Gibson Brands Forums

I Finally Wrote My Own Song! Not Another Cover!!!

Tman5293

That's right! I wrote a song of my own. The title of the song is "Slow Blues In A". There are three parts: Lead Solo, Rhythm, and Bass. All three were played on my SG. When you listen to it you will notice a bit of clipping. I let the mic clip a bit on purpose. I thought it added a very 1930's recording type of feeling to the song. I would like to hear some opinions on this. Do you guys like the slight clipping or should I never do that again? I would also like constructive criticism on my playing. I have been told that I needed improvement on my rhythm playing. Did I improve?

Here it is:

http://soundcloud.com/tman5293/slow-blues-in-a/

Enjoy! msp_cool.gif

Playing was good.

My only criticism is that, IMO, recording a rhythm part and then throwing a solo on top isn't writing a song. That's playing a solo

Well I guess you're sorta right. I felt accomplished because I didn't use a backing track this time. msp_flapper.gif

Very bluesy and fantastic. OK let's make it a song -

I wanted to write a song and I let the moment get me....oh yea

I wanted to write a song, yea, the moment I said got me.......yea

I played a few licks, then done got my kicks,.... oh yea....

Got those songwriters blues, I've been wantin this all o'my life.....

Got those songwriters blues, PLEASE don't gimme no strife..

Long hours, cold showers, callouses on my hand

oh yea

Just sing something like that to your already very good backing track of your making and viola other Tman!

smiley-music012.gif

smiley-music021.gif

Very bluesy and fantastic. OK let's make it a song -

I wanted to write a song and I let the moment get me....oh yea

I wanted to write a song, yea, the moment I said got me.......yea

I played a few licks, then done got my kicks,.... oh yea....

Got those songwriters blues, I've been wantin this all o'my life.....

Got those songwriters blues, PLEASE don't gimme no strife..

Long hours, cold showers, callouses on my hand

oh yea

Just sing something like that to your already very good backing track of your making and viola other Tman!

smiley-music012.gif

smiley-music021.gif

Thanks! msp_thumbup.gif

I was actually kind hoping I could find someone to come up with some real bluesy lyrics and download my song and add the vocals. Maybe I found the guy for the job? At least the lyrics. msp_thumbup.gif

I have to echo Freddy here, playing a little ditty with the ole standard I IV V progression of the blues is not a new song you wrote. But, it IS authentic, as many blues players from the past have made the same claim.

Regarding that though, if anything, what it means is that you COULD write your own tune and make it happen. Just add some words or come up with your own melody to it. And, you could do that all day long in different keys, as well.

As for the distortion and the sound, I couldn't tell it was from the mic. I thought the whole sound was great. You could even find out what chip or whatever is in the mic or the mic-pre and make a pedal. But, like the I IV V, that has been done before too. But, here again, it shows you have at the bare minimum, achieved a level of HIPNESS and approached a level of cool that puts you with the guys that have done this.

As for the song itself, I enjoyed it. The lead has FLAVOR and so does the background chording and progression. It sticks in my head just nicely.

As for your rhythm playing, I can't recall or have anything to compare to to be able to say for sure you are improving, but I notice some good and bad. The good, is that the COUNT (1...2...3...4...) seems to be there, and the leads even come in properly with it, and the meter for the most part stays the same throughout. That's a very good thing. But, the in-between syncopation changes at times.

It seems from listening to your EXECUTION of the chording you have the ability to play good rhythm, but you need a little more knowledge on what it is you should be doing in order to lay it down consistently. You lay down and play a groove just fine, in both the beginning and the middle, but you switch grooves. So, you CAN lay down a good groove with good time, (as you have done in parts of this tune) but I think you are unaware of keeping that same groove when you go to change the rhythm a bit when you do.

Did that make sense?

Thanks! msp_thumbup.gif

I was actually kind hoping I could find someone to come up with some real bluesy lyrics and download my song and add the vocals. Maybe I found the guy for the job? At least the lyrics. msp_thumbup.gif

Would be a fun project other Tman! You've received good constructive criticism from FF and Stein. Make it so!

I have to echo Freddy here, playing a little ditty with the ole standard I IV V progression of the blues is not a new song you wrote. But, it IS authentic, as many blues players from the past have made the same claim.

Regarding that though, if anything, what it means is that you COULD write your own tune and make it happen. Just add some words or come up with your own melody to it. And, you could do that all day long in different keys, as well.

As for the distortion and the sound, I couldn't tell it was from the mic. I thought the whole sound was great. You could even find out what chip or whatever is in the mic or the mic-pre and make a pedal. But, like the I IV V, that has been done before too. But, here again, it shows you have at the bare minimum, achieved a level of HIPNESS and approached a level of cool that puts you with the guys that have done this.

As for the song itself, I enjoyed it. The lead has FLAVOR and so does the background chording and progression. It sticks in my head just nicely.

As for your rhythm playing, I can't recall or have anything to compare to to be able to say for sure you are improving, but I notice some good and bad. The good, is that the COUNT (1...2...3...4...) seems to be there, and the leads even come in properly with it, and the meter for the most part stays the same throughout. That's a very good thing. But, the in-between syncopation changes at times.

It seems from listening to your EXECUTION of the chording you have the ability to play good rhythm, but you need a little more knowledge on what it is you should be doing in order to lay it down consistently. You lay down and play a groove just fine, in both the beginning and the middle, but you switch grooves. So, you CAN lay down a good groove with good time, (as you have done in parts of this tune) but I think you are unaware of keeping that same groove when you go to change the rhythm a bit when you do.

Did that make sense?

Wow thanks for your words of wisdom! It did indeed make sense and I shall apply this accordingly to my music. msp_thumbup.gif

Very nice! The only advice I have is...don't stop. I can only crank out a few new things a year these days. Work gets in the way for me. But if you find time then keep making music.

Thanks! I'll keep making/covering more songs for as long as I can. I'm on summer break so I should be able to crank out at least one song a week, but once school starts again I probably wont even get one a month.

Archived