Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts on the gretsch Rancher

JuanCarlosVejar

I have taken several out for a test drive - all mid-1950s to early 1960s. Although they have a laminate top, this is one guitar I wanted to like maybe cuz I thought they looked so darn cool. Bottom line is that the Rancher is one of the thinnest sounding guitars I have ever played. No bass or mids to speak of but very trebly.

I had 3 Gretsches last year, the Tennessee Rose 62FT model, a 6120-DSW model and a Country Gent 62 model like Harrisons.

I sold the TR because it was a case queen, it looked and sounded amazing, but I hardly used it as I would normally go for the 6120 or the gent, most often the gent. I'm a huge Stone Roses fan, so the gent is the natural choice here.

I'm quite a fan of Gretsch Archtops though, it's the closest you can get to feeling like playing an acoustic on an electric guitar I feel. I was using 13's on the 6120 and 12's on the gent, but I've knocked them down to 12's on the 6120 and 11's on the gent. I wouldn't go any lighter or they lose some of the growl in my opinion.

Sweet guitars though, you could do a lot worse.

Archived