Gibson Brands Forums

LP Tribute Plus OUT (In The UK)

OK GOT TO REVIEW ONE [thumbup]

First off I'll confirm the specs

This is a F###### series type les paul (Finished in the USA)

C (1959) neck

57 GIBSON pickups

Switchcraft toggle & jack

single coil taped on both pickups

LOCKING grover tuners.

Includes the case

Ok onto the important stuff if you already own a 59/60 or Tribute you should know what your getting a VERY SOLID les paul with all the good stuff put inside

The PLUS's bonus feature is the coil tapping for both humbuckers these give your les paul a brighter tone similiar to a single coil guitar

I did find tho that coil tapping either pickup produced a similiar tone, and when both where tapped it was slightly brighter.

Its not as bright as a "Peter Green" but it was nice

Play wise it was a breeze to play and neck was nice and fluid.

But all in all it played very nicely and you can definately tell more effort has gone into creating a premium instrument

What is this ?

Edit

BTW,

It has a 1960s slim-taper neck

Its has a "GIBSON" style headstock stamp With eg F123456 serial, from what I understand the Epi's with Gibson/switchcraft hardwear are finished off in the USA (Bodies produced & sprayed in China first)

It was definately a D neck, yes the V3 1960 is a C neck but the V1 is a D

I don't even understand what this is about anymore. Is this about the Tribute Plus or the 1960 LP that comes in 2 versions??? [confused]

The Tribute Plus doesn't have a "V1" and "V3" option (does it???) It has a "1960's SlimTaper™; D profile" neck according to Epiphone.

Your understanding about the stamped serials starting with F 3.... is wrong [-X

they are China made

and the V1 has a 50s round shaped 'baseball' neck

and the V3 has a 60s D-shaped 'slim-taper' neck

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=1970

Please do some more research........ #-o

There might be people out who believe what you are telling here :-k

This kind of misinformation doesn't help anybody [-(

prove it - or stop it please.gif

Dang, Pete. Slightly maybe just a little bit to harsh maybe perhaps.

Get your facts straight and stop talking about me in your posts!!! Coil splitting would obviously have nothing to do with replicating the sound of my famous modification!!

Hi Peter, welcome to the forums, great bunch of geet geeks around here, sure hope you like the place, you might be able to dispel a few myths too.

Hi Peter, welcome to the forums, great bunch of geet geeks around here, sure hope you like the place, you might be able to dispel a few myths too.

Thanks for the kind welcome RaSTuS. I've been an Epi fan for a long, long time.

BTW, sorry to all that my first post was a bit negative, but rubbish is rubbish and I just have an old habit of pointing it out when I see it.

Cheers,

PG

Thanks for the kind welcome RaSTuS. I've been an Epi fan for a long, long time.

BTW, sorry to all that my first post was a bit negative, but rubbish is rubbish and I just have an old habit of pointing it out when I see it.

Cheers,

PG

Nothing wrong with "pointing out rubbish" LOL. Welcome to the forum PG.

So i mixed up a C & D profile neck (thinking D was the fatter one) ](*,)

Seriously, enough with the rippin, I'm trying to be helpful and social and all im getting is SHOT DOWN [crying]

Ok to sort out this confusion and all the guitar is the 2nd Generation "TRIBUTE" Les Paul this time called a "TRIBUTE PLUS"

It has the FAT baseball neck found on a 59 Les Paul

I'm well aware that a peter green (Reversed magnet) is a completely different mod to coil tapping (My "shown" guitar is a Peter Green mod) but they produce bright Fender tones so that was my reason for the referal.

Regarding the USA thing I only repeat what I heard and till that post I wasn't aware of it being any different.

P.S. Sorry for the cock ups I am trying to sort it out... [crying]

So i mixed up a C & D profile neck (thinking D was the fatter one) ](*,)

Seriously, enough with the rippin, I'm trying to be helpful and social and all im getting is SHOT DOWN [thumbdn]

Don't feel that way. You actually played it a little and reported your REAL life experience, and shared it. That is pretty cool. Not to mention you saw them available and reported that as well.

I am a little confused about the neck shape terms here with this. Perhaps it is an Epi thing.

In MOST cases, when someone refers to a "D" shaped neck it means a DEEP cut neck, and thicker than a "C" shape neck. Most people using this term would describe a 60's slimmer neck of a Gibson as a "C" rather than a "D".

