Gibson Brands Forums

Real or wannabe?

Rizal

Thanks TehBeast.

Anyway, I was wondering what TehBeast means? My first thought was a typo. Teh = The

Well, since you derailed your own thread.. Yeah I wondered that too, for ages!

It started out as a typo, then I noticed but I already got known as "TehBeast"

so I didnt change it. but you can call me Beast [biggrin]

Just to update..

The seller finally responded to my email. A very short one. He is saying he is somewhere north of the country doing a show. He sent a few photos, but those are the same photos that are on the site.

He give out a serial no

7 9877

He is checking his email less regularly, and he didn't give out his phone number as well.

EDIT: He mentioned this as well

yes, that is a 1957 reissue model made in kalamazo usa.

reissue in 2008. all vintage parts, only the pickups is Gibson burstbucker 1& 2. ( more powerfull than normal 57's pickups)

Forgive me if you've already discussed this before. Would a better option not be to take a short holiday to a nearby city with a 100% legit Gibson dealer, choose the axe that feels right to you and buy it?

It's what I would do if I was in your situation. Even if you have to leave Malaysia. It may be a good alternative unless there's something I'm not aware of.

Forgive me if you've already discussed this before. Would a better option not be to take a short holiday to a nearby city with a 100% legit Gibson dealer, choose the axe that feels right to you and buy it?

It's what I would do if I was in your situation. Even if you have to leave Malaysia. It may be a good alternative unless there's something I'm not aware of.

Yes, but dealers price at way too high.

The dealer here priced Gibson LP around 14-20K (user 3.1 to USD as currency rate). If you convert date, I think it is double the price what most people pay in US.

The nearest is Singapore, the price will still be much lower than Malaysia, but still high. I can't afford it.

I do not have any trip, or least a planned one in near future.

So, buying used is my only options, and since fakes, are easier to find that a genuine one here, hence, all the questions. :)

And.. go Kamui Kobayashi...

Yes, but dealers price at way too high.

The dealer here priced Gibson LP around 14-20K (user 3.1 to USD as currency rate). If you convert date, I think it is double the price what most people pay in US.

The nearest is Singapore, the price will still be much lower than Malaysia, but still high. I can't afford it.

I do not have any trip, or least a planned one in near future.

So, buying used is my only options, and since fakes, are easier to find that a genuine one here, hence, all the questions. :)

And.. go Kamui Kobayashi...

Awesome... I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice the almighty Kamui ... Is there anywhere else that's maybe far but affordable? Even if you have to travel for a few days. For example, could you get a cheap flight to the US, canada or UK? I understand how you want to own a real Gibson. If for example, it would cost you less than the price of a new Gibson in the US to purchase flights and transfers, it may be worth it. Some American Gibson dealers have hundreds of guitars to choose from. If it's affordable, that would certainly be my recommendation as you would be able to have a good look and find one that's right for you. Remember that if it's looked after, a les paul will outlive you and due to the difficulties faced in buying one in Malaysia, this may be your only Gibson.

I have a friend who is a fender fanatic. American made guitars are much cheaper in America, so he frequently flies to California and gets himself a nice Fender. I understand that the cost of flying from Malaysia could be astronomical, but it may be an alternative to consider.

Hope things work out for you. :)

Thanks for the advice Mr Kobayashi :)

The trip to States just for getting a guitar, to me is not worth the time, and money. The travel alone would take 20 hours if not more. And the airfare would be around the price of the used guitar I am asking about. I have asked around some people to help me get one, whenever they travel there, but since its a large item, no one was willing..

And since 911, getting a visa is no longer as easy as it would be.

Maybe a trip to Hong Kong would better :)

To me its a fake. I do a lot of work in spotting Lies. its my business. Have a look at all the goodies you get with this hes kept everything perfectly except one little important thing. The custom shop certificate. Secondly why as a customer would you take gold hardware and then put in nickel PUPS ?

Just to update..

The seller finally responded to my email. A very short one. He is saying he is somewhere north of the country doing a show. He sent a few photos, but those are the same photos that are on the site.

He give out a serial no

7 9877

He is checking his email less regularly, and he didn't give out his phone number as well.

reissue in 2008. all vintage parts, only the pickups is Gibson burstbucker 1& 2. ( more powerfull than normal 57's pickups)

Um so he is emailing you that the pickups are Burstbuckers but advertising them as 57's Steer clear its a fake

Just to update..

