Gibson Brands Forums

Went to guitar center yesterday.

Kimbabig

Milod when I was 10 and under, I always showed respect, especially when alone, with my timid nature. I figured out from a young age that the better you treat other people the better they treat you. Well, I guess I am still a very young age.

Me too, population about 200,

And I guess I was being a little b!tchy in this thread, sorry guys, I shouldn't begrudge children who are trying to learn, and just want to have a good time without me bothering them.

Edit: Oh and Dub, having long hair sucks, people will hate you for that reason alone. I'm sure you do the same, but I just hold my head high and ignore them. Try telling them you're growing it for locks of love and they'll feel terrible. I've also noticed that women generally have mixed feelings about long hair, some love it, some hate it, and some are take it or leave it.

Party small towns are the best, pop of 186 were I lived, so boring growing up but I feel like Ted Nugent now that I live in the city, I have killed my own dinner before MUAHAHAHAHA! It dont think it was any b*tchyness at all because yes probably a good 90% of kids that do go into music stores are there just to screw around so unfortunately all younger people instantly get labeled it doesnt just happen at music stores sadly. I am all for equal opportunity age, race or sex should never play a factor in things like these, heck look at those kids in School of Rock, that kid that played the guitar can rip better then me!

As for the long hair well damn that should signify your a rocker they should be pointing at you and saying "That dude is here to rock out with his **** out" unless "Long haired freaky people, need not apply" is written on there front door.

Jeff, I saw that GC got in fivea bunch of H'Bird Koa's just recently. One was at the San Jose Store, (about 35 miles from me).

I wrote them and asked if I could use the 15% discount for more than $500 if I bought a $5350 guitar. They said, "Yes"

I told them I needed it to be $4500 + tax.

They said okay.... so the 15% was good for the entire price. I told them to put it away so no one played it.

When I bought my DIF, they gave me a 20% discount, but I didn't want to play hardball all the while my new guitar got played by people who don't care about it.

This morning I noticed that they just got one at the Concord store, (11 miles from me), but since I already put down $700 on the one in San Jose,

I'll go there after work on Friday and pick it up.

Yeah, normally I can tolerate GC. Heck I've probably dropped 3 grand in there the past couple of years. I just didn't want to deal with a massive crowd with even more kids playing even louder to try and hear themselves over the next wanker. I was going to go amp shopping to see what they had on special. I've met a few kids in there who had some chops and kept it at a relatively low volume, but the vast majority when I go in are cranking it, palm mute chugging and hitting bum notes left and right. Can't even hear myself think when it's like that. Lots of guitars with stolen knobs and screws [cursing]

Kimbabig

What I'm saying <grin> is that at age 10, you showed more maturity than a batch of 30s-70s folks I know. You probably will continue to do so until you're older than I am now unless you end up with some sad physical brain disease that changes mental patterns. (I've seen that for real, too.)

Age definitely doesn't bring maturity. It just brings facial creases and, after a certain point, other sorts of physical deterioration.

Age doesn't bring courtesy. In fact, I'm increasingly convinced that if courtesy, integrity, and a bit of self control, aren't in a kid by around age 8, it ain't gonna happen long-term, regardless of claims to the contrary.

Another thing about age: It's too easy for folks to forget that those outside their own age group aren't the same sorts of human beings that they are. When I was 15 I couldn't understand why a 30-something even bothered with boy-girl relationships; they hadda be too old to care. <chortle> Nope. On that stuff, they're just teenagers wearing creasy-faced masks and a bit more experience in various sorts of rhetoric, both verbal and nonverbal.

I'd say the only difference in an individual after somewhere around age 8 is some experience and changing roles in life. You'll never cease making mistakes, looking stupid on occasion and being overly proud of yourself as you age.

It's just how it is.

m

I find it majorly annoying, without fail they're there. That's why I generally go to the acoustics room more (generally a lot more peaceful and tasteful there!).

If not I play just loud enough for me to hear it, and get enough of an idea of the tone of the guitar/amp. I always keep it under 3. Blasting it so loud that others can't hear themselves think is one of the ruder things you can do (if you asked me), so I do my best not to. Heck one time I just played acoustically on a strat just to listen to the older gentleman next to me play Blue Sky phenomenally. It's a lot about courtesy, which my generation, generally speaking, seems to lack.

About their chops, or their discovery.... I've never understood why they do that (and they definitely do). I just go to try out a couple guitars or amps. I've honestly only came across one great teenage guitarist in a guitar shop (Sam Ash in NYC). We were both upstairs in acoustics, I grabbed a guild and he had a pretty nice Takamine 'n we just jammed, messing around, but he was quite good, tasteful too.

Nothing I can do to change it unfortunately, I guess I'll keep whining about it (oh I will), and go about my business.

Guest FarnsBarns

From another perspective, it's conversations like these that get my paranoid side going. This is the reason I never get to try a guitar out properly. I feel so self concious playing in a shop that I just have to go by feel and simple tonal properties rather than actually trying to play something I might play at home. Once I've checked the action and intonation, played and bent every note on every string. tried all pup options and wound the tone and volume back and forth I have to make a decision.

Reminds me of a thread from a while back though. I was in a shop a few weeks ago, went in out of the blue, I wanted to try out a little 1 watt Blackstar and asked if they had anything with p90s, they didn't, I explained that my go to guitar is an R6 goldtop and if I could try it with the closest thing they had. He handed me the nastiest LP copy I have ever seen or played, presumably because it was gold, the action was about 7mm at the 12th and it still buzzed! I was so staggered by these muppets that I played Stairway to Heaven, loud!

No one even flinched!

I see no reason why an unaccompanied 10-year-old or an accompanied 8-year-old should behave with less basic courtesy than a 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 or 80-year old.

The problem in many retail stores is that there no longer is the expectation of polite behavior for people ... can I say it? Under 50 or so?

I also think that, like it or not, in a retail store people pretty much do have to keep an eye on customers to size them up for sales - or shoplifting - purposes.

Sounds horrid. But the thing is, you really can tell a lot by initial appearance. The problem is letting the potential customer know where your head is gong whether they look like a certain sale or a shoplifter.

So... a bit of courtesy and a decent appearance doesn't hurt on either side of the counter.

m

Right as always. [thumbup]

I don't care what a potential customer's age is, he should behave or go elsewhere. Sadly most people (you are right, below 50 and some above 50) are not well behaved and will end up being a problem for the store.

We don't have Guitar Center here in Canada (yet)our big chain is Long and McQuade.The local L&M in St. John's NL. is like a pimple popper day care on weekends with 13 and 14 year olds picking up $3000 Les Pauls and Custom Shop Strats and running them full tilt boogie through Marshall stacks-it's bloody agravating for serious musicians who go there to check out gear without having to compete with some snot-nose who's showing off by playing Eruption very piss poorly.I very rarely go there any more and when I do I make sure that I go on a school day.MY favourite music store these days is Reid Music in MT. Pearl,NL at least they are fussy about who they let pick up gear to try and most,except for a few long time customers,have to ask a salesman to take down a guitar.I have found that they give better more personalized service too.

Archived