With fender, it gets a little confusing as there was an A,B,C,D spec referring to the neck width, but even still, most use the terms "C", "D", and "V" to describe the shape.

Perhaps there is some terms regarding these letters used for Epi that is not common to most guitars?

I am a little confused about the neck shape terms here with this. Perhaps it is an Epi thing.

In MOST cases, when someone refers to a "D" shaped neck it means a DEEP cut neck, and thicker than a "C" shape neck. Most people using this term would describe a 60's slimmer neck of a Gibson as a "C" rather than a "D".

I agree with this completely! Very confusing ...

I just brought home a new Les Paul today (more on that later ... once I stop playing enough to snap a few pics) that Epiphone claims to have a D profile neck. This is, by far the chunkiest neck profile of any of the seven Les Pauls I now own. Not a "baseball bat", mind you ... but it really fills the hand.

And don't get me started on Epiphone's "consistantly inconsistant" guitar production. They make a great instrument, but if you think that "if you've played one example, you've played them all", your bound to be in for a surprise or two! Ask two guys that have played two different examples of any Epiphone guitar. One will describe the neck as "slim", while the other will describe it as a "Louisville Slugger" ... and chances are that BOTH will be right!

Jim

I'm well aware that a peter green (Reversed magnet) is a completely different mod to coil tapping (My "shown" guitar is a Peter Green mod) but they produce bright Fender tones so that was my reason for the referal.

These guitars don't have coil-tapping, they have coil-splitting, there's a huge difference. Why not use Fender tones to describe the brighter sounds, everyone knows what your talking about, Peter Green isn't as well known and the comparison with him is spurious at best.

If you are correct - than Epiphone doing it wrong

I did check it in my hand and also with the clerk their (Who owns a Jimmy Page #2)

I'll just say that, if I can be corrected by someone else that has also held one thats fine.

Epi do make mistakes sometimes the 70's blackback for example should have had an Ebony fretboard but instead was a rosewood one! #-o

These guitars don't have coil-tapping, they have coil-splitting, there's a huge difference. Why not use Fender tones to describe the brighter sounds, everyone knows what your talking about, Peter Green isn't as well known and the comparison with him is spurious at best.

Ok to be clear to everyone here are the defintions

COIL TAP

"A magnetic pickup can be coil-tapped to reduce the number of windings on the pickup, making it "smoother", or less sensitive"

COIL SPLITTING

"A humbucker pickup is electrically equivalent two single-coil pickups wired together in series. Coil splitting involves shorting one of the coils to ground, essentially turning the humbucker into a single-coil pickup (not a perfect replica, though, as the magnetic circuits of the two pickup types are different). This is usually done with a DPDT switch, but can also be done with a push-pull pot. Some manufacturers have used a pot to vary the amount of signal shorted to ground from one coil, thus producing a range of tones between a humbucker and a single-coil. Coil splitting results in a sound that's brighter and has less output than a full humbucker. It also eliminates the humbucker's noise-cancelling properties. This modification requires the start and end of both coils to be exposed, which is more commonly available on aftermarket than stock pickups.

This modification is commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as "coil tap", which actually involves bypassing part of a pickup's coil using a tap point on the coil. This also serves to reduce the pickup's output and change its sound, but is found only on single coil pickups (and even then rarely)."

Hope that makes sense its reducing USED winds verses only using 1 coil instead of 2

Ok to be clear to everyone here are the defintions

COIL TAP

"A magnetic pickup can be coil-tapped to reduce the number of windings on the pickup, making it "smoother", or less sensitive"

COIL SPLITTING

"A humbucker pickup is electrically equivalent two single-coil pickups wired together in series. Coil splitting involves shorting one of the coils to ground, essentially turning the humbucker into a single-coil pickup (not a perfect replica, though, as the magnetic circuits of the two pickup types are different). This is usually done with a DPDT switch, but can also be done with a push-pull pot. Some manufacturers have used a pot to vary the amount of signal shorted to ground from one coil, thus producing a range of tones between a humbucker and a single-coil. Coil splitting results in a sound that's brighter and has less output than a full humbucker. It also eliminates the humbucker's noise-cancelling properties. This modification requires the start and end of both coils to be exposed, which is more commonly available on aftermarket than stock pickups.

