Gibson Brands Forums

'08 standard pickup change

Stephen5

Ok so I've been wanting to buy some Seymour duncan alnico II pro's but the only thing thats holding me back is that I have no idea how to change pickups in the new 2008 Les paul standards.... heres a picture of what it looks like in the back http://mos.musicradar.com/images/Product%20News/Guitar/July08/gibson/2008-les-paul-standard-deta-471-100-460-70.jpg

and help is much appreciated...

You can just cut the plug ends off the original pickups and solder them to the new SD ones. Give yourself enough wire to work with and tape or shrink wrap the solder joints when you're done so thay don't short out.

You can just cut the plug ends off the original pickups and solder them to the new SD ones. Give yourself enough wire to work with and tape or shrink wrap the solder joints when you're done so thay don't short out.

Good plan.

The SD pickups will come with 4 wires plus a bare ground wire. The old Gibson pickups have 2 wires. I'm not sure if they have a ground wire. I don't see one in the picture. For each pickup, you'll hook up the green and black wires on the new pickup to the green and black wires that used to go to the old pickup. Then you'll take the red and white wires from the new pickup and hook them together.

The only other thing you need to do is to hook up the ground wire on each new pickup. I'm not sure whether you can hook it up right along with the green wire. If it was me, I'd hook up the new ground wires to that bare ground wire that you can see in the picture.

Here's a diagram:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

If it were me....

i'd take all the components and PCB out and fit in traditional wiring. CTS pots quality caps and wire it up to 50's spec. I too have Alnico 2 pro's in my LP Traditional. 300k vol pot for Neck and 500k Vol for bridge to get those solo's cutting through the mix and still have that warm neck tone

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Actually you can use a pin to pull the contacts out of the connector and then solder them to the wires of the new pickup before inserting them back in to the connector, makes a much cleaner job.

Archived