Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot Royal anyone?

RUSHian

Does anyone own or played the new Epiphone Dot Royals? I'm thinking about buying one of these OR an Epi 50's Gold top Les Paul.

I've played the "Royales" and they are simply a rather gaudy attempt to aesthetically snazz up what are already classic guitars with SOPHISTICATED looks. To me the Royales sparkly binding cheapens the whole effect. At first I was intrigued by them but the more I played and looked at them I simply could not get beyond that glitter! I kept picturing Elvis playing one in his white jump suit and wearing those oversized sunglasses. "Thankya very much ma'em".

Now, the Gold Top (mine is the '56 resissue) is a different story. Yes, it plays exactly like my Epi LP Standard but......the P90's are awesome. I like them BETTER than the ones on my Gibson 1960s Tribute LP. In fact, I have the tribute up for sale and am keeping the Gold Top instead (take THAT Gibson!). The EPI GT is a different animal because the P90's have a creamy snarl or an almost crystaline clean....and when you turn up the gain......POW, right in the old kisser. It's the best $350 I ever spent (bought it used).

It's also a great example of how the Chinese builds have equalled themselves with the Korean. Mine is flawless and a dream to play.

img9422.jpg

I love my Dot Royale! I was really surprised at the quality and sound of this $450 guitar, not to mention the drop-dead looks! I've been able to set my DT-50 based rig up to pretty much channel Alex Lifeson from 1976 with this thing. Awesome deal!

Thanks! I really haven't had the chance to really , mostly played it on the couch. I may get one of these pickups :

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DIMDP209

Arghh, play with the P90s first, they're great, most are looking for HB sized P90s to replace there HB, you're going the other way and replacing a P90 with a P90 sized HB, just give them 90s a chance first.

OK, I got a chance to give my new Gold Top a good work out! I do love me those P90's!! Great sounds, and the make you play harder, because they have great tone, yet they are not over saturated and play lazy.

The only this is the hum when I get close to the amp! I love that "American Woman" Lead sound I can get now! And the sustain!! I'm glad I got the Gold Top- I almost like it better than my Plus Top Pro FX Les Paul.

OK, I got a chance to give my new Gold Top a good work out! I do love me those P90's!! Great sounds, and the make you play harder, because they have great tone, yet they are not over saturated and play lazy.

The only this is the hum when I get close to the amp! I love that "American Woman" Lead sound I can get now! And the sustain!! I'm glad I got the Gold Top- I almost like it better than my Plus Top Pro FX Les Paul.

LOL, another P90 convert, aren't they just absolutely wonderful, that's why I prompted you to give them a chance, the rewards can be great.

Archived