Gibson Brands Forums

Real or wannabe?

Rizal

Guest FarnsBarns

Hi everyone.

Need help again.

Is this is real or not? Seller claim it is original. The description is written in English, so any comment is appreciated. He posted a few photos.

Original Gibson Les Paul Custom AAA Flame Maple

Wait for more posts as I am not that knowledgable on LP customs but it looks good. I am surprised to find that these came with the cable and truss rod tool as recently as three years ago. And who the hell loses the COA but not the holder. My guess is that its a good'un none the less

How ya been Rizal ???? Looks OK to me as well, but, even you know how many good fakes are around there...

The color doesn't look like a reg color, but, who knows............

I have been doing OK Damian. Thanks for asking. And yes, I am still looking for my first LP.

Yes, there are very good fakes here (not just guitar, but almost anything). I wouldn't know how to differentiate them.

So, hoping experts here could help to determine. I have not contacted the seller. I wanted see what come out from here first.

Gibson are priced too high here. 16-20K for a brand new LP. Even if I convert that to USD, it is still too much. Unbelievable. So, I can only afford used, and the price he mentioned is within my range.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Thanks TehBeast.

Anyway, I was wondering what TehBeast means? My first thought was a typo. Teh = The

Well, since you derailed your own thread.. Yeah I wondered that too, for ages!

The headstock is 70s style, but it says it's a re-issue type custom shop....LP Customs NEVER came with flame tops,

but, then again, it's a says it's a Custom Shop LP, and they'll build anything for a customer....It's hard to see if the

binding has nibs, but it looks like it does....So, for me, it's a tough call...............

There's an LP the same color hanging in our town and it's the real deal. But can't tell you more about the particulars. Did you check the Gibson page on how to spot a fake from China?

The headstock is 70s style, but it says it's a re-issue type custom shop....LP Customs NEVER came with flame tops,

but, then again, it's a says it's a Custom Shop LP, and they'll build anything for a customer....It's hard to see if the

binding has nibs, but it looks like it does....So, for me, it's a tough call...............

Sorry for silly question. What is Binding nibs?

There's an LP the same color hanging in our town and it's the real deal. But can't tell you more about the particulars. Did you check the Gibson page on how to spot a fake from China?

No, I didn't know it exist. Care to post a link?

Sorry for silly question. What is Binding nibs?

On LPs, on real Gibby LPs, the binding on the neck has nibs; the binding rises up and covers the ends of the frets...

This takes work to do, and to do well; Many fakes skip this step......

Member " adius " has a rather interesting collection of guitars, ( Love that Rick !!!!!!! ), as such, he indeed does know

his guitars, and well......As far as Guitarest mentioning the yellowed headstock binding, I really don't know.........

@Damian

Ok. I understand now. Because I have seen the fake neck binding, and the real Gibson neck binding. Some one the guys here put that Gibson binding on his fake Gibson by sending it to a luthier.

As for the different tone of colors on the headstack vs the rest. I understand that too. I probably need to see the guitar for myself to see if just because of the photo/lighthing.

No, I didn't know it exist. Care to post a link?

Damian - Appreciate the words. Glad you like the Rick. Me too. It's a little screamer.

Rizal - Here's a link to the store but no pic of that LP. It's the LP Plus listed on their inventory. I'll be in there again tomorrow to snap a photo and will try to remember to get a pic of it. River City

The binding issue is one spot - of many - where the Chinese fakes (redundant) fail. The binding on the real Paul from the bound headstock stops at the nut. On the Chinese fakes it slides under the nut about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. It's unmistakable.

Damian - Appreciate the words. Glad you like the Rick. Me too. It's a little screamer.

Rizal - Here's a link to the store but no pic of that LP. It's the LP Plus listed on their inventory. I'll be in there again tomorrow to snap a photo and will try to remember to get a pic of it. River City

The binding issue is one spot - of many - where the Chinese fakes (redundant) fail. The binding on the real Paul from the bound headstock stops at the nut. On the Chinese fakes it slides under the nut about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. It's unmistakable.

Thanks Adius.

I am trying to picture what you are saying about the binding, but with my small brain, I doesn't seem to be able to. A photo or 2, would be nice

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

This shows how the binding overlaps the fret ends, known as nibs...

binding-nub.jpg

This shows the headstock binding on many fakes...

29b248131f27878d9c18_8.jpg

On the real thing the neck binding ends at the nut and the headtock binding starts after the nut but in the picture you can see the headtock binding goes under the nut and joins in to the neck binding, this is wrong.

Thanks all for the respond.

I have asked the seller to send me more photos.. but he has not responded.

Any chance any of you know the spec of this LP?

Meaning ?? Multi-piece mahogany back, maple top ( usually plain ), 490R and 498T HBs, 9 weight relief holes, ect ect....

Usually 8 - 9+ lbs......Multiply binding........

Yes. Something as your answer. Or model name or something so that I could google it

Les Paul Custom. But..if doing so to check pics, be sure to make sure the pics you are looking at are also not copies.

You could also check the year in photos. Keep in mind the owner says 3 years old, but it may be slightly older from spending time at the dealer before getting sold.

I studied the photos, and I can not find anything wrong with it. The color of the photos seems weird. I don't know if it matters, but the pups and switch appear chrome instead of gold, but this may be the camera causing this.

Archived