Gibson Brands Forums

Review - Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Guitar: 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard, ebony finish - QingDao factory product

Price: EUR 360 (bundled with a cheap gigbag; now much cheaper)

Features:

Mahogany body with a maple top

Set mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard

1-ply body and neck binding

Covered Alnico V (classic) humbuckers

Grover kidney tuners

Tune-o-matic bridge/stopbar tailpiece

22 medium-jumbo frets

Trapezoid fretboard inlays

Amber bell knobs, 2 tone, 2 volume

3-way selector switch

24,75" scale

1,68" plastic nut

Action, fit, finish [8/10]:

Out of the box the action was a bit low, lots of fret buzz on the lower frets. The neck was straight, and raising the bridge solved the problem completely. The pickguard was poorly cut in the place where it meets the fretboard by the neck. A slight 1-cm scratch on the finish going from the pg bracket on the side. Removing the pg showed a nasty finish flaw in the place pg meets the fretboard by the neck - looks like they tried to screw it too tighly to the body, and that caused the crookedness on the poly. The stopbar had a bit of corrosion already.

The intonation was a bit off, but it wasn't a problem to intonate.

Due to the glossy black finish fingers and hands leave visible prints on the guitar, so they need to be rubbed away after every use. The glossy poly neck has never been a problem for me, my fretting hand slides as comfortable as it should so that I do not pay attention to that.

The headstock doesn't have much poly on it and shows some nice grain.

Overall - build quality was good, but not splendid due to the minor issues.

Sound [7/10]:

The pickups sound too much on the bass side, so I rolled up both tone knobs to 10 and it always stays this way. Both neck and bridge pickups are quite hot, and drive the clean channel of the amp nicely for some bluesy tones. Maybe I would prefer a bit less hot pickups, but honestly speaking rolling down the volume of both cleans them up considerably (I just don't like touching the knobs too much - it messes with my head:) )

The neck pickup is a bit dull and muddy for a clean sound to my mind (almost never use it alone), while the bridge pickup provides me with nice overdriven rhythm tones for the kind of music I play (using a Little Big Muff through the clean channel of Fender Deville).

Overall - didn't blow my mind, but is perfectly good for a guitar in that price range.

Reliability and durability [7/10]:

OK, here's the main issue with the guitar for me. The finish stays good, the sound stays consistent, nothing falls off. The neck is straight and didn't seem to show any reaction to the seasonal changes (I keep it in a case). Though overall I didn't have any major problems, there are some issues that bug me.

Bridge: one of the saddle screws (G) is crooked, so adjusting intonation caused the retaining wire to bend out. Straight after that I started experiencing problems with the G string tuning. Maybe a coincidence and it's not the fault, but I don't tend to blame the Grover tuners.

Fretwear: depends from fret to fret, but I've had instances when I literally took some shavings off a fret while binding a string (which scared me, as refretting a new guitar with neck binding was not in my plans). However, the overall wear is not major, but I've had the git for just a year by now.

Selector switch: I have the guitar which had been produced before the quality of these was improved, so in about half a year after the purchase I started experiencing problems with the switch. Occasionally the neck pickups might not turn on, but that is solved with clicking the swith up and down couple of times. As I don't use the neck pickup alone anyway and other two positions work fine, I didn't bother about it much.

Chrome hardware: it corrodes. The Grover tuners stay fine, everything else corrodes.

Impressions [9/10]:

Okay, I may have sounded harsh and negative, but in the end the Les Paul serves the purpose pretty well. The guitar was almost perfectly playable out of the box. I have to rub away the fingerprints on the finish and some grease off the fretboard, which is annoying, but guitars need this kind of care and love anyway. I'm not planning to sell it, but I'm planning to change the pickups to Gibson 57 Classics (but only after I get all the effect pedals I need) and the selector switch to Switchcraft. I like the looks of it and mostly I like the sound of it, so I will not be surprised if it stays my main guitar for a long time even when I'll have the money to afford a Gibson or something.

