Gibson Brands Forums

The first direct contact

E-minor7

Lots of cool pics of Keith and the boys here [biggrin]

http://www.rollingst...recording-exile

Aarrrhaa – Check the upper right corner and the blonde H-bird/rose-saddle theory is confirmed. Now we're yet another step closer, still one step behind.

Both saddles had a life in the Stones camp.

But which one defined the mythical sound ?

I keep saying ceraMick -

Played in front of and recorded by extremely well-skilled visionary engineers and produces, let's not forget -

That's the thing, on exile in particular this wasn't totally the case. The documentary of it shows little soundproofing going on, some tracks were recorded with one person in a basement room, others in a room down the hall etc... all in very hot sweaty conditions which wasn't quite what they'd become accustomed to by that time. It just goes to show sometimes the best sounds are not captured in optimal settings, or even in a proper recording facility.

Food for thought.......

That's the thing, on exile in particular this wasn't totally the case. The documentary of it shows little soundproofing going on, some tracks were recorded with one person in a basement room, others in a room down the hall etc... all in very hot sweaty conditions which wasn't quite what they'd become accustomed to by that time. It just goes to show sometimes the best sounds are not captured in optimal settings, or even in a proper recording facility.

Food for thought.......

My point too.

Good technicians don't make great music alone, they just make sure all the subtleties of the playing are given a proper treatment.

Great musicians with great instruments do . [thumbup]

"Sweet Virginia" and "Sweet Black Angel" from Exile are two prime examples.

Of course it's a mix between the band and their staff. British and American bands would have been much thinner cups of tea had it not been for the producers, engineers and high quality studios around them. Just go and check old rock records from countries that weren't that far ahead and you'll notice. . .

And don't forget they took the Nellcôte recordings to L.A. and finished the work in an authorized studio there. Apart from the fact that I saw about 8 concerts since '84 and kinda followed them with 1 eye all my life, I'm not a power-fan. F.x. I don't know the Exile album too well – is there a lot of blonde H-bird on those tracks. In that case we almost know it must be rose.

Not an H-Bird , but some acoustic footage in keeping with the thread.....

Vourot – Thanx for the top-clip. Keith manage the country-folk-style better than I thought.

Not a H-bird, but I think it's a Gibson. I've seen John B. Sebastian play a G with a simular pick-guard.

Is it a ceramic saddle trying to change hands in the end, , , he he he

Archived