Gibson Brands Forums

Fair Price For A "Transitional?

Murph

If I (you) found a shop with a few '08 Les Paul Standards before the new electronics, jack, ect., what would you consider paying?

The best I can figure they have an '08 serial # but not the new goodies.

So, they are basically an '07 Standard, chambered, with an '08 serial #?

I just have to wonder, should they be discounted, or should they be collectable?

My brain hurts.

Murph.

I have an 08 "old style" Standard. I love it. I haven't played the new version. My guess is that the recommendation would be in this order.

1. Traditional

2. 08 "old style" standard

3. 08 "new" standard

But you should play all three and go by what feels right. But the "new" standard is not necessarily an improvement or upgrade. It sounds like the new standard's guts are a PC board, which has some people concerned.

Collectible--I don't think so. Too many of them are made for them to appreciate. Though those who love the 60s neck might be willing to pay a little more for the old style if it has the 60s rather than 50s neck.

I also went with an '08 "old style" Standard too. For me I did it because the Premium Plus was being discontinued and I always wanted one. I must admit that I did this before trying out the Traditional or "new" Standard. The new board to me is akin to the digital speedometer of the 80's. It looks pretty cool but it just ain't the same as the analog one. Trust me I love electronics (some of the spacecraft I worked on are 1.5 million miles from Earth right now and they need good electronics!), but I feel that this sort of thing takes something away from tradition. It may be technically better but guitars should feel, look and sound like a piece of art. What makes art a true thing of beauty is the slight "flaws" in the hands that creates it IMHO. I haven't tried the Traditional either and you've piqued my interest enough to test drive one soon...

Archived