Gibson Brands Forums

EJ-200 questions

Svannim

Hey everyone! So I joined this forum to ask you all a few questions about the EJ-200. Months ago my girlfriend's dad let me play his J-200 Gibson and I loved it. So I go home, get on Google and discover it's WAY out of my price range. And when I discovered Epiphone makes a model of the J-200 I was very happy since I have had awesome experiences with Epiphone (Namely my Epiphone Les Paul Standard in cherryburst). Well after doing some research this is what confuses me the most. (I'm sorry for the redundancy).

Although I know the guitar was/is made 100% out of "select" (laminate) wood, recently a lot of people have been discovering that their guitars have solid tops. Also, the Epiphone site lists in the specs- Top: Solid Spruce. So how can I identify a solid model from a select model on the Vintage Sunburst/Natural/Black finish?

Also, I want to know everyone's experiences with this guitar. (Just a bit of FYI, I'm want to buy this guitar so I don't have to do my acoustic- Bluegrass, western, folk - work on my Fender resonator.) And if it'd be a good decision to buy. And lastly what would be good strings? (I was thinking D'Addario 12 phosphore bronze) And if it is worth the money to replace the nut, saddle and pins.

Thanks in advance guys.

P.S. Is there any significance in what factory the guitar was made in? And how can I identify what year and where it was made?

Hi!

To answer your questions, the only way for me to ensure that it's solid wood top is to buy a new one, or to buy a used one built in the middle of 2010 or later, and "manually" check the lines on the rosette, as shown in the other topic. For the chords, I read that most people like the Elixir chords on it. I don't have the answers to your other questions.

I also wanted to say that I'm in the same position than you, and a bit confused: I'm in love with the looks of the EJ200CE VS and I'd like to buy one, but I want to be sure that it's a solid and not laminated top. Would be nice to have more feedback about this question. Almost all online-sellers I know (Thomann and Woodbrass in Europe) are still displaying that the guitar has a laminated top. I think Epiphone should give clear information about this to the resellers, because this is quite an important information for the buyer.

I am looking for a jumbo cutaway guitar since months, and I discovered this guitar quite early, but when I read that it was laminated top I dismissed it. And when I read the other topic last week, about the EJ200CE being a solid top, I reconsidered buying it, and I am very close to do it now. I am just waiting for this guitar to be available in the online shops in Europe because it is currently out of stock and the sellers I contacted told me they don't have information from Epiphone about the stock, which is also quite annoying.

Now I have myself another questions to the other users: I'm going to buy my guitar from the web and would like to know if it will be possible to check out the lines of the wood despite the fact that it is painted in vintage sunburst. Sorry for the stupid question, but I this is the first guitar I'm buying and I would be annoyed to have to return the guitar because I'm not sure about the table. And for this reason, I'm also unsecure about the fact of buying one with the sunburst or the natural finition.

Cheers!

Hi!

To answer your questions, the only way for me to ensure that it's solid wood top is to buy a new one, or to buy a used one built in the middle of 2010 or later, and "manually" check the lines on the rosette, as shown in the other topic. For the chords, I read that most people like the Elixir chords on it. I don't have the answers to your other questions.

I also wanted to say that I'm in the same position than you, and a bit confused: I'm in love with the looks of the EJ200CE VS and I'd like to buy one, but I want to be sure that it's a solid and not laminated top. Would be nice to have more feedback about this question. Almost all online-sellers I know (Thomann and Woodbrass in Europe) are still displaying that the guitar has a laminated top. I think Epiphone should give clear information about this to the resellers, because this is quite an important information for the buyer.

I am looking for a jumbo cutaway guitar since months, and I discovered this guitar quite early, but when I read that it was laminated top I dismissed it. And when I read the other topic last week, about the EJ200CE being a solid top, I reconsidered buying it, and I am very close to do it now. I am just waiting for this guitar to be available in the online shops in Europe because it is currently out of stock and the sellers I contacted told me they don't have information from Epiphone about the stock, which is also quite annoying.

Now I have myself another questions to the other users: I'm going to buy my guitar from the web and would like to know if it will be possible to check out the lines of the wood despite the fact that it is painted in vintage sunburst. Sorry for the stupid question, but I this is the first guitar I'm buying and I would be annoyed to have to return the guitar because I'm not sure about the table. And for this reason, I'm also unsecure about the fact of buying one with the sunburst or the natural finition.

Cheers!

