Gibson Brands Forums

40's Zephyr restoration update

Bob Marsh

Here are a few updated photos of the restoration we're doing on the Old Epi Zephyr.

Here's the partially cleaned up body with the neck featuring new binding - the original celluloid binding crumbled long before we got our hands on the guitar.

5863315168_e14b718afe_z.jpg

The headstock overlay has been reglued, sanded and repainted with black Nitro. The original badge has been removed, cleaned and reinstalled.

5862765509_1f68e5f053_z.jpg5862765281_f8ef4f0e35_z.jpg

Here's the pup after Lindy Fralin overhauled it - The original shellac/paper insulation had long since gone away and the pickup didn't function - With Lindy's upgrade this will be a much higher output unit. Still has the original dirt which will carefully be cleaned away as Lindy doesn't alter the appearance of any vintage pup he works on. This thing weighs about a pound and a half...

5863314686_5417e60d0b_z.jpg

Sort of a sidebar to this job you might find interesting - a 60's Harmony Hollywood we're redoing for a good friend - Top was loose and badly warped from the large braces loosening up. Bob added a small transverse brace that is directly underneath the bridge for a bit more support. The headstock screenprinted graphic is in surprisingly good condition but the screenprinted gold position markers had to be redone. The back of the neck shows some interesting oxidation - talk about going green! As you can see Harmony wasn't too concerned with cleaning up the glue squeeze-out and believe me, they used enough glue!

5862761697_c4dfdd84b0_z.jpg

5863311622_a6a739fd0a_z.jpg

5863312578_132d4f383e_z.jpg

5862763355_429cdfcb47_z.jpg

5862762689_2efdd49b8a_z.jpg

Hope y'all enjoyed the pics!

B

RTH,

SHe is in good shape - should be a real peach when the master finishes her up.

We don't have the original plates and knobs - they were missing when we received the job. After a fruitless search we found a photo of the required pieces and I manufactured these - Not original, but I think they'll suffice as this will be a player, rather than a collectible. Photo here is from an earlier thread I started with the early stages of the job.

B

5606215846_680bfe77fe_z.jpg

RTH,

SHe is in good shape - should be a real peach when the master finishes her up.

We don't have the original plates and knobs - they were missing when we received the job. After a fruitless search we found a photo of the required pieces and I manufactured these - Not original, but I think they'll suffice as this will be a player, rather than a collectible. Photo here is from an earlier thread I started with the early stages of the job.

B

Ah, yes. I remember thread about those! Fantastic! Its great to see old instruments like this restored...especially to be a player!

• 3 weeks later...

Brian,

The Zephyr is progressing - Bob Rigaud has reset the neck and is in the process of reinstalling the pickup and other electronics - The one big hitch in the process is we're missing one of the distinctive tuning machines - they have the Epiphone Epsilon "E" stamped into the housing - and they are about as common as dragons teeth - We have several inquiries out there but so far, no joy. I'll be posting more photos as the progress continues...

Thanks for your interest!

B

I love this thread. There is possibly nothing more satisfying than resurrecting a guitar - putting it back in a condition so that it can do what they were built to.

Not an electric but this one still ain't for the squeamish. Then again, you should have seen it what it looked like before getting this far. While the guitar is still cosmetically challenged I gigged with it last weekend.

002.jpg

003.jpg

Anyway - keep the thread up to date as it puts a smile to my face.

Wowser! That one took a hit!

I salute you for bringing another one back from the brink - with a little care and sandpaper she'll look fine...please post pics when you've finished the repair -

I agree that resurrecting a damaged instrument is one of the best feelings you can get - and it's cheap entertainment!

B

Archived