Gibson Brands Forums

Changes to Pedalboard Plans!!!!

kaleb

So, I decided to keep using my Boss tuner instead of getting a Polytune. A tuners a tuner. It works right! And it makes a good buffer. And instead of a Direct Drive, I think im goin for an OCD. Its similar to the Barber, but more natural sounding. And it has a better gain sweep. The Direct Drive even on its lowest drive setting is pretty gainy. I just want something to boost my AC/DC tone into shred territory and boost gain for strats. And it seems like a better companion to the Maxon, IMO. It makes a good clean boost AS WELL as a Marshall-in-a-box. And I decided to add a Boss DD-20 Giga Delay to the bunch ( I like it better than the Nova delay. Has more natural repeats, IMO ). I like the Tape settings on it. AND I'll probably just get a Pedaltrain PT-1-HC instead of the PT-2. I don't need that much space. I'll keep the wah on the right side. Tuner, OCD, and OD-9 will go on bottom row. I'll put the GNI chorus and the DD-20 on the top row. I AM SOOOO EXCITED.

So, I decided to keep using my Boss tuner instead of getting a Polytune. A tuners a tuner. It works right! And it makes a good buffer. And instead of a Direct Drive, I think im goin for an OCD. Its similar to the Barber, but more natural sounding. And it has a better gain sweep. The Direct Drive even on its lowest drive setting is pretty gainy. I just want something to boost my AC/DC tone into shred territory and boost gain for strats. And it seems like a better companion to the Maxon, IMO. It makes a good clean boost AS WELL as a Marshall-in-a-box. And I decided to add a Boss DD-20 Giga Delay to the bunch ( I like it better than the Nova delay. Has more natural repeats, IMO ). I like the Tape settings on it. AND I'll probably just get a Pedaltrain PT-1-HC instead of the PT-2. I don't need that much space. I'll keep the wah on the right side. Tuner, OCD, and OD-9 will go on bottom row. I'll put the GNI chorus and the DD-20 on the top row. I AM SOOOO EXCITED.

Right on!

I do have one criticism with your choice of tuner and where it is in the chain. If you are OK with a less granular tuner and one that is a buffer pedal, please do you & your guitar a favor and put it after your dirt pedals. You'll get the smoothness of having your OD pedals be an extension of your pickups. But, hey, it's your pedal board. Do as you please.

I prefer keeping the tuner as early in the chain as possible. The only thing before it is the wah. THAT is an extention of my pickups. Dirt boxes are more like extentions of my amp. Boss pedals don't suck that much tone. I like the idea of having three true bypass pedals ( OCD, OD-9, and GNI chorus ) and three buffered pedals ( Crybaby 535q, tuner, DD-20 ). I know its gonna be good. Dub, I know that the El Capistan destroys everything else, but I like that you can change presets on the DD-20 on the fly. It be nice to have a standard DD-3 type delay, long spacey delay, slapback, murky DM-2 style delay, modulatey Deluxe Memory Man type echos, and some Space Echo style tape delay in one box. I don't use delay as a rhythmic effect, I just use it to add juice and space to the tone, or if I want slapback. The DD-20 seems perfect for me. But you and Fred would like something special like the El Capistan because it suits your style. Some guys like Searcy are fine with Line 6 digital delays. Some swear by the Deluxe Memory Man. And guys like Andy from PGS won't settle for anything other than an Echoplex. Its just my preference.

You can change presets on the el cap too haha

nah I'm just kidding go for whatever you want man. I'm just throwing some suggestions out there.

I think the El Cap is definately for someone who really likes delay. Not that the El Cap doesn't excel at the subtle stuff, but if you're going to set the mix back and just use it for a subtle echo then you can get by with just about any delay. I guess a DD-20 would be good for that because like you said you can switch through presets and all that and it sounds pretty good.

You can change presets on the el cap too haha

nah I'm just kidding go for whatever you want man. I'm just throwing some suggestions out there.

I think the El Cap is definately for someone who really likes delay. Not that the El Cap doesn't excel at the subtle stuff, but if you're going to set the mix back and just use it for a subtle echo then you can get by with just about any delay. I guess a DD-20 would be good for that because like you said you can switch through presets and all that and it sounds pretty good.

Ya. I do like the Empress Superdelay. Was considering it until I saw how much it is! The DD-20 is good price/feature/sound wise. The TC Nova is in the same range, but it sounds too 80's rackmount Steve Lukather-style delay if ya catch my flow ( after all it is based off the 2290 ). I see DD-20s on everyone's board. I'm just a rocker ( AC/DC with Zep and Gary Moore style licks thrown in ). I could plug straight into my amp and still do my show. But I need a tuner, wah is important, like some delay, like some chorus ( for a little soul-AND IT MUST BE ANALOG!!! ), and of course I love my overdrive boxes ( always a TS-style stomp with an OCD-style stomp in front--I CANT DECIDE BETWEEN THE OCD AND THE DIRECT DRIVE. ). So my pedal vision is pretty straightforward. I believe that pedals should just color and add to the tone and let MY FINGERS do the talkin', not take over the tone and the music. It works for very experimental or weird sounds, but I just like to wail. Creating sound-on-sound delays with a DL4 and using an MXR Blue Box and a Phase 90 like Oz Noy ( I dont think he uses a Blue Box--just an example ) is not my thing. Maybe I should Shut Up and Play My Guitar!!!!