Ok so I got to play 5 EJ-200s yesterday and in all honesty, I was VERY let down by all but one. The one was actually an "Artist" model and was two-hundred less than the original. I played 2 laminate tops and 3 solids. I actually have the answer to you're question. On the natural finish, it is very easy to identify a solid top by seeing if the grain follows down into the sound hole. And on the Vintage sunburst, it's the same way. On the solid sunburst guitar, the finish stopped in the soundhole and I was able to follow the grain, so it's almost as easy to I.D. a solid top on the sunburst. As for the sound of the guitars.. The cut-away I played felt almost like an electric guitar, it played THAT good. But it had a damp sound (kinda like putting a pillow in a kickdrum) and my fender resonator was much louder. I also played 2 of the ej-200s without the cutaway and it was pretty much the same with both, there wasn't even much of a difference between the sound of the solid top and the laminate one. But then again, there COULD be a great sounding one out there, much like the "Artist" model I played. Hot DAMN it had a big sound! Really loud, very balanced and it resonated beautifully. The thing boomed like a canon. I was very suprised in the quality of the sound, VERY suprised... Keep in mind I played muliti-thousand dollar martins and taylors the same day. So you might just get lucky and find one of the fancy models that has a great sound, or you'll get duds. But I will continue searching (I didn't buy the artist.. my ears said 'yes' my eyes said 'no') and hopefully will find a great one. P.S. I played it's gibson cousin too.... J-200 natural finish.... Was a GORGEOUS guitar. Beautiful flame maple on the neck that stunned the hell out of me. But I was let down when I played it because it sounded "damp" as well.. Like I said, you might find a keeper, you might find a bad one.

I´m quite not sure if mine has a solid or spruce top, but it looks like a solid top to me....anyway...i really really love the tones i get out of mine.It´s a 2010 in Vintage Sunburst.

Try to find one that sounds like the "artist" one you played and grab it!

I´m quite not sure if mine has a solid or spruce top, but it looks like a solid top to me....anyway...i really really love the tones i get out of mine.It´s a 2010 in Vintage Sunburst.

Try to find one that sounds like the "artist" one you played and grab it!

Exactly. I wanted to buy the artist because it sounded so good but I would've taken it home and regretted not getting one with all the details that I love.

Not to rain on Epiphone's parade, but their acoustic guitars leave a lot to be desired, as do most poly-dipped Asian imports. In a similar price range, I think the best stuff is coming from Godin (Seagull/Art & Lutherie/Norman/Simon & Patrick), whose guitars are lightly finished in lacquer as opposed to thick urethane, allowing full resonance of the top. My A & L dread is much louder than most of its Asian counterparts, and it has a strong maple neck, to boot. It weighs a heckuva lot less, too, reflecting less wood and less finish, more resonance.

Not to rain on Epiphone's parade, but their acoustic guitars leave a lot to be desired, as do most poly-dipped Asian imports. In a similar price range, I think the best stuff is coming from Godin (Seagull/Art & Lutherie/Norman/Simon & Patrick), whose guitars are lightly finished in lacquer as opposed to thick urethane, allowing full resonance of the top. My A & L dread is much louder than most of its Asian counterparts, and it has a strong maple neck, to boot. It weighs a heckuva lot less, too, reflecting less wood and less finish, more resonance.

I would have to agree, but I also think there is potential in some, you just need to be patient. Also, if you're strictly looking for a jumbo (like me) there aren't many options for under five hundred.

Hi,

I'm new to the board and this is my first post but I wanted to chime in with my "find". I picked up a "used" EJ-200CE VS online from Musician's Friend a couple of weeks ago. I guess it was a store demo or something similar because It arrived in perfect condition. Looks and plays like a dream. Great sound plugged in or not. Thanks to this board I know it was made in December 2010 so it should have a solid top. As I said, it sounds great. Still has the strings it arrived with but plan to change to Tusq saddle and pins soon.

I love it so much that this weekend I decided to order the EJ-200 in natural. Thanks to July 4th sales I got a good deal. This time at Guitar Center online. My local GC didn't have any in stock. It arrives on Thursday. Hope my online luck continues! If not, it will go back as I can return it to the store.

My Epi collection is growing fast. In addition to the EJ's I have the AJ500RE, Dove and Hummingbird. Yeah, I am hooked.

Hi,

I'm new to the board and this is my first post but I wanted to chime in with my "find". I picked up a "used" EJ-200CE VS online from Musician's Friend a couple of weeks ago. I guess it was a store demo or something similar because It arrived in perfect condition. Looks and plays like a dream. Great sound plugged in or not. Thanks to this board I know it was made in December 2010 so it should have a solid top. As I said, it sounds great. Still has the strings it arrived with but plan to change to Tusq saddle and pins soon.

I love it so much that this weekend I decided to order the EJ-200 in natural. Thanks to July 4th sales I got a good deal. This time at Guitar Center online. My local GC didn't have any in stock. It arrives on Thursday. Hope my online luck continues! If not, it will go back as I can return it to the store.

My Epi collection is growing fast. In addition to the EJ's I have the AJ500RE, Dove and Hummingbird. Yeah, I am hooked.

Hey man! Tell me how that new EJ sounds when you get it. I am also looking at getting a natural one.

I bought my 2010 EJ200 VS "knowing" it was a laminate. It

was made in April. It has a big booming sound like it's

supposed too. Then the thread started that they began making

the tops solid. I checked under the fret board at the sound

hole where it wasn't completely finished. The grain runs through

the whole top. So it wound up being a solid top. I would have been

upset if it were the other way around. Epi's descriptions aren't

always accurate/up to date.

