Gibson Brands Forums

The first direct contact

E-minor7

Been searching for a clear view on a Stones Hummingbird for a long time, but on all photos I came across either Jaggers, Richards or Jones' right arm was in the way.

By pure coincidence I ran into this one the other day. It's from the well-known '68 Beggars Banquet sessions and here we have the answer : It's a ceramic saddle !

Finally-itsceramic.jpg

Now there is another picture of Keith sitting on some stairs with a blonde Bird – and that one might have rosewood. Anyway, , , ceramic right here. And I'm almost sure that material is behind the so talked about classic acoustic Stones sound. Chime in Mick !

Now there is another picture of Keith sitting on some stairs with a blonde Bird – and that one might have rosewood. Anyway, , , ceramic right here. And I'm almost sure that material is behind the so talked about classic acoustic Stones sound. Chime in Mick !

I'd like to see Keith's picture [smile]

The picture was posted on these pages recently. But take a look here : Keithwrosewoodsaddle.jpgAnd notice the ceramic saddle in his left hand !

Posted here! Oups looks like I Missed it [blush]

Thanks for posting; never saw that one before, and it's a pretty cool one [thumbup]

I guess most of ya'll ain't old enough to remember that in the mid-1960s HBs came with ceramic saddles. I am guessing the reason you don't see moree of them is that many folks removed them as quickly as they dumped the adjustable saddles. But they are still out there. In the past couple of years, our local music shop has had two HBs in still toting those saddles.

I guess most of ya'll ain't old enough to remember that in the mid-1960s HBs came with ceramic saddles.

Oh, I imagine plenty of us are old enough to remember those ceramic saddles. Had one on a '65 B25n, along with the incredibly ill conceived plastic bridge. As for Jagger, Jones, & Richards, the first three Stones albums were like my bible in '64 & '65, and thankfully they helped reopen the window into American blues. But the Stones dropped off a lot for me musically after the third album, and recently I lost a ton of respect for these guys after reading Richard's book. Funny, a thread like this popped up on the LP forum, too. Same deal, but substitute an ES-330. My response is the same to both: couldn't care less what they played.

In fact you don't have to be a dinosaur to know about the ceramic saddles. Just visit the Bay or a high-end vintage guitar store and they'll rain down around you. The interesting thing is the important sound difference between ceramic and rosewood (the 2 possibilities back then). Almost an existential choice : sharp/clear or round/mellow.

And so vital for the classic rock/folk tracks many ears still enjoy so much.

Not least the acoustic Stones sound is a big topic there. It's referred to everywhere, asked for and discussed again and again. It's close to being a phenomenon in modern music and some spend years trying to recreate this holy sonic grail.

Something tells me not few of those aren't aware of the saddle factor. They should have an idea after goin' through this thread. . .

In fact you don't have to be a dinosaur to know about the ceramic saddles. Just visit the Bay or a high-end vintage guitar store and they'll rain down around you. The interesting thing is the important sound difference between ceramic and rosewood (the 2 possibilities back then). Almost an existential choice : sharp/clear or round/mellow.

And so vital for the classic rock/folk tracks many ears still enjoy so much.

[

There's another option here that ADJ bridge owners might consider. I had a '68 rosewood saddle adj bridge, and routed out the saddle portion and replaced it with a conventional bone saddle. It wasn't as good as replacing the whole thing with a fixed bridge, but it definitely was an intermediate step in the right direction. There is no doubt in my mind, based on my own experience, that the rosewood adjustable insert muffles the highs pretty significantly.

I've gone back to the original belly-up non-adjustable bridge design on that guitar, and it will be intereting to see if I can hear the tonal difference, and what it is.

I have no experience with the ceramic insert.

Ooouh yes, you can have inserts in many materials. What I talked about in the previous post was the original 60'ties options.

I got inserts in ceramic – rosewood – rosewood/bone – old vase ivory – tusq. But the most interesting is this one for my '63 SJ. I've shown it before and gladly do it again.

My own idea carried out by good luthier Torb - bone/rose :

SJ63TwinSaddle2.jpg

By the way, personally I'm not after neither the Stones or the Donovan sound. I go for what I consider the max for the respective guitar -

I have no experience with the ceramic insert.

The ceramic insert & associated hardware made for a pretty heavy structure, which one would think should impact the guitar's tone or volume significantly. On the old B25n, I had the plastic bridge w/ceramic saddle removed & replaced it all with an ebony bridge & bone nut. To my amazement, the tone & projection changed very little. Still, the change stabilized a structurally risky area. A finish crack & lifting area had developing at one of the plastic bridge's screw points. After pulling off all the hardware associated with the crazy stock set up, I kept it in a baggie & still have it. It weighs a ton!

It's probably nothing, but does anyone else notice something about this picture of Keith Richards in his longjohns? My wife mentioned it to me when she saw the pic.....Hell, I don't know or care. Just glad Gibson has played such a big role in the world of music. :unsure:

It's probably nothing, but does anyone else notice something about this picture of Keith Richards in his longjohns? My wife mentioned it to me when she saw the pic.....Hell, I don't know or care. Just glad Gibson has played such a big role in the world of music. :unsure:

I thought you were going to mention the Gargoyles....or Gargirls.......but your wife....she...she's got a pretty good eye there....you're lookin at the guitar and shes lookin at....

Didn't really want to go there.....but hey, it was the years of sex and drugs and rock and roll, so maybe he was just trolling....

Just remember the nasty things he said about Mick in this regard.

One of the best concerts I've ever been to: Stones/Heart/Warren Zevon, Boulder, CO, Tattoo You tour. I was stunned by how great they were. (not to mention...Warren!!! RIP)

Unfortunately I don't remember a large portion of the show. Or of the 70's early 80's.

Archived