This modification is commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as "coil tap", which actually involves bypassing part of a pickup's coil using a tap point on the coil. This also serves to reduce the pickup's output and change its sound, but is found only on single coil pickups (and even then rarely)."

Hope that makes sense its reducing USED winds verses only using 1 coil instead of 2

I know exactly what each term means, it seems you struggle with the differing concepts though.

This modification is commonly (and incorrectly) referred to as "coil tap"

As would most other people hence why I posted the info.

I'm not a LUTHER and not many others would be either...

So because some incorrectly refer to it as a coil-tap, you decided to perpetuate the incorrect meaning rather than use the correct term in the first place, now that makes sense.

I've never heard this.........

and I think it is not correct

B0002CZUZ6-3.jpg

NeckShape.jpg

Good discussion...I have seen this particular pic before showing neck shapes, and the funny thing is, it was used next to others showing disagreement in what is described in neck shapes.

Regarding Gibson neck shapes (and the Epi descriptions) THIS pic you are showing makes sense. But, notice that the diagram of the difference between 50's and 60's shows the 60's as being more like the "C" shape in the pic. In my experience, the Gibby's that have thinner necks vary greatly between the pic of the "D" and the "C" shape. For the MOST part, what Gibson calls a "60's" neck means thin front to back, and they vary greatly from one guitar to another (inconsistent) in the amount of shoulder.

Now...refer to the pic. See the one described as a "U" shape? Gibson does not refer to any of thier necks as having a "u" shape, but many larger ones (AND what Gibson refers to as "50"s necks) actually have a shape that resembles that one. Specifically, a DEEP neck with a shoulder on it like the "D" neck in the pic. What Fender calls a "u" shape is actually more like the "soft v" like in the pic-specifically, a lot of depth to the neck, but little shoulder. When, (especially regarding fenders, THAT I can say for sure) when someone describes a "D" neck they mean rounder and fatter with more depth than a "C" neck which will have a soft curve but very little shoulder.

Now, also, regarding Epiphones personally, I think it can get even harder. Mainly, many EPi's I have felt that were SUPPOSED to have this beefy, 50's neck is actually quite more like the "soft v"-although fat front to back, has little shoulder and kinda feels skinny from side to side. Also felt some of a more average shape that was thinner but filled the hand more. I could easily see where someone may play an EPI neck, and think it was one or the other. I have also played one recently (the Bonamassa) that felt like I was playing a 2" plumbing pipe.

Pete. It seems you have missed the main idea - the OP was trying to share his experience with the new Tribute version. That was the main idea.

You got hung up on specific detail errors that he made.

You may have extensive specialized knowledge, but many here are not at your "level" and cutting them some slack or at least being a little sensitive to them might be consistent with your over five thousand posts and the experience you must have gained.

May I point out that you, obviously a detail oriented perfectionist, have not yourself used the correct wording in your last post. May I quote you?

Quote, "Correct informations are important, too.", and "Wrong informations are useless.". Unquote

Obviously you inaccurately used the word "informations" when the correct word is "information", in the context of your sentence, if written in correct English grammar. Details of communication are also important and reflect upon your communication skills. Using the language correctly helps readers understand what you are trying to say.

By your own account, you too make errors. Showing some tolerance of the errors of others is a gift, and applying tactful communication skills may lead to some other people reaching the plus five thousand posts mark, rather than turning them off.

Lots of incorrect data is shared here. Helping clarify and correct the incorrect data is valuable and appreciated, but should be done in the spirit of constructive criticism, without sounding rude or crude. Some lightening up on well meaning guys like the OP would totally be appreciated by the majority of people that have to read your posts.

Correcting data errors and congenial, respectful communication is greatly appreciated.

No big deal, but a little more tolerance or cooperative communication will gain you the respect that your over five thousand posts seem to indicate you should deserve. It almost sounds to me, new to this forum, that you have become embittered somewhere along the way to your incredible over five thousand posts. It's never to late to soften your perspective, as so eloquently described in Charles Dickens, "A Christmas Carol", featuring the infamous but enlightened "Scrooge".

Lightening up is a virtue that can enhance your ability to communicate more effectively without turning off prospective forum participants.

I know I was offended by your persistent indignant hammering of the OP. Ease up dude, please.....

Archived