Gibson Brands Forums

50th Anniversary SG Standard 24 In Action

jaygl

Good job Jay! When I got my 2005 Standard the other day I went out & bought a school boy outfit ... wife said "it don't work on everybody".msp_lol.gif

Just a bit of personal trivia ... (1969)my first hi-power amp was a Traynor Bassmaster all tube head with 2 Traynor twin 15" cabs. This amp was Canada's answer to the Fender Bassman head which everyone was using for guitar back then. When I was 17 or 18 my band then (from Detroit) would work in Toronto a lot ... up & down Yonge Street and the Spadina/Queen Street corridors.

One night in a club called the Gasworks, a young man came up to the stage and congratulated me on the earsplitting,deafening sound of my amp & original Les Paul Custom (SG). He was the inventor of those amps ... Peter Traynor. To me, it was kinda like having Jim Marshall walk up to ya or somethin' ..msp_thumbup.gif

That head lasted me until about 1994. It just couldn't be serviced anymore.

Good job Jay! When I got my 2005 Standard the other day I went out & bought a school boy outfit ... wife said "it don't work on everybody".msp_lol.gif

Just a bit of personal trivia ... (1969)my first hi-power amp was a Traynor Bassmaster all tube head with 2 Traynor twin 15" cabs. This amp was Canada's answer to the Fender Bassman head which everyone was using for guitar back then. When I was 17 or 18 my band then (from Detroit) would work in Toronto a lot ... up & down Yonge Street and the Spadina/Queen Street corridors.

One night in a club called the Gasworks, a young man came up to the stage and congratulated me on the earsplitting,deafening sound of my amp & original Les Paul Custom (SG). He was the inventor of those amps ... Peter Traynor. To me, it was kinda like having Jim Marshall walk up to ya or somethin' ..msp_thumbup.gif

That head lasted me until about 1994. It just couldn't be serviced anymore.

That's pretty cool Bluzeguy.....I'm about 15 min away from the Traynor factory.....I should go for a tour!! I too had an old Traynor head...a YB...it blew up(literally....caught on fire) while in a session in a Toronto studio in about 1998....I ended up giving it to the producer who has gone on to work with many great artists. I often wonder if it's my old head I'm hearing on some of his work.I'm a Traynor guy for sure....not gonna compare to other amps, but to my ear it's a great pairing with the 57 classic pup,s in the standard 24.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

...but to my ear it's a great pairing with the 57 classic pup,s in the standard 24.

Hard to beat an SG with 57s.

Aquired my first battle scar on her lastnight at jam. A very slight ding on the headstock compliments of my mic stand. Ah well, first times the tough one, right? LOL.

Those are character. The SG I gigged extensively with from 2005-2008 looks like she's been through some rough times and I wouldn't have her any other way.

Archived