Gibson Brands Forums

Loose Knobs?

Murph

My 5/6 week old ES339 (yea I know, there are more readers here) volume knob was so loose last night on it's 5th gig it was about to fall off. Bridge. Actually the tone on the neck is a little loose.

What's a solution that won't be TOO permanent?

Is this common on Les Pauls? Hell it's the same tophats, eh?

What do you all do?

Thanks.

Murph.

My 5/6 week old ES339 (yea I know' date=' there are more readers here) volume knob was so loose last night on it's 5th gig it was about to fall off. Bridge. Actually the tone on the neck is a little loose.

What's a solution that won't be TOO permanent?

Is this common on Les Pauls? Hell it's the same tophats, eh?

What do you all do?

Thanks.

Murph.[/quote']

Hey Murph, So how do you like gigging with the 339? What kind of reaction do you get from people and other players?

I'd be careful with the screwdriver, I've always just folded paper up and wedged it in the split, or some paper over the knob and force the knob on over the paper. If all else fails, get new pots or knobs (if the knobs are the problem), neither are that expensive and it's an easy fix ...

I (today) just used some teflon tape. Fixed it. For now. I'm not about to start spreading the freakin' shaft on a guitar that is this new, Custom shop, ect.

I have a 1961 twin pickup (double cut) Melody Maker that I learned on in the ( none of your damned business) and the knobs are tighter. I'm actually toying with the idea of swappin' em' out.

Hey DaveInSpain....

I'm a bar gigger in Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky. The response is great. People (the crowd) don't know what is is, but they know it looks good. Whannabee's think it's the bomb, because the shape messes with their heads.

Real players that are NOT informed, think it's a, you know, and it get's respect.

As for me. I'll never go back to a solid guitar. I'm sorry this is the Les Paul section. The sustain and depth of this guitar is beyond compare. The size is perfect, the 57's KILL, the 30/60 neck is great for my speed stuff. I use a Mesa Boogie Blue Angel 1;12 combo on a road case with a Tube Screamer TS9.

The "Custom Shop" case, logo on the back of the neck, ect., gives it even more class.

My only b!tch is gonna be the ABR-1. If it gives me any more rattle problems, it's going in the dumpster. This guitar is new, it's not a freakin' re-issue. I haven't gigged it enough to have much of a problem yet, but I hate the idea of having to go AFTERMARKET to get a decent bridge that doesn't rattle on a Custom Shop guitar that IS NOT A RE-ISSUE.

If Gibson can engineer a freakin' Robot guitar that will tune itself, YOU WOULD THINK THEY COULD ENGINEER AN ABR-1 THAT DOESN'T RATTLE.

Sorry. Didn't mean to raise my voice.

Murph.

I've done the spread the shaft with the screwdriver trick on my LP. Works fine and doesn't hurt anything. No big deal.

Not so quick w/ the screwdriver! I tried this on my Supreme and the shaft broke before it bent.

Try swapping a pot on a Supreme!

Archived