Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best way

EvoRider

I just bought a epiphone g-400 from GC about 3 weeks ago and the only problem i have with the guitar is it is very neck heavy. What is the best way to correct this problem or is it someting i have to live with? I would rather find a good way to fix without voiding my warrenty... Does the Gibson sg have the same problem?

I just bought a epiphone g-400 from GC about 3 weeks ago and the only problem i have with the guitar is it is very neck heavy. What is the best way to correct this problem or is it someting i have to live with?

I fear you have to live with that. Depending on what tuning machines are built in, you may try to change them for more light weight ones. But I don't know if this will bring a noticeable advantage, or if it even voids your warranty. Another thing that could help is wide strap, that holds the guitar in the right position.

I would rather find a good way to fix without voiding my warrenty... Does the Gibson sg have the same problem?

All SGs tend to have that problem, depending on the tuning machines and the body weight. Its a matter of the guitars dimensions: A relatively thin and light body together with a relatively long neck. Les Pauls for example do not have that problem because the neck is set deeper into the body, and the body is thicker and has more weight. So the Les Paul has a higher overall weight compared to the SG, but is better balanced.

Btw. this is exactly the reason why I never purchased a SG. I don't like the headstock is permanently diving when I don't fix the neck.

Get a good suede leather strap..........

Yep, [thumbup] I use Levy's 2 1/2" suede straps on all my guitars, but they really help on the headstock heavy guitars. Not endorsing Levy's in particular, just a wide suede strap. YMMV.

Archived