Gibson Brands Forums

A Happy Ending To A Sh*tty Story

KinksBird

In June I had all of my gear stolen (along with my whole band's) including my long time companion, a heavily customized Sheraton :

iM8zF.jpg

The musicians of Fort Worth, TX were awesome friends and threw together donations and a benefit show and started us back down the path to playing live again. After a lengthy quest for a replacement, something different but still in the same family, I finally purchased (at a steal of a price!!) a Peerless Plant made Riviera on eBay. It has Grover locking tuners, Seymour Duncan 59 custom humbuckers (not a Duncan fan AT ALL but these sound pretty good actually) and a USA switchcraft replacement:

vmT73.jpg

The only dilemma now is whether to keep these pickups or upgrade like I did with the Sheraton. I LOVED the sound of the TV Jones I had in the Sheraton but the look isn't as classic. Anyone got a suggestion for something similar in sound but a more traditional look??

(sorry for the blurriness of the pics)

Shame to hear that your stuff got stolen. You'd think that a guitar as unique as that would turn up eventually.

I hope you can bond with your Riviera to make up for it. I recently bought a 97 peerless made Riviera and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

Would you consider putting Gibson P94s in it? Kinda like a cherry Nick Valensi.

Add a black pickguard and I guarantee you'll never see another one like it.

I have a natural Peerless Riv that has been sitting patiently in its case waiting for this mod.

Yea, Clark I know. The Sheraton also had two "star dowels" where the original bridge was and so is the only one ON THE PLANET that looks like that, but nothing so far.

P94s are cool but I'd get the traditional looking one. I am just fond of the white guard and truss rod cover. But you might've just put me onto what I want to put in it!

Kinksbird, I am so sorry about the loss and theft of your guitars and equipment..........

I hope you get insurance for replacement cost for any future problems........

Theft of music gear needs to be a PRIORITY for law enforcement......

I played for years.....Pro, and semi pro....I did not know I'm a functional autistic until a few years back; This made me

vulnerable without understanding why; Forgive the slight thread hijack....I hate thieves.....I've had tons of gear stolen...

I'm glad you replaced your guitar..................

The only dilemma now is whether to keep these pickups or upgrade like I did with the Sheraton. I LOVED the sound of the TV Jones I had in the Sheraton but the look isn't as classic. Anyone got a suggestion for something similar in sound but a more traditional look??

Difficult decision. Some time ago I had to make the same decision: Keep the classic look, or go for the modifications and make the guitar look completely different (and worse in case the mods don't work out). I went for the mods. If I ever want the Rivera in all its original beauty, I can get a second one and leave it as is. At the end the sound of the Gretsch Filtertron HS pickups was more important to me than the classic look. And once I started, I changed the knobs, tuning machines and pickguard as well, and added a Bigsby B7 and a roller bridge. The result doesn't look too bad I guess:

rivieramod.jpg

Btw.: Your modified Sheraton doesn't look original as well, but it was a beauty on its own! My suggestion is to go with anything you feel comfortable with. What is a guitar worth that has a classic look, but doesn't sound and play great in your opinion? And if you liked the sound of the TV Jones, you will miss it. At least from my experience there's no other pickup in classic humbucker look that can fully replace the TV Jones. TV Jones makes that humbucker mount pickups with closed pickup cover. The pickups however have 12 pole piece screws instead 6, otherwise they look very classic: TV Jones Humbucker Mount

Tough break on the theft of your gear KB, our instruments usually hold such personal attachments to us, glad to hear you're slowly getting it back together, best of luck to you in that endeavor, hope it works out well for you.

Thanks for the well wishes Damian and Rastus, and really the lot of you!

Long Man: I think you're totally right. There really is nothing that can replace or sound as good as TV Jones, so that's what I'm going to do. Save for a couple of TV Classic or Classic Plus and just get them in the humbucker mount this time, doesn't look wildly different. And my desire to stay close to original colors and aesthetics is just for my taste, not a collector or anything.

• 1 month later...

Archived