Gibson Brands Forums

Changing strings on a Bigsby

AlanH

Don't know about you guys but I always find I could do with three or four hands when changing strings on a tun-o-matic bridge, let alone a bigsby where the ball ends readily fall off their pins.

Anyway, I changed the strings on my 'Kat at the weekend and I was going to use a strategically placed blob of Blu Tak (the kids bedroom poster gum) to prevent this problem. However, it turned out that my wife had thrown our Blu Tak away as it had gone off. So, I reverted to plan 'B'- borrowing some kiddy play dough. This had the desired effect meaning I could concentrate solely on guiding, crimping and winding. It also came away very easily from the poly finish without leaving a mark.

Hope this is of some help to people with fumble fingers like me.

Alan

I keep reading about what problems some folks seem to have stringing a Bigsby. It was obvious to me the first time I tried it that one simply has to bend the ball end of the string into a tight circle first; after that it's pretty straightforward.

I keep reading about what problems some folks seem to have stringing a Bigsby. It was obvious to me the first time I tried it that one simply has to bend the ball end of the string into a tight circle first; after that it's pretty straightforward.

yeah, I try that but the ball end still has that horrible tendency to pop off the pin

That's exactly how the folks at bigsby suggest you do it, just kink the ball end before you put it over the pin.

yeah, I try that but the ball end still has that horrible tendency to pop off the pin

This.

I find that no matter how I pre-bend the string, letting the tension off at all when stringing it will see the ball-end pop right off.

I just pull the string tight and use a capo to keep it tight while I wind it onto the peg.

This.

I find that no matter how I pre-bend the string, letting the tension off at all when stringing it will see the ball-end pop right off.

I just pull the string tight and use a capo to keep it tight while I wind it onto the peg.

Yes, the B and high E are the particular culprits for me- no matter how much I bend them round.

Love the Capo idea too!

Alan

Never thought of the capo. I use those little foam wedges that women use to apply makeup. Bend the string. slip it on the pin, slide wedge underneath. Works like a charm. Never tried one but I've heard that larger pencil erasers will also work. YMMV.

I agree, while it can be more difficult to string a Bigsby, it's not that difficult, I do one string at a time, create curve at ball end, thread it, then tension it right away, no muss, no fuss.

Archived