Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Mustang III

neilpanda

One of my long-time friends wants to buy my little Marshall practice amp

so I thought, "what could I do with the cash?" well I thought, since Im

losing an amp, I might as well try out a new one. Ive heard a lot of good

things about the mustang, so Im going to go try one out at the store this weekend.

I remember hearing a couple guys having mustangs, so my questions, do you

like em? how are the amp models? and so on...

*sigh* I hate having GAS...

Used to have one of these it was a pretty good amp, the models in it are superb but limited, you cant ask for the world though. Has all the bells and whistles you could want on an amp and pretty fairly priced, heck you could hope they still have the one I returned with all the original labels and books :o they thought I hadn't even used it when I took it back. The faux carbon fiber wrap appealed to the car junkie in me aswell.

The Marshall JMD is similar to the Fender amp except it has tubes and digital wizardry included. I have owned one for almost a year and its price is far more than the Peavey and Fender but worth it IMO. My JMD has near 40 shows on it already. I own the 50 watt head and a older 1960A cab that is loaded with greenbacks. Great frigging tone out of this amp; I only use the noise gate for effects most of the time.

I would like one of those, but hell, Im broke, and the only reason Im getting an amp is cause im selling one [flapper]

Go for it!! You absolutely cannot beat it for the money. I have a Mustang 1 and it is one of the best modeling amps out.

will do! Im just waiting on my mate to get his business done and pay me for my old amp, then I'll get

it! I can wait the 2 weeks...

...well, maybe [flapper]

will do! Im just waiting on my mate to get his business done and pay me for my old amp, then I'll get

it! I can wait the 2 weeks...

...well, maybe [flapper]

i bought a mustang III, after getting my son a mustang I and playing with it. it's a good amp for recording too, with the USB interface and all. lots of fun and sounds really nice too. :)

I have the Mustang II and I got it for two reasons, the USB connectivity and the headphone jack. There are times I really just want to let loose, but can't in my current apartment so I plug in the headphones and drift away.

The pre-set effects on the Mustang are numerous, there's like 20 or so, but many of them are geared towards a 12 year old getting his or her first practice amp so they can wail on distortion and what not. (This is how it was explained to me at L&M)

You can edit all the presets to suit your fancy with the exception of the first 8 or so, but that's still about 12 or so customizable presets.

For what they ask for it you really can't go wrong, I totally recommend it.

The mustang III holds 99 presets, more then you will ever use I think, with a little handy foot switch that you can setup to scroll through presets, have two presets hot keyed or turn off effects on your current setting. Mine came with a copy of Ableton Live 8 Lite or whatever, dont even bother with it, its pretty crappy and REAL hard to get setup with the Mustang. Using Audacity it was pretty much plug and play. I really miss the headphone jack. By far the Fender models of there own amps are VERY delicious the Supersonic and Bassman were really fun to mess around with. The English influenced models were obviously not as superb but still very usable and flexible. I was looking at the Line6 G-DEC and Spider IV but both were considerably more money, the G-DEC had the advantage of backing tracks which was cool but retail on it was $420 and the Spider IV was about $100 more then the Mustang III did not have as many features, was only 75W compared to 100W. The guy at L&M pointed me towards the Mustang series since it was new in the market and said check out one of these, I setup on the Mustang IV which is the same as the III, I think its 150W and 2x12 instead of 100W and 1x12, I fiddled around with it for about an hour and ended up walking out with the III, the IV was just too much amp (it freaking CRANKED)

The mustang III holds 99 presets, more then you will ever use I think, with a little handy foot switch that you can setup to scroll through presets, have two presets hot keyed or turn off effects on your current setting. Mine came with a copy of Ableton Live 8 Lite or whatever, dont even bother with it, its pretty crappy and REAL hard to get setup with the Mustang. Using Audacity it was pretty much plug and play. I really miss the headphone jack. By far the Fender models of there own amps are VERY delicious the Supersonic and Bassman were really fun to mess around with. The English influenced models were obviously not as superb but still very usable and flexible. I was looking at the Line6 G-DEC and Spider IV but both were considerably more money, the G-DEC had the advantage of backing tracks which was cool but retail on it was $420 and the Spider IV was about $100 more then the Mustang III did not have as many features, was only 75W compared to 100W. The guy at L&M pointed me towards the Mustang series since it was new in the market and said check out one of these, I setup on the Mustang IV which is the same as the III, I think its 150W and 2x12 instead of 100W and 1x12, I fiddled around with it for about an hour and ended up walking out with the III, the IV was just too much amp (it freaking CRANKED)

For what it's worth I hated my Spyder III or IV as a digital amp.

For what it's worth I hated my Spyder III or IV as a digital amp.

Hahaha my buddy was saying the same thing about his Spider II then his dad gave him his ancient 1960's JVC tube amp and a early 70's 1960A, hasn't used his spider since.

The secret to these amps is not limited to the presets.

You need to download the Fender Fuse Software Supplied

with the amp. Run it thru your laptop. Then you can TWEEK any modeled amp preset that is supplied

i.e. 59 Bassman, 57 Deluxe, 57 Champ etc. In addition modeled stomp boxes, modulation,

delay and reverb have tweekable units available i.e. 63 and 65 spring units. If that

was not enough Modeled Rack Units i.e. post gain, modulation, delay and reverb are supplied

with selectable units such as Vintage Tremolo, Vibratone, Triangle Chorus etc.

and allow you to tweek them to taste. Not done yet, you go on line and can download

scores of presets Fender and other enthusiasts have came up with.(I"m running out of breath)

Also, downloadable backing tracks(i.e. Steve Vai) from Fenders FUSE Site. The Amplitube Software supplied

also has presets and a nice feature for your Tracks to practice slowly and pitch shift. Annnnd

you can use your own MP3 files in each of the FUSE and Amplitube programs to practice along with

in whole or specific licks. Wheeeew The sales people at the local music shops usually do not experiment

with their product to know just these features. I bought the Mustang 1 for the grandson and now I am buying

one for me also. Hope this helps. BUY IT!

Archived