Gibson Brands Forums

Who Played it first??

Dallastx

Who played it before they bought it? I went looking for a S G. Well I was first thinking about the one with P-90's since most of my guitars are singles. I didn't like the feel or the tone. Personal pref. So the guy was showing me PRS's and a few others and then I grabbed the Standard and plugged it into an amp like mine. I now own it. I wasn't looking for finish flaws, but I didn't even care because..

I'm chasin the tone gods and this one helps me get closer. Sweet guitar and Gibson, don't change what's not broke.

D

Who played it before they bought it? I went looking for a S G. Well I was first thinking about the one with P-90's since most of my guitars are singles. I didn't like the feel or the tone. Personal pref. So the guy was showing me PRS's and a few others and then I grabbed the Standard and plugged it into an amp like mine. I now own it. I wasn't looking for finish flaws, but I didn't even care because..

I'm chasin the tone gods and this one helps me get closer. Sweet guitar and Gibson, don't change what's not broke.

D

A big Congrats to you brother, Please post pic's ASAP... you know we all get off on pic's.. [drool]

D

Yeh, Dallastx, the SG Standard is the bomb! [thumbup] If you had all single coil p'up guitars before, why go for another one? I've found my

Gibson SG Standard to be loaded with tones way different than any other electric guitars I've had. And it complements my Gibson CS-336 as

they both have Humbucker pickups, but the former has 490R & 498T where the latter has two '57 Classics. Both great guitars, but totally

different sounding.

nice axe!

I played mine first. Oddly enough, like when I got my Gretsch last year, the SG I came home with was the first guitar the salesman at the music store handed me.

I came into the store knowing I was leaving with an SG, I just didn't know if it was going to be a Special or a Standard.

In the end, I liked the sound of the faded Special... must have been something about the pickups in it. I also liked the feel of the guitar. The thinner finish allows my hands to glide across the neck nice and easy compared to the usual glossy finished necks. I swear it's like the sales people have all the guitars scouted out and know which one is the best on the rack so that as long as you at least know what model you're after, they know exactly which one to show you first.

Now I find myself wanting an SG Standard or a Les Paul Standard next. I'll probably go with the Les Paul first because I'm looking for something that will help me resist the tempation to grab my Les Paul Push Tone every time I decide I want something other than my SG. I'm trying to avoid using the Push Tone too frequently since I hope to sell it in a few years when it increases in value. Not saying I'm not going to play it, I just want to reduce the amount of mileage I put on that guitar and I think the best way to do it is get another guitar that sounds and feels very similar to it.

Archived