Gibson Brands Forums

Which Humbuckers? Too many to choose from

newlife15

Hello all,

This topic seems to never go away, but most of us like swapping out Epi pickups sooner or later. I have a DOT that I want to upgrade and though I know that pickups are a subjective subject I just finished listening to a few models that I am interested in on you tube.

My finalists due to a budget that runs about 100.00 is as follows:

GFS professional Series Alnico II Humbuckers with Black Case Neck and bridge Pickups 80.00

Stewmac Parsons street Humbuckers Gold covers 119.00

Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Neck pickup SH-55 105.00

I like warm neck pickups with clarity in the mids and lower ends and sparkle on the bridge pickup.

Well, here are the contenders.

Let me know what you all think. I appreciate any input.....

Thanks

Newlife15

As you have rightly said, pickup choice can be a very subjective topic. But, I feel that the semi's suit classic lower output pickups like classic 57's or similar. There is no real way to tell what a pickup truly sounds like by looking at the specs, but we can make some broad and sweeping generalisations, like¸ the higher the dc resistance the hotter the pickup, or Ceramic magnets have a sharper sound but will nicely handle bucket loads of distortion where alnico v will have a warmer more rounded sound.

Personally i would put in a set of either...Wilkinson WVC humbuckers, the bridge is a little on the hot side but not overkill, and put in coil taps. OR, a set of P94s, (P90s in a humbucker size case).

I put a set of GFS Vintage '59s in my Dot and Sherry and am very happy with them. I get an overall brighter sound from them out of my Sherry as compared to my Dot. The neck pups are warm and not muddy and the bridge pups have a sparkle to them. Definitely not as over bearingly bright as the stock bridge pups.

I did put a set of GFS Classic IIs in another guitar of mine that I still have, and though they are okay, I like the Vintage '59s better. They have a little more output.

I'm sure the Seth Lovers would be a good choice too, or '57 Classics. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

I would definitely replace all of the electronics and wiring at the same time.

The GFS and Seth Lovers would be fine......Do note that three have mentioned the Gibby Classic 57s.........

I try to put those in as many of my guitars as possible.......The price on those rise and fall......When they are at

99 bucks each, that's a good price.........A member here was asking your same question some time back.................

He finally did go with my recommendation to use '57s as an Epi Dot upgrade.....He was more than thrilled with

the result.............................

Archived