Only 1 pic really:

epilpstdeb.jpg

This is the very model I have been seriously thinking of purchasing. Your review, although very thorough and honest, has given me a little apprehension. Not sure what to do. To make my decision even more difficult, I find out that the model is now discontinued and would therefore have to get my you-know-what in gear before the local stores run out. I very much appreciate your honest review in light of many (not on this board mind you) who have given it such outstanding 5 star reviews. All of which, I might ad, where on Guitar Center's web site. Perhaps reason for doubt? Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again for your review. I so love this board. Awesome!!!!!

A very honest review Alex, thanks for taking the time to post it, cheers.

Agreed! Greatly Appreciated that you took the time to write a thorough

Review. And as "N-T-L" has indicated... [scared]!!!

Not ALL reviews will be "+10!!! [thumbup] ". And you told us what YOU

thought about the LP Standard that you own, and yet there must be something

about it, because you close out your review with:

" I like the looks of it and mostly I like the sound of it, so I will not be surprised if it stays my main guitar for a long time even when I'll have the money to afford a Gibson ...".

This is the very model I have been seriously thinking of purchasing. Your review, although very thorough and honest, has given me a little apprehension. Not sure what to do.

Go to the shop and play the guitar. Then play another more sophisticated Epiphone model, e.g. the Les Paul Tribute model. These are a bit more expensive, but maybe offer the better value. Then play a premium Les Paul, e.g. a Gibson custom shop model. Experience for yourself what the difference is between a € 350,- and a €3500,- guitar.

I very much appreciate your honest review in light of many (not on this board mind you) who have given it such outstanding 5 star reviews. All of which, I might ad, where on Guitar Center's web site. Perhaps reason for doubt? Decisions, decisions!

You always should doubt other peoples assessments. What is right for anybody else isn't necessarily right for you. And what upsets other people does not necessarily bother you. An assessment is always dependent on the personal experience and requirements. Somebody who steps up from e.g. an Epiphone Special II to an Epiphone Les Paul Standard most likely will feel a vast improvement. Another user that usually plays a high end Gibson custom shop Les Paul may assess the Epiphone as a piece of crap. Another thing is that reviews on shop web sites are often done in the first enthusiasm after purchasing the guitar.

After using it for 6 or 12 month it will have lost some of its shininess (sometimes literally). Then all the small disabilities show up: The pickups may not sound as bright and distinctive as you would expect, the tuning machines may not work 100% accurate, the bridge might buzz and rattle every now and then, you may hear slight fret buzz here and there because the fret job isn't 100% accurate, the pickup switch might start to get dropouts, the plating often rubs off the metal hardware, you might find minor flaws in the finish when you take the time to search for them. A couple of possible minor annoyances, that do not make the guitar useless at all, but that dampen the enthusiasm. So after a year your assessment might read 7/10, and not 10/10 as you would have given the day you purchased the guitar.

I have experienced all the things mentioned above with my 2007 Qingdao Les Paul Custom "Black Beauty", and I fully agree with the review. Over time my assessment changed from "Wow!" on the first day to "OK, adequate to the price I paid, but not more" today. Then I started to upgrade the guitar. Put on Gibson tuning machines, Gibson pickups, a TonePros Bridge, a Tusk nut, a Switchcraft pickup switch, and got the frets dressed by a professional guitar tech. That approximately doubled the overall price of the guitar, but didn't increase its value when selling it used. I would never do this again. The guitar now plays as I expect it to do, but I should have saved my money and have bought a better guitar right away. You cannot make a Porsche Cayenne from a Volkswagen Touareg, even if they look pretty similar from a distance.

You cannot make a Porsche Cayenne from a Volkswagen Touareg, even if they look pretty similar from a distance.

I totally disagree, I can get a $200 - $300 guitar, do a full re-fit (nut, bridge, pups, wiring, tuners and a decent set-up) so total cost is about $500 and it'll play as good as any Gibby, custom shop or not. I have 6 Gibsons and I'd put one of my $500 marvels up against any of them, anytime.

A very honest review Alex, thanks for taking the time to post it, cheers.

