

pps: I promise to put other tracks in the acoustic performances section, i just wouldnt mind your feedback about how to improve it, and obviously there is more traffic in the 'main' forum section.

Lots of lookers and no responses. I am guessing that everyone else has the same issue that I have. The background noise from the crowd is drowning out the music so it is really hard to give any kind of fair critique.

Thanks for the post and the video it is just not very clear audio wise.

Thanks for posting, and I agree...it's hard to really hear with all the background noise.....conversely, it must be hard to sing and play with all that cocktail chatter, so congradulations...I think you would have to set up some recording mics along with the performance mics to catch the real essence of the musuc....looks like fun!

Thanks guys. Yeah, unfortunately there is much more crowd noise in this clip as it was shot from the audience position. The other clip was mainly from the podium and you hear the speakers and monitors mainly, hence the better sound. However when we play out crowd noise is not a distractor as we mainly hear our monitors rather than crowd noise, so it doesnt really put us off.

cheers !

EXCELLENT tone and feel. I know it sounds silly to say with the recording quality, but I CAN hear the volume and the sweetness. And, beautiful interplay between guitarist when it occurred. The vocalist (and the backing) both have good voices.

Great strumming in that it fills out and makes great sound for the song. A good "sense" of rhythm by you..but

lots of timing issues. I listened 3 times to try and figure what it might be, but I think there is just a lack of a real meter in that one. At first listen, my impression was the singer had poor timing in the beginning, and then I heard a couple mistakes where the guitars do not join up at the same time, then I listened to try and see who it was, then I noticed it was both. Then I listened to the timing of the singer, and it sounded like he was timing himself to you rhythm playing, and I could not hear where his timing was off there, but by them I realized the whole song was really not on a consistant meter.

Cheers Stein, that is exactly the type of consutructive feedback I was hoping for. I'm really glad you took the time to watch and comment.

I definitely agree with your comments. We as a band analysed this clip after the gig and came aways with similar conclusions. Good tone and feel, vocals generally fine, decent dynamics but timing was too inconsistent. This is something we need to work on during rehearsals.

I think that came down mainly because it was the very first time we performed this track at a gig. Its funny how it all sounds find in rehearsal but when you get infront of a fairly decent crowd one starts to tighten up and we all think about not screwing up chords and singing in key. Timings often come second, which is not really right but I find thats sort of how the process of peroforming new songs works.

We had another gig a few days later in a small pub and we played this track again and i think we were much tighter in terms of timings. We had the first one under our belt and were played in a relaxed environment which helped us to focus on getting timing right.

These vids are a nice memory of the gig but also serve very well in reviewing peroformance and looking for areas of improvement.

Thanks again for watching and commenting, much appreciated and glad you enjoyed the track overall Stein !

cheers.

EXCELLENT tone and feel. I know it sounds silly to say with the recording quality, but I CAN hear the volume and the sweetness. And, beautiful interplay between guitarist when it occurred. The vocalist (and the backing) both have good voices.

Great strumming in that it fills out and makes great sound for the song. A good "sense" of rhythm by you..but

lots of timing issues. I listened 3 times to try and figure what it might be, but I think there is just a lack of a real meter in that one. At first listen, my impression was the singer had poor timing in the beginning, and then I heard a couple mistakes where the guitars do not join up at the same time, then I listened to try and see who it was, then I noticed it was both. Then I listened to the timing of the singer, and it sounded like he was timing himself to you rhythm playing, and I could not hear where his timing was off there, but by them I realized the whole song was really not on a consistant meter.

I really think you might be onto something with the way you guys do that, as in the ALL accoustic version.

I saw a hint in the first bar of you playing chords a little appregiated during the walk-down the other guy did. I was really into that. Adds a whole new dimension to the song that the origional doesn't do.

You seem to have a talent for rhythm playing, very much like KEEF. You don't sound like him, but like him, when you play a chord, it MEANS something. You have a talent for bringing a tune to life.

The way that tune was on that recording, it seemed like at one point, one guitar player had the tune, and then after that part was done, the other guitarist had the tune. That can make it kinda hard (without a drummer).

A lot of positive comments on the performance. Constructive critisism is the best advice for any musician. Yes, timing is everything! Overall a great job. Nice arrangement. For that song, being all acoustic, all participants MUST be spot-on when it comes to timing. Practice, practice, practice!!! [thumbup]

Wow, Stein, compared to KEEF, I went all red after reading this ... thats one heluva compliment, but I think i have a way to go before i get anywhere to Keefs level, but hey, Im still 30 years younger than him, so theres time :-)

We actually do Stones cover, Jumpin' Jack, which given the occasion I thought Id provide the link .... but I dont think this our best effort. My singer went a bit spastic with the shakers and lost timing completely a few times (we talked about that) and my lead guitarist actually has never heard of the song until couple weeks ago ... generation gap I guess. But in the end our timing was pretty sloppy ..

Anyways, here's some stones from the gig, and thanks again for all your support and constructive critcism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDq_wjlj90

cheers

I really think you might be onto something with the way you guys do that, as in the ALL accoustic version.

I saw a hint in the first bar of you playing chords a little appregiated during the walk-down the other guy did. I was really into that. Adds a whole new dimension to the song that the origional doesn't do.

You seem to have a talent for rhythm playing, very much like KEEF. You don't sound like him, but like him, when you play a chord, it MEANS something. You have a talent for bringing a tune to life.

The way that tune was on that recording, it seemed like at one point, one guitar player had the tune, and then after that part was done, the other guitarist had the tune. That can make it kinda hard (without a drummer).

No question Larry, reharsal and practice is the key. I thik we all feel we have the potential but the magic will only happen through a lot of sweat and repatition, but were ready for the challenge !

We have another gig on Wednesday so we'll definitely try to put all your comments in action for that show.

Thanks again !

A lot of positive comments on the performance. Constructive critisism is the best advice for any musician. Yes, timing is everything! Overall a great job. Nice arrangement. For that song, being all acoustic, all participants MUST be spot-on when it comes to timing. Practice, practice, practice!!! [thumbup]

Archived