My debate is, since these are poly finished guitars, does it really

matter if they are solid? They will not "open" up. Okay, maybe inside

the guitar will, since it's not finished. I think bracing has a lot to

do with the sound too.

Regardless, mine sounded great from the first day I picked it up. If you find

one that sounds good, take it home. Used could be the way to go too - even if it's

not solid. If it sounds good - get it. These things lose value fast and you could

get one with all the bling for $250 with a case on Craigs List if you're lucky.

FWIW....Last week I saw an EJ-200 in natural for sale on the Sweetwater website that was listed as having a "select" spruce top. I contacted Marvin at Sweetwater and explained that there has been some confusion as to whether the tops of these guitars were solid or laminate. I heard back shortly that the top was indeed solid and the description on their website was changed from "select" to "solid". Now, whether or not this is true for all of them, I do not know.

Hey man! Tell me how that new EJ sounds when you get it. I am also looking at getting a natural one.

Well, it arrived today and it's a keeper!! Sounds great! Made in Indonesia in March 2011. When I got the EJ-200CE-VS I really wanted a natural. It looks, sounds and plays great, even with the factory strings!

Hope you get yours soon. Keep us posted!

A short question: does the EJ-200 Limited Artist Edition also come with a solid top?

On one of the other threads a few EJ-200 Artist owners are stating they have solid tops. No reference to the top material on the Epiphone site. If it is solid it's a great deal.

Well my decision has been made to buy an EJ-200 Artist. I started disliking the look of the moustache bridge on the EJ because it isn't partially hollow and it is blocky (look at the Gibson bridge and you'll see what I mean), and I started disliking that the pickguard has a decal look instead of a carved look like that of the Gibson. I also saw the Gibson Western Classic which I personally like more than the J-200 and that totally killed my want for the EJ. I found a nice vintage Epi called a FT-570 which looks a whole lot like the Western Classic but I didn't like the sunburst or the fact that it was all laminate for $225. So I think the artist is right for me. Gorgeous sound, blonde finish that I want, no epi moustache bridge, solid top and on top of all of that, still less costly new than the EJ-200 and the FT-570. I'll let you all know how I like it when I buy it.

Well my decision has been made to buy an EJ-200 Artist. I started disliking the look of the moustache bridge on the EJ because it isn't partially hollow and it is blocky (look at the Gibson bridge and you'll see what I mean), and I started disliking that the pickguard has a decal look instead of a carved look like that of the Gibson. I also saw the Gibson Western Classic which I personally like more than the J-200 and that totally killed my want for the EJ. I found a nice vintage Epi called a FT-570 which looks a whole lot like the Western Classic but I didn't like the sunburst or the fact that it was all laminate for $225. So I think the artist is right for me. Gorgeous sound, blonde finish that I want, no epi moustache bridge, solid top and on top of all of that, still less costly new than the EJ-200 and the FT-570. I'll let you all know how I like it when I buy it.

Good choice. I agree the Gibson bridge is nicer. The Artist is a great deal and has the look and sound you want. I was very tempted by the Artist, too. Good luck & keep us posted!

How does the laminate change the sound?

Why do they chance the pins and bridge? what does that do to the sound of the guitar?

Ok so I believe the theory is that since laminate is multiple pieces of wood (plywood and such) the top doesn't resonate as much which gives it a dampened sound (think putting your hand on a snare drum then hitting it). People change the pins and saddle, I think you mean saddle not bridge, for two reasons, to enhance the looks of the instrument (my dad changed his nut because he didn't like the way it looked), or to improve the sound, or both. I've never changed my saddle, nut, or bridge pins on any instrument, but I've heard that changing the saddle from plastic to bone makes a huge difference in the tone of the guitar.

Hey guys! I just got this beauty today and I can't be more impressed with it. I went back to GC to pick up the display model I played last week and asked if I could get a box for it so it wouldn't get damaged on the ride home and the guy said they had another brand new one in the original unopened box and that we could swap the two. Well I asked if I could play the unopened one just for fun and it turned out this one was MUCH nicer. The wood was way nicer on this guitar, it was a little darker and it had a beautiful grain and a very stunning back and it didn't buzz as much as the display model did so I decided to buy that one instead for the same price. It's one damn big guitar but at 6 foot, it's easy and comfortable for me, unlike dreads. Looks great on the stand and off. One question though for the owners.. It has brand new strings on it and a bought a set of medium D'Addario's but I was wondering what gauge and brand the factory strings are. Thanks!

i got an ej 200 . and have the dadarios on it great guitar . no problems . yesterday i added a presys pre amp to it . sounds great through the fender twin.

good luck with yours . i didnt chanhe much other than the presys and a bone saddle. great guitar although if you play the gibson and then the epi. the gibson does sound better. but thats what you pay for.

Archived