I tried to be as honest as possible on this one. Got fed up with some Ultimate-Guitar-type 10/10 reviews which are often written by people who play their guitars through 15-watt solid-state amps which do not show the guitar's true potential anyway (I sound arrogant, don't I? For clarification - the Deville is not mine, I play through a Zoom G2Nu in headphones at home). When I was choosing my guitar, I read tonns of reviews, but found them useless, as these praised basically anything from 200$ up. Luckily, there was an Epi LP Standard in my local music store - I picked it up and compared with other humbucker-equipped gits in the same price range, and that made my choice. Having said that, ...

This is the very model I have been seriously thinking of purchasing. Your review, although very thorough and honest, has given me a little apprehension. Not sure what to do. To make my decision even more difficult, I find out that the model is now discontinued and would therefore have to get my you-know-what in gear before the local stores run out. I very much appreciate your honest review in light of many (not on this board mind you) who have given it such outstanding 5 star reviews. All of which, I might ad, where on Guitar Center's web site. Perhaps reason for doubt? Decisions, decisions!

Thanks again for your review. I so love this board. Awesome!!!!!

... - yes, you have to play the guitar before you buy it, as LongMan mentioned (not always necessarily the ONE you buy, just the same model). My review may be honest, but I cannot guarantee reviews of the alternatives are. What may be "a bit too hot" for me might be "not hot enough" for you. Besides, the sound I get on the Fender Hot Rod Deville III 212 will be drastically different from the sound you may get on a, say, Marshall DSL401. I personally like the British sound better than the American, I hate the drive channel on the Deville, but there's really not much I can choose from. Once again, the Epi LP Standard is a fine guitar, even considering the flaws mine has. The Gibby sounds better, but have I not bought the Epi and continued saving for a Gibby I wouldn't have been playing for over a year now, and God only knows for how much longer.

Agreed! Greatly Appreciated that you took the time to write a thorough

Review. And as "N-T-L" has indicated... [scared]!!!

Not ALL reviews will be "+10!!! [thumbup] ". And you told us what YOU

thought about the LP Standard that you own, and yet there must be something

about it, because you close out your review with:

" I like the looks of it and mostly I like the sound of it, so I will not be surprised if it stays my main guitar for a long time even when I'll have the money to afford a Gibson ...".

We tend to forgive some bad habits our loved ones have, don't we? :rolleyes:

I totally disagree, I can get a $200 - $300 guitar, do a full re-fit (nut, bridge, pups, wiring, tuners and a decent set-up) so total cost is about $500 and it'll play as good as any Gibby, custom shop or not. I have 6 Gibsons and I'd put one of my $500 marvels up against any of them, anytime.

So as I already did the re-fit, this means I don't have to worry any longer about the Gibson 57 Les Paul Custom? Great, this saves me at least 3500,- € [smile] (which I couldn't afford anyway)

What I WOULD like to see are more than one review of the SAME guitar,

by different people, of course. I'll fit them in. This would allow more than one

viewpoint of a given brand/Model.

As it is, We ARE starting to collect a decent beginning of reviews in the Lounge Guitar/Gear

review thread, so many in the Epi/Gibson Electrics section, that I now have entertain the thought

of "Sub-Categorizing" them into "Semi-Hollowbody, Solid Body, Vintage, What-a-Body!" to start a seperation

so a bit of organization develops.

I thought perhaps the idea of reviews had begun to fail, but see that "y'all" come through

unexpectedly, and the reviews ARE great to read... As it says at the TOP of the thread -

"REAL Facts from REAL People". The facts may be at odds, depending on the tastes of the reviewer.

SO be it. [biggrin]

• 1 year later...

I agree with the review, except mine didn't have any real flaws on the build and my action was VERY high when I bought it. Luckily, I bought it from a local music store and they fixed it for me before I even left the building.

This is actually one of my practice/jam guitars. I use it when I know there's a good chance that it can be dropped at a rough jam session with friends (luckily that hasn't happened yet). I have noticied that it can take a beating though. Plenty of times we'll be rockin out and I might bump the headstock against something (even the bass player himself) or somebody else might bump into it. A few bumps and brusies later, it still plays great though.

It's not my absolute favorite guitar that I own, but I do love it to death. I'd recommend the guitar, especially if you know that band practice can sometimes can get pretty rough haha

Archived