Gibson Brands Forums

More talk about LPs

Artie Owl

Hey gang, some of you may remember a while back the wife and I went to a Record fair and I procured a bunch of great albums on vinyl.

One of the albums I was looking for was John Mayall and the Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton. The guy who was running the booth said that he sold that one brand new for 24.99 back at his shop, and I told him I'd go pick it up later on.

Today I finally got the opportunity, and I walked in and picked it out of the case and paid for it. It wasn't until I got home and looked at it that I noticed it had a "Back to Black" campaign which offered anyone who bought the LP a free complete MP3 download of the album including artwork. That was a great surprise!

It was a bit tedious downloading each track individually, but they did offer both original and stereo versions of the song. If more of my favourite wish list albums are made available on this and it becomes a permanent thing, I can see me acquiring many more albums this way [thumbup]

www.backtoblackvinyl.com

Thats a great website, LP's are slowing making a comeback. Some metal mag gives away a free LP with one song on it (i think covers only) with every issue if im correct and thats pretty damn cool.

I also see they have Blind Faith to. [flapper]

what do YOU use these days to spin them on? i love to see things from my childhood make a comeback. my aunt has a player that still has tubes..and it works,but it needs new speakers.it is a whole stereo system from the late 50's or early 60's.i think my uncle had repaired it a few times and replaced the tubes a long time ago. i played records from chuck barry,beach boys,chet atkins,elvis and johnny cash to name a few. i had a good musical education early on.

I love vinyl and try to buy as much of it as possible, especially new releases that include a digital download. It's the best of both worlds. When I chill out with a beer in my office I spin records. When I go for walks around the city I can take the music with my on my iPod. Reissues on 180 gram vinyl are great too if they are pressed from the original masters or remastered from the original master mixes. One word of advice - do not fear mono. All of the Beatles records up to and through Sgt. Pepper's were mixed mono.

What to play it on? My turntable ain't nothing special (Sony PSLX350H), but my stylus is an Ortofon 2M Red. My system is a Marantz reference amp and Polk speakers. It treats your ears like a king.

In my grandparents house they had a big receiver that was geared up for big speakers and radio, cassette, vinyl and CD (it was just coming in) so the system isn't too old and sounds awesome. For now I'm limited to playing them with my Nan at her house but hey, I love my Nan and it's a great way to spend time with her. I actually bought her a Herb Alpert and the Tijuna (or however it's spelled) Brass for her to spin, since she thought she'd never find another one again.

Archived