He give out a serial no

7 9877

something else that strikes me as funny... did I read this right? He told you it's a 1957 reissue built in 2008 at the Kalamazoo, Michigan factory?

If I've read this correctly either he doesn't know what he's talking about or he is selling a fake and REALLY doesn't know what he's talking about. The Kalamazoo factory closed over 20 years ago. If this guitar was built in 2008 it would have come from the Nashville factory.

Even if you choose to ignore the other's reasons for believing it's a fake, just this one piece of misinformation he's given you is enough to be of concern. He could just not know what he's talking about, or he could be lying to you in the hopes you didn't know that Gibson no longer made guitars in Kalamazoo.

As I said before and Im finding it hard to write this but my job is to spot lies its a good job but it creates a lot of enemies. So my question is this. Why are you still interested in this guitar? Everyone is pointing out its flaws and how it doesnt seem right. What else is to be deduced that it appears as though someone is using the information we provide to make it easier for them to make copies. You want to buy a Gibson at American prices go to ebay find an on line store that is reputable and shop away. even with shipping at the costs youre referencing you could send 5 guitars and still make money selling new ones there. Alternatively buy from Wichita and sons they send overseas. Sorry if it offended you but I cant see why anyone would keep asking questions.

@Enmitygauged

Yes, I understand what you are saying, and others too. The reason I keep asking is, I wanted to know how someone knows its a fake, and by that I could learn what to look for in future. If you trace my thread in this forum, I have posted something like this before. I just wanted to know how people know its a fake. I do not own a Gibson, even if I do, right now, I wouldn't know whether it is fake or not. Its the same approach I apply in Ibanez forum. The last Ibanez I bought, was posted on that forum, and with their help, they confirm its real, and what to look for to spot a fake. With that information, I then went and met the seller, and checked the guitar, with the information that I already have.

Even some here who owns Gibson(s), couldn't figure out it as well. What chance do I have??

I have seen people saying, buying things without doing homework. I am just doing exactly that. Homework.

By the way, the piece of paper that are missing, can also be a fake (if the owner have it). If they can fake a car, and almost everything else, that piece of paper is easy.

I don't buy something from eBay. I don't buy things I couldn't see right in front of me. Call me stupid, but that is how I am when buying things.

Thanks for you thoughts.

It's almost certainly a fake.

There are several things which appear to be very wrong indeed and one big 'detail-error' which seems to have been deliberately obscured by careful placement of one of the bits of case-candy.

Furthermore that serial number would date the instrument from 2009, not 2008. As the serial number - and hence production number - is quite high (in Custom Shop terms) it's clearly not from the early part of the year therefore the seller couldn't possibly have had it for 3 years.

And, as has been mentioned, Gibson ended Kalamazoo production in June 1984.

I'd strongly advise you to steer clear.

P.

Thanks all for all the inputs

I have responded to the seller that I am letting the 'offer' go.

However, if any of you, found anything unusual about the guitar or anything related to it, please feel free to post.

Thanks again

However, if any of you, found anything unusual about the guitar or anything related to it, please feel free to post.

With due respect I, for one, would rather not highlight where, exactly, the forgers are getting the details wrong (I only mentioned the serial number in my earlier post as it's so very obviously incorrect).

P.

@BigKahune

If you are referring to the neck binding nibs, there is actually. I have seen the bigger photo.

Placement of controls? you mean the 4 knobs?

Interesting about the nibs - I couldn't see them in the small pics.

The knobs. The vol knob next to the stop on a real Gibson LP has the center of that knob slightly below (toward the butt end) the line made by the end stop. Fakes are generally on that line or above it. On the one you've posted the knobs are spaced very well, but the whole group is shifted a bit up toward the neck so that stop knob is even with the stop line. Look at your avatar LP and you'll see what I mean.

Good move on staying away from this one.

The only realistic option is to buy from an AUTHORIZED DEALER Rizal........From the U.S., Canada, perhaps Japan...........

There must be someway to get that done......Unless you don't mind owning a forged Les Paul..........

The only realistic option is to buy from an AUTHORIZED DEALER Rizal........From the U.S., Canada, perhaps Japan...........

There must be someway to get that done......Unless you don't mind owning a forged Les Paul..........

*sigh* I guess so.

I do mind. So, the search continue.

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

I think Bangkok airlines fly KUL-BKK-TYO/HKG, and SilkAir fly KUL-SIN for next to nothing as well. I Sri Lankan Airlines will get you KUL-CMB, and from there you can easily get to major Indian cities. Also UAE is easy from KUL on Emirates.

Archived