Gibson Brands Forums

Just picked this up on craigslist what do you think?

mydeadblues

I posted this in the gibson bass section as well but I feel more at home on this epiphone forum. [thumbup]

This just popped up on craigslist and the price was too good to be true...I couldn't resist.

I'll start with the good news... It looks great, plays great, it's a mojo monster, came with the original case, and has a ton of potential.

And now the ugly... The neck has a vertical crack on the back of the headstock and two cracks/splits running down each side of the neck along the fretboard from the nut to about the 3rd fret. The bridge was replaced, the pick guard was broken and now has a separate piece for the input jack. Also, some positions on the toggle and selector switch are a bit noisy if the switch is not in perfect position. Tuners were replaced with Gotoh made in Japan tuning keys (two of which were installed upside down because these tuners were designed for a row tuning style headstock). The bass was refretted and last but not least...I think the bass was repainted/refinished which covered the decal serial number! [crying]

All that aside, it's a great players guitar. The cracks aren't that bad and they don't effect the playability or the sound of the instrument. It still stays in tune just fine and whoever refinished it did a pretty good job. I'm guessing it was refinished when the cracks were fixed. The scratchy/noisy switches will most likely go away with a good cleaning. The guy I got this from had it stored away for years without touching it. The frets are in fair shape, they still have a lot of life left in them. There aren't a lot of dings and scratches and IMO it's in really good shape for its age. The case is also in good shape. I wonder if the bass was originally white and might have just been "touched up," but I have no way of telling. Everything I said is just speculation, the guy I got it from didn't have a clue about it. He said that's the condition it was in when he got it from his father years ago. Any input on this bass would be greatly appreciated!

Now the tricky part, what is it worth?

This bass reached $675 and IMO is beat to hell and in worse shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Les-Paul-Triumph-Bass-/120745641602?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1d004682

Here's mine:

headstock3.jpg

front1.jpg?t=1311294096

front2.jpg?t=1311294313

back3.jpg?t=1311294274

back1.jpg?t=1311294357

backofheadstock.jpg?t=1311294421

sidecrack1.jpg?t=1311294233

sidecrack2.jpg

case1.jpg

case3.jpg?t=1311294667

Just guessing, but in the current condition, I'm guessing it's worth about $350-$500.

However, if you knew a really good restoration shop, and they could fix the cracks, properly refinish it, and return everything else to vintage specs, it might be worth $1,200 or even more.

I'll look up the current book values tomorrow, stay tuned.

Just guessing, but in the current condition, I'm guessing it's worth about $350-$500.

However, if you knew a really good restoration shop, and they could fix the cracks, properly refinish it, and return everything else to vintage specs, it might be worth $1,200 or even more.

I'll look up the current book values tomorrow, stay tuned.

Sounds good.

Thank you!

I take it you paid a price that was "friendly" to your wallet???

Interesting project you have there. For the right price...Definitely!

Items like this never show up on my local Craigslist. Usually just cheap

guitars at so-so asking prices, and on the occasional GOOD ones, the sellers

want retail price. Bah!

Craigslist to me is like a GIANT Garage Sale, I'm only looking for BARGAINS!!!!

[biggrin][biggrin]

Congratulations on your most interesting find!!!!

Keep us updated as to your intentions and progress on bringing it

Back to Life!!!!!

Here's what the current Blue Book of Electric Guitars says:

LPTriumphBass.jpg

The 2011 Vintage Guitar Price Guide says something different - available 1971-79, with white available only 1973-74.

Excellent condition ranges from $1,500 to $1,700 in white, $1,250 to $1,550 in other colors.

Also says the Les Paul Triumph Bass was renamed from the Les Paul Bass which was available from 1970-71 in walnut finish only $1,800 to $2,200 in excellent condition.

Thanks guys! Ya like animalfarm had said, I look at craigslist as a giant garage sell as well. I guess I'm a craigslist junky. I only buy what I consider is a bargain. I'm going to take the bass to my local guitar tech and see about sealing the cracks on the neck. The output jack needs to be replaced so I'm going to start there. I'll keep you posted as I go [biggrin]

F me if that ain't the Les Paul Recording of Bass guitars, awesome pickup MDB, hope you get the repairs done ok and cherish it as much as I do my LPR, HNBD.

Have you been able to determine a manufacture date time-frame yet, you can use the numbers stamped into the pots to get a rough guide ???

I think, from my feeble memory, mine is a late '71 or early '72.

F me if that ain't the Les Paul Recording of Bass guitars, awesome pickup MDB, hope you get the repairs done ok and cherish it as much as I do my LPR, HNBD.

Have you been able to determine a manufacture date time-frame yet, you can use the numbers stamped into the pots to get a rough guide ???

I think, from my feeble memory, mine is a late '71 or early '72.

Ya I looked at the pot code and it dated it to 1970 307th day. Since the Triumph came out in 71' I'm guessing mine is a 71'. I want to take it to my guitar tech soon, how much do you think it'll cost?

Ya I looked at the pot code and it dated it to 1970 307th day. Since the Triumph came out in 71' I'm guessing mine is a 71'. I want to take it to my guitar tech soon, how much do you think it'll cost?

Truthfully, I couldn't judge, I always do my own work. I'm sure someone will be able to give you a ballpark though.

I've been jonesing for one of those for years. Seems every time one comes up, somebody beats me to it.

I've had my '69 LP Professional (forefather of the Recording) since 1973 and would love to have a matched pair, although mine is walnut.

Nice pickup. Gut that puppy repaired!

pete

Archived