Haha yeah I wouldn't mind having a Super Delay. Empress makes awesome pedals. I had one and the wiring was really cool. I'm gonna try to copy that wiring style in my builds haha

I just wrote an incredibly long account of the virtues of analog and digital chorus, but I'll spare you haha.

Haha yeah I wouldn't mind having a Super Delay. Empress makes awesome pedals. I had one and the wiring was really cool. I'm gonna try to copy that wiring style in my builds haha

I just wrote an incredibly long account of the virtues of analog and digital chorus, but I'll spare you haha.

HA!!! I hate digital chorus. Too sterile and pristine. Some people like that though. I like it when it oscilates and distorts. Its more natural, almost like a Vibe with extended delay time and no phase shift. Im not into over-the-top phasing and flanging. I prefer chorus and vibe. It seems like people always try to make a phaser sound like a Uni-Vibe, or make a flanger do chorus. I was using my AF-2 as a chorus ( so does Mr. Gilbert, actually ), but I figured, why use this big clunky flanger as a chorus when I have a decent analog chorus pedal ( its a late 80s Dod FX65--very nice, except its a little bright and it kinda boosts volume ) thats smaller, less complicated, and makes a better chorus ( duh ). I was jammin' on it yesterday and it just oozes Rush, Police, and Pat Travers ( he used his A/DA Flangers as choruses too ). And you can do Machine Gun, Breathe, and Bridge of Sighs on it too! Chorus can take you along way, my dear Dub....( seriously. Ask Alex Lifeson, Andy Summers, and Zakk Wylde. ) I wanna start building pedals aswell. And I wanna start doing my own guitar work ( set ups, pickup/electronics swaps, hardware swaps, refrets, etc. ), as where I live, there is no guitar store for 80 miles ( theres a couple music stores, but they suck. Its all used Silvertones, Ibanezes, and Squiers. None of em' know how to set up guitars. In this town you do your own work! ). I wonder if I could build the perfect wah....

Well there are good digital chorus pedals out there, I had one. And trust me it sounded GOOD.. But I kinda agree in a way. My digital chorus sounded very transparent and perfect. It did exactly what it was supposed to and didn't "color" the sound. My Cosmichorus is a much more flawed machine, but the flaws add a certain character that I really love and prefer.

The digital chorus I had was more usable for some applications because the vibrato was so transparent, but overall I prefer the character that my Cosmichorus adds on the vibrato. I guess what I'm saying is that each have their strengths and weaknesses, but over all I prefer analog chorus.

Of course not all analog chorus pedals are good. As a matter of fact, I think most of them totally suck and I'd take my good digital chorus over most.. But a real good analog chorus can't be beat IMO.

Most digital chorus pedals sound like total fake, cheesey garbage. But there are good ones out there.

What don't you like about the wahs that you've used?

Well there are good digital chorus pedals out there, I had one. And trust me it sounded GOOD.. But I kinda agree in a way. My digital chorus sounded very transparent and perfect. It did exactly what it was supposed to and didn't "color" the sound. My Cosmichorus is a much more flawed machine, but the flaws add a certain character that I really love and prefer.

The digital chorus I had was more usable for some applications because the vibrato was so transparent, but overall I prefer the character that my Cosmichorus adds on the vibrato. I guess what I'm saying is that each have their strengths and weaknesses, but over all I prefer analog chorus.

Of course not all analog chorus pedals are good. As a matter of fact, I think most of them totally suck and I'd take my good digital chorus over most.. But a real good analog chorus can't be beat IMO.

Most digital chorus pedals sound like total fake, cheesey garbage. But there are good ones out there.

What don't you like about the wahs that you've used?

For me character is the magic word! You're right, not all analog chs are good. The new Boss choruses ( namely the CE-5 ) sound better than some analogs ( like I think they're more lush than MXR's choruses ), as does the Hardwire chorus. BBD circuits win for me tho

ugh. My favorites are the GNI ASDC, and the Maxon CS-550 ( the Maxon is starting to grow on me. I like that the knobs are HUGE. I wonder if the rubber MXR knob covers would fit? Makers should start making expression pedal inputs on choruses. ). I've always loved the original Ibanez CS-9 as well. But we all know the CE-1 is KING!!!! Its not worth the noise and extreme tone suck though, IMO. The CE-2 had a nice jangle to it. I like the wahs I've used, but the special recipe hasn't been made. ( red fasel, smooth sweep, no low-end loss yet vocal, nice balance between lows-highs-mids---kind of like a three way between a Crybaby, Vox, and RMC ). There are many cool sounds that haven't been made with the wah. I like a nice half-cocked wah all the time!

Archived